IT'S A LONG SHOT IN A DARK HALLWAY, BUT THERE'S STILL A CHANCE....
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-12-2022, 12:00 PM -
.... That we make the playoffs.

BUT, it would mean us having to win every game the rest of the season.  The good and bad about that is that there are only four games left, and include the Steelers, Lions, Bucs, and Saints.

https://www.panthers.com/news/updated-nf...er-week-14

CAROLINA (5-8)
Remaining games: Pittsburgh, Detroit, at Tampa Bay, at New Orleans.

Record of remaining opponents: 21-31

What it looks like: The Week 7 win over the Bucs looms large. Not only was it the first under interim coach Steve Wilks, it gave the Panthers what could be a crucial leg up in the tiebreaker process. (More on that below.)

The Steelers are struggling to score points, and rookie quarterback Kenny Pickett left yesterday's game with a concussion and backup Mitch Trubisky threw three interceptions. The Lions game on Christmas Eve certainly looks different than it did a month ago as well.

But they've given themselves a chance now, especially since they're 3-0 at home under Wilks.

Never tell me the odds (Tell me the odds): According to the New York Times, the Panthers jumped from a 10 percent chance to a 19 percent chance by beating the Seahawks. There's still a lot of work to do, and obviously, the Week 17 trip to Tampa could be a de facto play-in game. But they have to take care of business between now and then or hope for even more chaos to make it matter.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-12-2022, 12:23 PM -
Well technically, I don't think we would HAVE to win every game. If the Bucs lose a couple (or more) and we beat them and the Saints, we could theoretically win the division with seven or eight wins.....

I haven't done all of the math, but it seems like it should be possible.  OTOH, if we are the master of our own future and win every game, then we definitely control our destiny.
PantherFan007
Administrator

12-13-2022, 06:09 AM -
The only thing I say about it is that unless we are good.... REAL good, we should have zero expectations even if we made the playoffs.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

12-13-2022, 11:35 AM -
(12-13-2022, 06:09 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: The only thing I say about it is that unless we are good.... REAL good, we should have zero expectations even if we made the playoffs.

TRUTH.....   Worship

However, it won't take much to show improvement over the past few seasons.  Right now, that's all I'm hoping for.  Back when.....WAY back, before the season started, the question was asked "What would you consider to be a successful season.?" This question was asked in reference to Rhule's continued existence here as a HC.  My response back then was  "A winning season..". While playing a 17 game season, a "winning season" would require nine (9) wins.  THAT is still possible (theoretically..).  SO... after the bungled mess that represented the first half+ of the Panthers' season, I will GLADLY accept any improvement over these last games. I would hate to settle for six wins (but even THAT would be an improvement..). So, seven wins, eight, or maybe (???) nine wins, would be a pleasant surprise and make me deliriously happy, considering the hole we were in and are now trying to climb out of.

You take your  small  pleasures where and when you can.....
PantherFan007
Administrator

12-14-2022, 05:57 PM -
And truth be told, winning promotes mental attitude and fight drive. Winning out just might put our team on the "Next Level" necessary to do well in the Playoffs. Remember the 7-9 wild-card Pittsburg Steelers who won the Super Bowl several years ago. Not saying we are a Super Bowl team because I really don't believe that at this point, but I'm saying circumstances change and anything is possible.
This post was last modified: 12-14-2022, 05:57 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

12-14-2022, 06:19 PM -
(12-14-2022, 05:57 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: And truth be told, winning promotes mental attitude and fight drive.  Winning out just might put our team on the "Next Level" necessary to do well in the Playoffs.  Remember the 7-9 wild-card Pittsburg Steelers who won the Super Bowl several years ago.  Not saying we are a Super Bowl team because I really don't believe that at this point, but I'm saying circumstances change and anything is possible.

YES... and well said..!!