Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

2 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
12-27-2022, 11:47 PM -
We are down to two weeks (two games..) left in the regular season. These next two games will tell a story. While the Panthers have not been a decisive team this year, they have shown up quite a bit better over the last eight weeks or so. The two remaining games are against Division opponents and WILL determine the possibility of a Panthers playoff appearance. 

This weeks game is against the TB Bucs. A win is necessary for the Panthers to gain a berth in the NFC Playoff picture. The week opened with the Panthers showing up as a 5.5 point underdog. As the days passed, the spread has slowly morphed closer together and currently the Panthers are only 3.0 to 3.5 point "dogs" depending on which betting line you believe.

It's hard to figure this game. Brady and the Bucs have not played well this year. And the Panthers have already beaten the Bucs in their first Division matchup.  The way the Panthers are playing "smash-mouth" football, it isn't difficult to believe in the possibility of another Panthers win. However, Brady is ALWAYS tough and seems to have a way of pulling games out, and winning from behind.  This game will be a tough-fought battle with the winner just "surviving" (probably..).
This post was last modified: 12-27-2022, 11:49 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

12-31-2022, 12:23 PM -
Well, it's Saturday before the game. There is a lot of apprehension surrounding the game for various reasons, but primarily because the Panthers are without their top Outside Corners. With Donte Jackson out earlier in the year with a torn achilles tendon, and now JayCee Horn out with a broken wrist, the Panthers D-backs are going to be hard-pressed to hold the line against Brady on Sunday. Josh Norman will be needed, at least situationally. Let's hope he is ready to play.

The universal consensus seems to be that Brady and the Bucs will prevail in this matchup. Of course, the Panthers have been on the 'outside' of the oddsmakers all year. So why should this game be any different.? The Panthers have been playing good football for a change. After the last few years, that is a little difficult to "see and understand." Still, the Panthers will have to "up their game" on Sunday if they want to survive. After last week's OT win against the Cardinals, it is obvious that Brady still knows 'how to win'. But that game also showed us that a good defense can shut the Bucs down. The Cardinals held the Bucs in check for the whole game..... and then lost in OT. So, it can be done. Just have to go out there, put on your 'big-girl panties', and punch 'em in the mouth.  HARD.

This game may be the defining moment for Steve Wilks this year. If he has the guys ready to play, the Panthers whole season could "turn" on this game. It won't make a "winning season", but it could erase some of the bad taste left by the early part of the year.  I'm hoping... Fingers crossed.

Look for a forced fumble or two. I really expect Norman to 'demonstrate' the "Peanut Punch" at some point during the game. An interception or two would be nice as well.

Where is Optimus Prime when you need him..???
Headbang
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

12-31-2022, 07:20 PM -
Saturday evening... 7:00 PM --  Final thoughts (for today at least..).

I've been thinking about this game all day (and yesterday too..). I've watched the recent games and looked at the betting lines. Honestly, I have to say I think this game belongs to the Panthers. I know the sports books think the Bucs are 3--3 1/2 point favorite. But, like most every week, I think they have missed the point here. This game belongs to the team who WANTS it more. I believe the Panthers want to win this one. And I believe that Steve Wilks has them mentally ready to win. The only question is about the performance.  Have to wait and see how bad they want it.

So, the heck with the Bucs 3 1/2 point favoritism.  I'm going with the Panthers against the spread. It won't be a high scoring game, but the Panthers win by 7-10. Panthers 24-14 (or thereabouts..).

Incidentally, even though the betting lines have the Bucs favored, the prognosticators on the Panthers website who are typically picking against the Panthers, are favoring the Panthers slightly...   Huh

PANTHERS.COM:  Pickin' It-- Favors Panthers.?? -- # SHOCKED.!!