Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-06-2023, 08:15 AM -
H

Just saying.  And it's okay if y'all don't agree, but Jeezes H. Peete, this kid has got it.   If you can watch THIS video and not hope we draft him, I don't know what to think.  lol Big Grin  He is a competitor.  He wants to win.  He wants to be the best there is.  Who wouldn't want their quarterback to feel that way?

This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 08:17 AM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-06-2023, 10:12 AM -
YES....  Thumbsup

Of course, we're only seeing the GOOD, highlight-worthy plays, but still...

It shows the skill set and the capability as well as the will to win.  He's my favorite as well in the early going, if, IF we can go up far enough to get him.
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-06-2023, 03:10 PM -
(03-06-2023, 10:12 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: YES....  Thumbsup

Of course, we're only seeing the GOOD, highlight-worthy plays, but still...

It shows the skill set and the capability as well as the will to win.  He's my favorite as well in the early going, if, IF we can go up far enough to get him.

I think we HAVE to be at #4 to get him, and that is probably going to be the Bears after trading with Indy.  (Indy might grab him, but I doubt they'd make him the #1 overall pick).  It would cost us less to trade up to #4, and he'd "probably" still be there.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-06-2023, 05:02 PM -
Here is a good scouting report on Levis. And I wouldn’t jump off a building if we drafted him @9… but don’t expect miracles. He has potential. My first choice is to resign Darnold, sign Wentz, draft Hooker after trading down, simply wait until next year, what a qb class it will be and then draft Levis at 9… in that order.

Of yea, the scouting reports:

Will Levis was a consensus three-star recruit and the No. 2 player in the state of Connecticut. Levis lettered in football and baseball while in high school. His college career began at Penn State. After redshirting as a freshman, Levis never took over the starting quarterback position—he was used as a power-running goal-line weapon. He transferred to Kentucky after the 2020 season and has started for the Wildcats since 2021. There, he has shown flashes of high-quality quarterback play with his tantalizing sets of physical tools.

Levis epitomizes the phrase “bet on traits.” He has the requisite size/build, mobility, and arm talent NFL evaluators long for. His arm strength is outstanding and well on par among some of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. He has the ability to fit passes into tight windows and generate velocity/RPMs with minimal effort. Levis has the arm talent to make all of the NFL-caliber throws. His throwing mechanics are clean, sharp, and aesthetically pleasing. Levis throws with a compact motion and a snappy release.

The combination of his mobility and size can put man-to-man coverages in conflict. If left unaccounted for, Levis can scramble for big yards once he breaks contain. In addition, he expands the playbook with QB keepers, power, counter, and zone-read concepts. This ability will force defenses to play “11 on 11.”

During his two seasons at Kentucky, Levis has run a form of Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan’s NFL offenses. This is a feather in his cap regarding terminology, making protection checks, and calls at the line of scrimmage pre-snap. Levis has all of the physical traits to become a “truck” for an NFL offense and carry them to positive outcomes.

At times, Levis trusts his arm too much and will test coverage windows with multiple defenders. This results in turnovers or near-turnover throws. Levis does not consistently move defenders with his eyes by looking them off. Accuracy and ball placement are not high in the strength column for Levis. His lower-body mechanics are routinely inconsistent. He starts his drops with a long slide, bounce, and regather that prohibits Levis from being set to throw quickly or consistently. He needs to settle his feet to take full advantage of quick-hitting concepts on a consistent basis. Levis has incredible arm strength but he lacks the touch or ball speed on downfield passes. He struggles with the right amount of air under his deep passes. Levis tends to lock onto his initial passing option while holding onto the football without pivoting to the next read in the progression. Levis must cut down on turnovers and protect the football better to ever reach his potential ceiling. Throughout his collegiate career, he has 25 interceptions and 17 fumbles. This must be cleaned up.

In projecting Levis to the NFL, patience will need to be exercised. Yes, he has the build, athleticism, and high-octane arm talent, but he is not a finished product. Levis played in two NFL offenses but was given a ton of half or narrow-field reads. He is most effective with play-action off the run fake and in the quick passing game. Levis is a timing and rhythm passer. He uses his legs to help settle him down in games and give defenses different looks. He has everything you look for in a potential franchise quarterback. Just understand, there are rough edges that require smoothing out. He’s a high-ceiling prospect with a diverse set of NFL outcomes. Levis could become the next Josh Allen and/or Justin Herbert. On the flip side, he could become Carson Wentz and/or Jake Locker.

Top Reasons to Buy In:

High-octane arm talent
Prototypical mold at position
High-ceiling/upside
Top Reasons For Concern:

Slow processing
Turnovers
Decision-making
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-06-2023, 08:37 PM -
In his defense (and playing the devil's advocate), he has the intangibles that you cannot teach. His shortcomings can be trained out of him, especially with a former NFL Quarterback as Head Coach and former NFL Quarterback as Quarterback's Coach.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-06-2023, 08:42 PM -
(03-06-2023, 08:37 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: In his defense (and playing the devil's advocate), he has the intangibles that you cannot teach.  His shortcomings can be trained out of him, especially with a former NFL Quarterback as Head Coach and former NFL Quarterback as Quarterback's Coach.

Agree
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,759 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-06-2023, 09:00 PM -
(03-06-2023, 08:37 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: In his defense (and playing the devil's advocate), he has the intangibles that you cannot teach.  His shortcomings can be trained out of him, especially with a former NFL Quarterback as Head Coach and former NFL Quarterback as Quarterback's Coach.

(03-06-2023, 08:42 PM)Firstchance Wrote:

Agree

Agreed.

Of the four top QBs in this years draft class, I like Levis the best as the most NFL ready experience. I also like Stroud.  I just believe Stroud and Young will be gone REALLY early and maybe Richardson as well. That gives us a better shot at Levis further down the draft order.  I LIKE Hendon Hooker (I've said it several times..), but his recent injury status concerns me.