Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-30-2023, 02:21 PM -
There will be more to come, I'm certain. Here is Anthony Richardson with Steve Smith....

Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-30-2023, 10:05 PM -
After watching Richardson again, I am starting to see what some others are seeing. Richardson looks like a real 'casual' type of guy. Maybe that's not the best way to describe him, but he looks really smooth and natural throwing the ball. Nothing looks forced. While Levis has the best "arm" as far as strength is concerned, Richardson has some other traits.  If you put those two side by side, you can see Levis has bigger arms, forearms, biceps, big strong Lats.... Richardson has more "long" strength, long, wiry muscles, not bulky.

Richardson isn't ready, but if he progresses he could end up being a real terror on the field.  Especially considering his speed and his willingness to run.  There are some other interesting things as well...

I'm starting to re-think QBs...
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-30-2023, 10:42 PM -
He threw 25-30 yards sitting on his @$$. He’s impressive. All upside though. Man, what a descision.

U see it?

https://twitter.com/ZachCohenFB/status/1...6795003906

The head guys got a crazy descicion

IQ, size, production, potential, arm talent, athleticism... What do we value?we have put ourselves in a position that we can’t miss on. They mortgaged future for THIS guy. Better b sure.
This post was last modified: 03-30-2023, 11:22 PM by Josh21.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-31-2023, 05:09 AM -
I've liked what I have seen from Richardson for several months now. 

The FIRST thing that jumps out at me on that video is how much larger he is than Steve Smith, compared to Bryce Young who looked smaller than Steve Smith on their video.

I'm not sure Richardson would warrant what we gave up to move up to #1, especially when lined up against the other top guys, but had we stayed at #9 I would have had not problem if we picked him.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-31-2023, 12:17 PM -
(03-31-2023, 05:09 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I've liked what I have seen from Richardson for several months now. 

The FIRST thing that jumps out at me on that video is how much larger he is than Steve Smith, compared to Bryce Young who looked smaller than Steve Smith on their video.

I'm not sure Richardson would warrant what we gave up to move up to #1, especially when lined up against the other top guys, but had we stayed at #9 I would have had not problem if we picked him.

I think Richardson will be worth it. He has the strength and skills to make it big. But not this year. He's a year away, maybe a year and a half or two years.  His PRIMARY asset is his age. With his physicality at his age....he'll be 21 in his 1st year....he has a potentially BIG future ahead of him.

However, the Panthers are drafting for THIS year (I THINK..ASSUME..etc.). Based on that, I firmly believe that all four QBs will be off the board before #9.  Too many teams wanting QBs. If we had stayed at #9, we wouldn't have got a QB......Well, maybe Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee, or Stetson Bennett.
Depending on how the players fall, we may see some of the lower ranked QBs jump up into the 1st round..  Huh
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-31-2023, 08:59 PM -
(03-31-2023, 12:17 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 05:09 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I've liked what I have seen from Richardson for several months now. 

I think Richardson will be worth it. He has the strength and skills to make it big. But not this year. He's a year away, maybe a year and a half or two years.  His PRIMARY asset is his age. With his physicality at his age....he'll be 21 in his 1st year....he has a potentially BIG future ahead of him.

However, the Panthers are drafting for THIS year (I THINK..ASSUME..etc.). Based on that, I firmly believe that all four QBs will be off the board before #9.  Too many teams wanting QBs. If we had stayed at #9, we wouldn't have got a QB......Well, maybe Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee, or Stetson Bennett.
Depending on how the players fall, we may see some of the lower ranked QBs jump up into the 1st round..  Huh

NOT saying they won't decide to draft him, but ONLY if they think they can win right away with him. Perhaps they can lean on Andy Dalton for five or six games to give him time to acclimate to the NFL, but they want to win now.  One thing is for sure, he'd be fun to watch on Sundays, much like Cam was back in the day.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-01-2023, 02:49 PM -
(03-31-2023, 08:59 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: NOT saying they won't decide to draft him, but ONLY if they think they can win right away with him. Perhaps they can lean on Andy Dalton for five or six games to give him time to acclimate to the NFL, but they want to win now.  One thing is for sure, he'd be fun to watch on Sundays, much like Cam was back in the day.

Yes, I agree. That's the thing. Everything is a trade-off. Richardson is NOT ready. But, with the right coaching  (HERE is where you start wondering about our new coaching staff..), Richardson could be the next BIG thing.  He is rough around the edges. He has a little bit of an attitude problem. He has a big EGO.  But in today's NFL, you MUST believe in yourself. So, I don't fault him too much on the EGO thing.....

You can't help but see this guy in a year or so dominating the field. He has a really smooth manner. He is a natural thrower. He is aware. He moves with the ball. He has speed. He has size.  There is a lot of potential and a lot to like.

As I mentioned up there ^^^, and as you said as well, everything depends on whether the Panthers want to draft for "Right Now" or for "Future & Long Term". I suspect Stroud will be the pick, and is probably the best option for "right now".  I hope he turns out to be really good.  I just have a feeling Richardson is going to tear things up in a year or so.....

One more thing. Go back and watch that interview. I was very pleasantly surprised. Richardson did a good job. For a 20-21 year old with no real experience to fall back on....... Not bad..!!!
This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 02:54 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-01-2023, 07:18 PM -
I think that Richardson, not unlike Cam Newton, wants to be famous. He wants to be an icon. He didn't say those exact words, but it exudes from him. That's okay, too. It's great to think you're great. But at some point, you're going to have to start backing up those words, and with the first overall pick, you had darned well better be able to do it today.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-01-2023, 11:14 PM -
Think Stroud’s the pick. Richardson is likely # 2.

Looking for a hr here.

Big guys, one elite talent, one elite potential.

I’d love either w our offensive coaching staff. If they can’t coach a #1 no one can.
This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 11:20 PM by Josh21.