• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,299 posts 742 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-16-2023, 10:33 AM -
Fbwow Fbwow Fbwow Fbwow

This could be a GAME CHANGER!  (Pun intended!)   Fblaugh

My choice might change now that Payton is in the running.  Not sure the Panthers will be the team that ultimately signs him, but if they did, I would be stoked.  

Panthers receive permission from Saints to interview Sean Payton for head coaching job (nfl.com)

The Panthers are the latest team to enter the Sean Payton sweepstakes.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that Carolina has received permission from the New Orleans Saints to interview Payton for its vacant head coaching job, per a source.

The Panthers join the Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos and Houston Texans as teams set to interview the Super Bowl-winning coach this offseason. In-person interviews between HC candidates and teams are allowed starting on Tuesday, Jan. 17.

After walking away from the Saints following the 2021 season, Payton, 59, spent the 2022 season as an NFL analyst for FOX Sports. However, Payton's contract with New Orleans, which doesn't expire until after the 2024 season, will require compensation from any team seeking to acquire his services in 2023.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis announced on Friday that the team will retain Dennis Allen for a second season, clearing a path toward New Orleans getting a return on the franchise's all-time winningest coach.

"We haven't settled on exactly what the compensation is going to be yet," Loomis said. "They're well aware that there is going to be compensation."

Carolina fired Matt Rhule after a 1-4 start to the 2022 season. Interim HC Steve Wilks righted Carolina's ship, leading the team to 6-6 record and kept the Panthers in the running for the NFC South title up until Week 17.

Wilks has already completed an interview for the Panthers head coaching job, along with veteran coach Jim Caldwell and former Colts coach Frank Reich. Payton is the 12th coach on the Panthers' radar so far during this hiring cycle.

New Orleans allowing a division rival to interview Payton is an interesting caveat to the Panthers' search, but they will likely have to sweeten the deal in order to make him a future Saints foe.
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-16-2023, 10:36 AM -
Now that I have had thirty or so seconds to reconsider, I might still hang with Coach Wilks.  The Saints are going to want the farm in compensation for Payton, and WIlks won't really cost us anything other than his salary.

The Saints want a First Round Draft Pick plus (just as a starter).  With seven teams or so wanting to interview him, I'd say let's not even consider.  By the time the cards are laid on the table, I would be willing to bet it would hurt the team more in draft picks than it would help in coaching quality.
This post was last modified: 01-16-2023, 10:39 AM by PantherFan007.
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-16-2023, 10:53 AM -
Nope, nope, just NOPE.  Not worth it.

Here's what the Saints want in return for Payton.  I can't even believe the Panthers have already agreed to these terms just to interview him.  They have to be stupid.

What a Panthers trade for Sean Payton might bring to the Saints (msn.com)

2023 first round pick (No. 9) 2023 second round pick (No. 60) 2023 fourth round pick (No. 113) 2023 fourth round pick (No. 130) 2024 third round pick 2024 fourth round pick

That’s a big haul, and there’s room to negotiate some of those mid-round picks down a frame or two. But it leaves Carolina with the coach they covet most while still owning picks in rounds two (No. 39), three (No. 92), five, and seven, as well as most of their 2024 selections (including, most critically, each of their picks in the top two rounds). New Orleans ends up with five picks inside the first 114 slots and the means to reshape their roster or climb the board higher targeting a game-changing prospect. Their 2024 draft class is also fortified, which is important since the Saint won’t have a second rounder after trading it to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

756 posts 84 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-16-2023, 02:13 PM -
(01-16-2023, 10:36 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Now that I have had thirty or so seconds to reconsider, I might still hang with Coach Wilks.  The Saints are going to want the farm in compensation for Payton, and WIlks won't really cost us anything other than his salary.

The Saints want a First Round Draft Pick plus (just as a starter).  With seven teams or so wanting to interview him, I'd say let's not even consider.  By the time the cards are laid on the table, I would be willing to bet it would hurt the team more in draft picks than it would help in coaching quality.

My gut tells me that Steve is out of the running. It’s been a week and they are still interviewing… I just feel that if Steve was the ONE, an announcement would have been made within a couple days, max. 

Again, I wouldn’t have been disappointed had he or if he gets the job…
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-16-2023, 03:44 PM -
(01-16-2023, 02:13 PM)Firstchance Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 10:36 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Now that I have had thirty or so seconds to reconsider, I might still hang with Coach Wilks.  The Saints are going to want the farm in compensation for Payton, and WIlks won't really cost us anything other than his salary.

My gut tells me that Steve is out of the running. It’s been a week and they are still interviewing… I just feel that if Steve was the ONE, an announcement would have been made within a couple days, max. 

I didn't want to say that, but I was feeling kinda the same way.    But, I don't see us giving away the kids and grandkids for another coach, regardless if it's Sean Payton.  

The word "enamored" keeps coming up with Lions' Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson when talking about Tepper.  Johnson hasn't even interviewed yet.  Word is that Tepper wants an Offensive Minded Head Coach.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

01-16-2023, 04:04 PM -
(01-16-2023, 03:44 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 02:13 PM)Firstchance Wrote:

I didn't want to say that, but I was feeling kinda the same way.    But, I don't see us giving away the kids and grandkids for another coach, regardless if it's Sean Payton.  

The word "enamored" keeps coming up with Lions' Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson when talking about Tepper.  Johnson hasn't even interviewed yet.  Word is that Tepper wants an Offensive Minded Head Coach.

Yes, if that is their asking price they can ask until there are cows on the moon.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,289 posts 66 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-17-2023, 12:21 AM -
If it costs us a first rounder, I’d be out. Still hoping for Wilks. Dc interviews interesting.

(01-17-2023, 12:21 AM)Josh21 Wrote: If it costs us a first rounder, I’d be out.  Still hoping for Wilks.  Dc interviews interesting.

Holcomb asst hc?  Or does that mean Wilkes is out?
This post was last modified: 01-17-2023, 12:23 AM by Josh21.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

01-17-2023, 08:21 AM -
Would like to make one suggestion concerning Payton.

We need to remember that whichever team he lands with, he will understand that teams core value and its collection on draft picks over at least the next two years. So whatever a team gives up to get him, affects him.

While he will probably get 10 million a year (heck he walked away from 8.5), I believe he will choose the team that he sees as having the best opportunity to win both right away and for the near future. He is no dummy, he will look at every aspect, every detail. And he will accept the team he feels will be the best this year, next year and the year after.
Now the question is, which team is that?

This also includes his feelings with the entire front office including that of the owner.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

01-18-2023, 04:46 PM -
Looks like the Payton interview happens Friday!
In New York?