Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-16-2023, 09:12 AM -
https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-r...s-contract

CHARLOTTE — The Panthers created some more salary cap flexibility on Wednesday as they headed into free agency.

The team reworked the contract of tight end Ian Thomas, clearing some cap space for the next two years.

The 26-year-old Thomas signed a three-year contract extension last offseason.

The Panthers have been aggressive adding parts on offense already, agreeing to deals with running back Miles Sanders, tight end Hayden Hurst, and backup quarterback Andy Dalton after bringing back center Bradley Bozeman to create stability up front.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-16-2023, 10:34 AM -
This may have been a "restructure" in name only.  The reality of it is... Ian Thomas has agreed to take some salary cuts  over the next couple of years. So, it's actually a "reworked" contract with different money (LESS..) involved.  I'm happy to have Thomas, but i expect him to take a backseat to Hayden Hurst. Ian Thomas (and probably Tommy Tremble..) will see infrequent use except in two TE sets. My GUESS...
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-16-2023, 11:07 AM -
(03-16-2023, 10:34 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: This may have been a "restructure" in name only.  The reality of it is... Ian Thomas has agreed to take some salary cuts  over the next couple of years. So, it's actually a "reworked" contract with different money (LESS..) involved.  I'm happy to have Thomas, but i expect him to take a backseat to Hayden Hurst. Ian Thomas (and probably Tommy Tremble..) will see infrequent use except in two TE sets. My GUESS...

No disrespect meant to Thomas, but Hayden Hurst is a MUCH better all-around Tight End than Ian Thomas.  But, if they use the offense I expect them to, you can expect to see Ian Thomas get more looks this season than before.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-16-2023, 02:24 PM -
(03-16-2023, 11:07 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 10:34 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: This may have been a "restructure" in name only.  The reality of it is... Ian Thomas has agreed to take some salary cuts  over the next couple of years. So, it's actually a "reworked" contract with different money (LESS..) involved.  I'm happy to have Thomas, but i expect him to take a backseat to Hayden Hurst. Ian Thomas (and probably Tommy Tremble..) will see infrequent use except in two TE sets. My GUESS...

No disrespect meant to Thomas, but Hayden Hurst is a MUCH better all-around Tight End than Ian Thomas.  But, if they use the offense I expect them to, you can expect to see Ian Thomas get more looks this season than before.

Other than for blocking, I actually prefer Tommy Tremble. He has good hands and he can play out of the back field as well as on the line.
This post was last modified: 03-16-2023, 02:25 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-16-2023, 04:07 PM -
(03-16-2023, 02:24 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 11:07 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:

Other than for blocking, I actually prefer Tommy Tremble. He has good hands and he can play out of the back field as well as on the line.

Oh, yeah, I love Tommy Tremble, no doubt.  But Hayden is a much more physical and powerful TE.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-17-2023, 06:16 AM -

Spot on Hobbit, this one was more like a 3 million dollar haircut. Still more than fair to Thomas, last years deal was a little out of “fairness”…
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-17-2023, 02:06 PM -
(03-17-2023, 06:16 AM)Firstchance Wrote:

Spot on Hobbit, this one was more like a 3 million dollar haircut. Still more than fair to Thomas, last years deal was a little out of “fairness”…

Exactly right....  Now that he's played several years, we know. Now, it's easier to see he was overpaid. Thomas was a 4th rounder in 2018. So up until last year he was playing on his rookie contract. The bump he got last year was excessive. Hind sight makes it so much easier...  Biggrin