Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-28-2023, 08:24 AM -
I don't personally see this panning out, but I digress.  Time will tell.

https://www.nfl.com/news/former-raiders-...e-nfl-scou

Free-agent quarterback Derek Carr will be meeting with a "handful" of teams this week in Indianapolis during the NFL Scouting Combine, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per sources, on Monday during an appearance on NFL Total Access.

On Tuesday morning, Rapoport reported that Carr will have in-person free agent meetings with the Jets, the Saints and the Panthers.

Carr, who was released by the Raiders on Feb. 14 after being benched for the final two games of the 2022 season, has already visited with the Saints and the Jets during his search for his next destination. And now Carr is taking advantage of every team converging during the combine in order to have talks with some other potential options.

Multiple teams are likely to be in the market for a new QB for 2023, but Carr has a time advantage over these other players. While other impending free-agent quarterbacks are required to wait until after the start of free agency on March 15 to sign somewhere, Carr could sign now due to being released by Las Vegas.
This post was last modified: 02-28-2023, 08:25 AM by PantherFan007.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-28-2023, 10:37 AM -
He’d be an immediate upgrade over anything we’d get in the FA market, (barring Lamar Jackson) as he’s durable and serviceable. But his price tag will be more than we could afford
PantherFan007
Administrator

02-28-2023, 06:11 PM -
As I just read in another article (and which I completely agree), Derek Carr wants too much money to sign on a team that wouldn't offer him more than a two year deal at most. Better options "short term" would be Sam Darnold, Jimmy G, or Jacoby Brissett

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pan...6d5a&ei=29
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-01-2023, 07:02 PM -
"THE PANTHERS ARE STILL TALKING TO "PRIME' FREE AGENT DEREK CARR"

The Panthers are still investigating and studying the QB situation..... as might be expected. It's obvious Frank Reich respects Carr but is also 'aware' enough to avoid "tipping his hand" about the consensus (if there is one) that surrounds the QB position.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out before the draft.

Panthers writer Augusta Stone has a nice article about Derek Carr and Panthers interest....

PANTHERS.COM:  Panthers & Derek Carr
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-01-2023, 07:09 PM -
He is wanting $35Million per year to sign.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-01-2023, 07:24 PM -
(03-01-2023, 07:09 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: He is wanting $35Million per year to sign.

Well....Maybe..??

That's what the early pundits were saying, but I've heard little following that early blurb.  Could be correct though.  I suspect that he will sign some sort of an "intent" before too long.  I don't see the Panthers investing that much, but he would definitely be the best QB in the NFC South  (At least right now..!!).
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-02-2023, 12:34 AM -
At that he’d be a starter, no question. We can do that with a few guys. Lamar n Aaron. We need to snag a vet(close to a starter), on a 2 year deal, draft we’ll (at all positions) . Didn’t say we’d get those qbs, but somebody will.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-06-2023, 10:21 AM -
This whole thing with Derek Carr MIGHT be a smokescreen, although I doubt it. It's too early in the process to be trying to fake out anyone about your QB intent.  I think the whole QB situation is fluid  and will probably remain that way for awhile. Have to wait and see, I guess.

Anyway, the Panthers are "visiting' again with Carr early this week. According to Scott Fitterer, its likely to be today (Monday..). Probably just an online "video" interview this time, but who knows....???
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-06-2023, 01:45 PM -
NFL free agency: Saints sign Derek Carr to 4-year, $150M deal, including $100M in total guarantees, per report

(03-06-2023, 01:45 PM)Firstchance Wrote: NFL free agency: Saints sign Derek Carr to 4-year, $150M deal, including $100M in total guarantees, per report

Not worth a new thread.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 01:46 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-06-2023, 01:48 PM -
This is the one QB mystery that really concerns me.  For the following reason(s).

First, the Panthers have expressed a serious interest in Carr. Along with the expressed interest, the Panthers have talked with his agent and with him before the Combine. The Panthers met with Carr at the Combine...one of their allowed "in-person" visits. The Panthers announced that they were "meeting" with Carr again early this week (Probably Monday---Today..).

Second, Derek Carr IS a very viable Veteran QB. He's had a terrific career based on statistics over the past nine (9) years. He has played very effectively for nine tears.... all for the Raiders. That would seem to indicate that he would be a reliable veteran here as well.... OR wherever he signs on.

Third, Carr has been tied to the Saints and the Bucs at various times this spring.  And THAT is the most worrisome. Carr would be THE Prime-Mover QB in the NFC South if he were to sign with any one of the four teams.  If the Saints sign Carr, or if the Bucs were to sign him, the Panthers would have a 
S T E E P mountain to climb to be relevant in the Division race. And that's saying nothing about Atlanta.....who COULD be a dark horse in this deal as well.

SO... If the Panthers don't sign Carr, let's all pray he signs with the Jets or ...??? (Anywhere but the NFC South..).

Understand this.... I am NOT advocating for signing Carr (money being the primary issue..). I do however recognize his KSAs (Knowledge, Skill, Ability).  AND sincerely hope and pray we won't have to face him twice this coming year.

That's the view from here...and obviously is just IMHO....

(03-06-2023, 01:45 PM)Firstchance Wrote: NFL free agency: Saints sign Derek Carr to 4-year, $150M deal, including $100M in total guarantees, per report

Not worth a new thread.

WELL.... SH*T...

SMH..... Well, there goes my worst nightmare.  FIRST had to go and ruin my day. AND it's still early in the day.  Things can still get worse...
Cry Depressed Sick

Report according to Rappoport and Garafolo.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 02:15 PM by Hobbit99.