Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-07-2022, 09:15 AM -
A day after PJ Walker was benched for Baker Mayfield, the Carolina Panthers have activated Quarterback Sam Darnold to the Active Roster.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-a...am-darnold

CHARLOTTE — A day after playing both quarterbacks during a 42-21 loss to the Bengals, the Panthers added a third one to the mix.

The team activated Sam Darnold to the 53-man roster.

He was designated to return from IR on Oct. 19, and has practiced since then. Darnold suffered an ankle injury in the preseason finale against Buffalo on Aug. 26.

Before the injury, Darnold had lost a training camp competition for the starting job to Baker Mayfield. Mayfield replaced replacement starter PJ Walker at halftime of Sunday's game, when the Panthers were trailing 35-0.

The Panthers had an open spot on the 53-man roster, so they didn't have to make a corresponding move to activate Darnold.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-07-2022, 03:59 PM -
I've been wondering if Darnold was going back on IR. It would have been "season ending" if he had. Glad to see him activated.  Nothing we have done so far has been particularly successful. 

I think the team, mentally, is in the dumps. It's too late to do anything to turn this season around, realistically. Of course, it's still theoretically possible for the Panthers to make the playoffs. And it's still possible for the team to have a winning season (theoretically..). But what happens from here on out has more than just a little bearing on the team and coaching changes to come.  It will be interesting to see how this mess plays out....
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-07-2022, 04:11 PM -
During the game yesterday I honestly wondered if that loss, after what I thought would be a certain win last week, took the wind out of their sails.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-07-2022, 04:22 PM -
(11-07-2022, 04:11 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: During the game yesterday I honestly wondered if that loss, after what I thought would be a certain win last week, took the wind out of their sails.

YES.... That, plus playing this week on Thursday night on a short week against the same team from a previous loss.....  Even though this game is at BofA, it will NOT be a pleasant atmosphere on the field.

Someone here, not sure who it was, said something a few weeks back about not being worried about Marcus Mariota. And statistically, that is probably true. However, the Falcons have ALWAYS played us tough.  And Mariota is no slouch. If we are not very careful, we will have our asses handed to us again.  As a matter of fact, I don't think we have "a snowball's chance in hell" to win this game..... unless something drastic changes.
This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 04:24 PM by Hobbit99.