Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-02-2022, 10:16 AM -
Eight weeks down --- nine to go. This game puts us over the halfway mark for the regular season. So in the first eight weeks the Panthers are 2-6. That is not saying very much for a professional sports team. But there are a few bright spots which we'll touch on here as we muddle along in the misery that is the Panthers season so far.

So, week 9. In math parlance, the game this week represents the 'median' of the season. The mid-point, count wise, where there are the same number of games behind you as there are in front of you. Measures of central tendency can be confusing, so I won't go into the intricacies, so lets just say at half-time of this game against the Bengals, we will be exactly halfway through the season. Is that important.??  Meh......Maybe.?? But probably not. We currently have two wins. If the rest of the season goes like the first half..... we'll end up with four wins. Which will guarantee (sort of...) a nice high pick in the draft in 2023.

So, is that all there is to say about week 9..??  Nope.... There's more. This week we roll into Cincinnati as a guest of the Bengals. The Bengals are one of five teams the Panthers have played the LEAST over the years. Those five teams have each been played six times. The Bengals (3-2-1); Titans (3-3); Ravens (4-2); Texans (4-2); Broncos (1-5).  Of those five teams, we play three of them this year....the Bengals, the Ravens, and the Broncos. We are essentially even up against the Bengals and the Titans, we're ahead of the Ravens and Texans, and we are sadly dragging behind the Broncos.

This week the Bengals will probably pose a stern test. Last year the Bengals won the AFC North division (10-7), then went on to beat the Raiders and the Titans in the Divisional playoffs. They then beat the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game before losing to the Rams in the Super Bowl. It turned into a great season for them after a rather inauspicious start (10-7). This year they're starting rather slowly again. Currently they sit at 4-4, and have a fairly tough schedule ahead as do the Panthers.

The Bengals, however, have one position locked-down. Their QB slot is rock solid. Joe Burrow is leading the team and is playing well. Two weeks ago they beat the Falcons with Burrow throwing for 481 yards... IIRC. Last week against the Browns they lost to a superior rushing team.  That fact gives the Panthers some hope if we can continue to punish opponents on the ground, and IF our Defense is on the ball and ready to stop an impressive air attack.

At this point, early in the week, the Panthers are 9 point underdogs. Playing against a favored opponent should be familiar ground for the Panthers as they have been "dogs" all year.  We'll see how the week plays out as we move forward.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-03-2022, 09:48 AM -
We'd probably be even against the Ravens if Gettleman hadn't made Smitty see blood 'n' guts.

The last two weeks have been enjoyable football to watch. I again expect a loss but I'm open to surprises. Hopefully, we can get off to a quicker start. I'd love to see the offense clicking in the first quarter. But my real (realistic?) hope is to just see an exciting game.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-03-2022, 10:56 AM -
(11-03-2022, 09:48 AM)coffee Wrote: We'd probably be even against the Ravens if Gettleman hadn't made Smitty see blood 'n' guts.

The last two weeks have been enjoyable football to watch.  I again expect a loss but I'm open to surprises.  Hopefully, we can get off to a quicker start.  I'd love to see the offense clicking in the first quarter.  But my real (realistic?) hope is to just see an exciting game.

I think you might get your wish.  There should be some fireworks in there somewhere. I really think the Bengals (Joe Burrow..) have too much juice for us... although if our 'D" comes to play, it should be a good game. 

I'll give PJ Walker some credit here. And, I'll also admit our "O" play-calling has been a lot better recently.  Fireworks..??  Yes, I think so.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-04-2022, 12:17 AM -
Just watched the NFL Network Video Preview for this coming week. I thought it was sort of informative although, once again, the Panthers get no love. Or as Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "I tell ya... I don't get no respect".

Still, it's a pretty good synopsis of what might be coming at us this week. The Panthers success (or lack thereof..) will hinge on our Defense getting pressure and good downfield coverage.  If we can get decent coverage, we WILL get some pressure. Then all we have to do is score more points than they do.  See... I told you it would be easy.   Taunt

Take a few minutes and watch this. And be especially observant at the end where they put the prognosticators "crystal ball 'winners'" up on the screen.
I tell ya... "I don't get no respect".

NFL Network Week 9 Video Preview:

Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-04-2022, 07:24 AM -
DON'T  FORGET ....

DST ends this Sunday. We're back to EST (here around Charlotte..).  Actual change occurs at 2:00 AM Sunday morning....so set your clocks BACK an hour Saturday night before you start counting sheep.  Otherwise........ well, uhh, you know.....  You'll be too early for everything.

Of course, if you're like most folks these days (I ASSume..) your 'phone time' will handle that mundane task for you.  Your VCR however....Oops, probably don't have one of those.

Well, maybe your kitchen or wall clock.....
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-04-2022, 03:44 PM -
Thank you for the reminder. Wish we could turn the clock back two or three years.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-05-2022, 12:05 PM -
So.... How does it look this week..???  Week 9 opened up with the Panthers as a 9 point "dog". The week has slowly progressed to the point where the odds are slowly moving a tiny bit and the 'vision' of the sports betters has clarified. 

As of this morning (Saturday..), the line has the Panthers at +7 instead of +9. So the rush away from Carolina toward the Bengals has moderated a little as the game time draws closer. Along with the spread, the Over/Under has changed slightly as well. Right now, according to CBS Sportsline the O/U is sitting at 42.5...... And the moneyline shows Cincinnati at -345 and Carolina at +270.  So, what does all of that mean..?? Truthfully, I don't know. The last couple of weeks I have tried to interpret the "odds" and make 'test bets' according to what I'm seeing. The only thing I've learned is that "you just can't tell" what is going to happen. Hence my general apathy toward sports betting.  That, plus the fact I don't really have enough "undesignated capital" to risk on a serious bet tends to suppress my eagerness to do so.

My general opinion is that our Panthers don't have enough "lead in our pencil" to make the Bengals bend to our wishes.  So, I'm thinking the Bengals win this one at their 'home' field by 7-10 points. O/U = ???? (who knows..).
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-05-2022, 06:03 PM -
Ok, here goes.  We look like man to man we trust each other as a team.  That’s BIG.  Guys loving up Pinero after the game.  Love that mentality.  Might not b playoffs, but competitive.  I like that.  Also our play on the field has picked up.  I love our current direction after the trade deadline.  8 games to play.  Go fellas!

Just my humble thoughts.
This post was last modified: 11-05-2022, 06:05 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-06-2022, 07:37 AM -
(11-05-2022, 06:03 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Ok, here goes.  We look like man to man we trust each other as a team.  That’s BIG.  Guys loving up Pinero after the game.  Love that mentality.  Might not b playoffs, but competitive.  I like that.  Also our play on the field has picked up.  I love our current direction after the trade deadline.  8 games to play.  Go fellas!

Just my humble thoughts.

NICE....And I agree.  Just don't think we have enough Oomph to beat the Bengals... Especially if Joe Burrow is playing like he has been recently.

Hope I'm wrong..!! Big Grin
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-07-2022, 04:44 PM -
Well, not going to say much more about last game. Not much TO say. It ended just about like I expected....only WORSE. When an opposing team turns you into a "one-trick pony", there is not much hope.  We were NOT ready and it showed.  Even our Defense was terrible. 3rd down conversion percentage was TERRIBLE. The ONLY bright spot I can remember was Blackshear making another huge return.  Mayfield's "success" mopping up in 'garbage time' was just that.....  Nothing to see here folks, just taking out the trash....

Fbmad Fbcry