Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

7 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-12-2022, 07:31 PM -
Week 6 starts out with a new HC. Steve Wilks takes over and tries to put the Panthers back in the win column. It's going to be a tough "ask" though.  The Panthers travel to the Left coast (AKA "West" coast..) to play pat-a-cake with the Rams. For those who don't know, or don't remember, or don't care, ...... the Rams are the reigning Super Bowl Champions. Of course this is a new year, and they HAVE been under-performing so far. But that likely will just get them riled up and they'll take out their frustrations on poor little old us.  And you can bet there won't be a "sea of blue" in the stadium to welcome Carolina to LA.

Having "set the stage", I will now say that I believe the Panthers have a better chance this week than they had last week. ***sigh*** Unless Baker Mayfield somehow ends up on the field. If so, there will be a new NFL record number of "batted", "deflected", "knocked down" passes to go along with some INTs and Fumbles.
Fbmad

Okay. Now it's up to you.  I may have some more productive thoughts a bit later......... Maybe.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-13-2022, 05:32 PM -
I think its interesting.... what happened to Mayfield. He said something about someone stepping or falling on his foot. Then the official report says something about a "high ankle sprain". Mayfield shows up in a walking boot. Mayfield listed as DNP on the Injury Report. Then reports of Mayfield on the sideline "taking snaps" while PJ and Jacob Eason are running the practices.  Something about this seems a little "off." ---- Just not sure.....

So Mayfield is not going to IR (apparently..). They want to keep him available in case of .....What.??

Huh Huh
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-13-2022, 06:45 PM -
(10-13-2022, 05:32 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I think its interesting.... what happened to Mayfield. He said something about someone stepping or falling on his foot. Then the official report says something about a "high ankle sprain". Mayfield shows up in a walking boot. Mayfield listed as DNP on the Injury Report. Then reports of Mayfield on the sideline "taking snaps" while PJ and Jacob Eason are running the practices.  Something about this seems a little "off." ---- Just not sure.....

So Mayfield is not going to IR (apparently..). They want to keep him available in case of .....What.??

Huh Huh

Trying to keep that 4th rounder, that’s what.  ?
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-13-2022, 07:02 PM -
(10-13-2022, 06:45 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote:
(10-13-2022, 05:32 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I think its interesting.... what happened to Mayfield. He said something about someone stepping or falling on his foot. Then the official report says something about a "high ankle sprain". Mayfield shows up in a walking boot. Mayfield listed as DNP on the Injury Report. Then reports of Mayfield on the sideline "taking snaps" while PJ and Jacob Eason are running the practices.  Something about this seems a little "off." ---- Just not sure.....

Huh Huh

Trying to keep that 4th rounder, that’s what.  ?

So...You're saying that if he went on IR, that would reflect on the deal in some way.??  I don't know the explicit terms of the deal (obviously..), but I don't recall anything damaging about injuries or IR or..??  Just games played as a percentage of the total ---- or maybe it was the number of "snaps".??
I don't remember.... Was it "Games started"..??  Or was it playing time.??

I guess I could look it up.........  Maybe later.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-13-2022, 10:36 PM -
Mayfield would have to play 70% of the snaps for it to become a 4th round pick.  I’m saying that the “injury” is mighty convenient, or we will know for sure if it was when we look back and he only played 60ish %
This post was last modified: 10-13-2022, 10:38 PM by BlackCatzFan.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-14-2022, 03:14 AM -
(10-13-2022, 10:36 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Mayfield would have to play 70% of the snaps for it to become a 4th round pick.  I’m saying that the “injury” is mighty convenient, or we will know for sure if it was when we look back and he only played 60ish %

Oh Okay... So you're saying it's based on "snaps". So 70% of Offensive snaps means we owe Cleveland a 4th Rnd pick. Less than that means a 5th Rnd.

So, nothing about number of games played or started. Nothing in there about injuries affecting the numbers.??  Nothing in there about a stint on IR affecting compensation.??

What was the stipulation in the contract for Mayfield's salary.?? He was supposed to be able to "earn" back some of the millions he gave up (some sort of a "bonus structure") ??? .....if he "did something". Was it "games won"...."playoffs" ...  "completion percentage" ... OR ..???  I guess I should know this stuff.

Thanks, BCF

AND yeah, I agree about the injury thing. That's what I was saying up there ^^^. It doesn't pass the "smell test."

This post was last modified: 10-14-2022, 03:48 AM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-14-2022, 11:00 AM -
Well..... Week 6 is here and the Panthers are on the road. Travel is to LA to play the Rams.  Since last week's drubbing at the hands of the 49ers, there has been little in the way of silver linings to the Panthers cloudy days. As the week started the news about Rhule and his personal minions hit the street. Then all of the "HYPE" over Aaron Donald (although it is VERY well deserved hype..) took over the information boulevard.  The end result was that the men 'in the know'  Wink Tongue  set the Rams as the favorite on the moneyline (of course-- who else..). That put the Panthers as a resounding 9 point "dog" as we entered the week. It's been slowly slipping.....

The current status shows the spread at 10.5  with an over/under at 41.  If the Rams wake up from their sleep-walking, they will cover that spread. So the question is..... Do you take the points and bet the Panthers, or do you give the points and bet the Rams to cover.

Hmmm..... If I were a betting man (and I most assuredly am NOT...), I would take the points and bet the Panthers.  We will probably lose, so you can see why I don't bet.!!  Tongue
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-18-2022, 09:49 AM -
Well, as you can see, I would have failed miserably last week against the money line. The 10.5 points offered would not have been enough and my bet taking the Panthers plus the points would have cost me.  So, it's obvious now why I don't bet.!!!  Tongue  My early sentiment, saying that the Rams should cover the spread, was correct, and a wise wager would have been the Rams to cover even giving away 10.5.

So, I wonder where the line will be this week as the Panthers take on the Bucs at B of A in Charlotte.??

AND... What about the game last week against the Rams.??  Well, the first half was better than I expected. The second half was a disaster. The whole second half --- NO points scored.  For the whole game, only 2-10 3rd down conversions. That's abysmal.!!  McCaffrey goes off for a buck sixty on 20 touches. The rest of the offense gained 45 net yards -- TOTAL for the game.  WTH.. Depressed Wtfsign 

Were there ANY bright spots..??  Hmmm......Hard to say.  McCaffrey continues to perform in an offense that is terrible.  PJ Walker looked OK in the 1st quarter.  And Jacob Eason was decent in his first appearance for the Panthers. Only his second career NFL game.....  The Panthers Defense scored for the third time this year, and now leads the NFL in Scoring Defense.  That's about it.....  Depressed Bag