PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-15-2023, 09:05 PM -
This guy is 6'7

He weighs 269 pounds

He runs a 4.6 forty.

And he's a Tight End. 

I've seen him mocked to us a couple of times in the 2nd Round, and i have to say I wouldn't hate it.

The dude is going to be a rock star in the NFL.

Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-15-2023, 10:18 PM -
Good hands, supersized for the position, supposedly great blocker; lots of 6th olineman talks. I love the kid. I’m a big ht, wt, speed guy. I like to look for the “freak” athelete. He would qualify! I don’t know if he’ll last that long, but if we can pair him n Hurst with what we got? I’d give it an A.

For the sake of CYA, bpa, or what’s the best available edge/dl, wr, te, cb, rb. In that order. MHO
This post was last modified: 04-15-2023, 10:24 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-16-2023, 02:43 AM -
YES.... I love to imagine these guys on the field. Darnell Washington is a specimen.!!  As Josh said, supposed to be everything you could want as a blocker. Apparently still needs some time as a receiver. Has all of the tools though. Interestingly...just FYI, This guy has already been here for a Top-30 Pre-Draft Interview.

Have to wonder though... A pick at #39 is supposed to be an immediate player.  Since we picked up Hayden Hurst and we already have at least three others (Thomas, Tremble, & Ricci...), that gives us four TEs on the roster. As much as I like this guy, and I REALLY do, I wonder if the #39 pick wouldn't be better served as a CB or OLB/EDGE guy..???
Huh

Had to go back and look at the tape that 007 posted.  I don't know about his route tree or route running, but his hands look fine.!! No apparent problems catching the ball. That dude is a LOAD. Not afraid of contact. Fearless.
Thumbsup
This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 03:01 AM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

04-16-2023, 03:17 AM -
Understand the cb/edge thought. Why I said it. This guys a unicorn. If he’s bpa? Gotta b considered. Not many of him available..

Who’d u rather have at 39? Any position.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-16-2023, 09:51 AM -
(04-16-2023, 02:43 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: YES.... I love to imagine these guys on the field. Darnell Washington is a specimen.!!  As Josh said, supposed to be everything you could want as a blocker. Apparently still needs some time as a receiver. Has all of the tools though. Interestingly...just FYI, This guy has already been here for a Top-30 Pre-Draft Interview.

Have to wonder though... A pick at #39 is supposed to be an immediate player.  Since we picked up Hayden Hurst and we already have at least three others (Thomas, Tremble, & Ricci...), that gives us four TEs on the roster. As much as I like this guy, and I REALLY do, I wonder if the #39 pick wouldn't be better served as a CB or OLB/EDGE guy..???
Huh

Had to go back and look at the tape that 007 posted.  I don't know about his route tree or route running, but his hands look fine.!! No apparent problems catching the ball. That dude is a LOAD. Not afraid of contact. Fearless.
Thumbsup

On one of those videos the announcers talk about him being a "sixth lineman".  He's big enough, blocks really great, and can help protect the quarterback as well.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-16-2023, 07:49 PM -
(04-16-2023, 03:17 AM)Josh21 Wrote: Understand the cb/edge thought.  Why I said it.  This guys a unicorn.  If he’s bpa?  Gotta b considered.  Not many of him available..

Who’d u rather have at 39?  Any position.

As much as I like Darnell Washington, and I DO like him a LOT. I would rather see us take someone like Will McDonald IV (Iowa State..); Drew Sanders (Arkansas); or BJ Ojulari (LSU)....or maybe Felix Anudike-Uzomah (Kansas State).   Sanders is supposed to be a LB. The other three are "Edge" guys.  Of those four I mentioned, Sanders is the most prolific at QB pressure, although the other three are very good also.  Of course, all of them might be gone at 39. But I THINK a couple of them at least will still be there.

Understand, I'm not opposed to Darnell Washington. I just think he wouldn't get too much work at TE because of our recent signing. That would make the pick sort of "wasted" if he didn't play much...
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-16-2023, 08:17 PM -
Truth is, as the other post mentions, he'll probably be gone before he gets to us anyways, but it's always fun to think about it for a bit lol
Josh21
Posting Freak

04-16-2023, 09:08 PM -
Hurst hasn’t posted 600 yards in a season yet.  My thoughts.  He could use help.  Tremble, Thomas, n Sullivan better battle either way.  Non of them have impressed, except blocking.  Sullivan is the sleeper as a pass catcher.  Thomas n tremble block well.  Tremble catches better.  Ricci is classified as a fb.  Seemingly safe.

Just saying I’d love the BIG te. Only if he’s bpa. I’d LOVE him in the 3rd rd. Trade up!
This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 09:22 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-17-2023, 09:17 AM -
(04-16-2023, 09:08 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Hurst hasn’t posted 600 yards in a season yet.  My thoughts.  He could use help.  Tremble, Thomas, n Sullivan better battle either way.  Non of them have impressed, except blocking.  Sullivan is the sleeper as a pass catcher.  Thomas n tremble block well.  Tremble catches better.  Ricci is classified as a fb.  Seemingly safe.

Just saying I’d love the BIG te.  Only if he’s bpa.  I’d LOVE him in the 3rd rd.  Trade up!

I really doubt that Darnell Washington is still available in the 3rd round. I'd place him as a mid 2nd rounder. Although he might not make it out of the 1st round. He's such an athletic freak, some team will take a flyer on him.

HURST:  He is a bit of an enigma. He's been in the league for five years after being drafted in the 1st round in 2018 #25 by the Ravens. He's had some injuries seems like every year. He played in 12 games in 2018, 13 games in 2021, 13 games in 2022.  Mostly muscle (soft tissue injuries), but he did have surgery in 2018 for stress fracture in his foot.  His potential remains high. We will need to get him involved in the game, especially "downfield", and keep him involved. His "numbers" for the past five years are not awe-inspiring, I'll grant you that.  BUT... Just keeping it fair, here.... If you look at the stat line, you'll notice that he has been VERY underused every year (except maybe 2020). Another thing you'll notice is his ability to catch the ball. Almost every year (except his rookie year..), his catch % is REALLY high. Even with a mediocre rookie year (56.5%), his total career catch % is above 70%. Year over year it looks like this: Rookie year 2018 = 56.5%;  2019 = 76.9%;  2020 = 63.6%;  2021 = 83.9%;  2022 = 76.5%... 

So, what is holding him back..???  In a word, it's the number of targets. You can't make catches and gain yards if they don't throw the ball to you. A couple of quick examples.... In 2021, Hurst played in 13 games, BUT only started 5 games. In 13 games he had a total of 31 targets. He caught 26 of them for a catch % of 84%. That is really high. In 2019, he played in 16 games, BUT only started 4 games. In 16 games he had a total of 39 targets. He caught 30 of them for a catch % of 77%. That also is really high.

The last thing to note also tells a story. In his first three years, Hurst was managing 11--12 yds per catch. it has been dropping since then. 8.5 YPC in 2021, and 8.0 YPC in 2022. This should tell you that his utilization is almost exclusively as a goal line option or as a 'safety-valve' or 'quick slant' or 'flat outs' receiver. Why no vertical stuff... even though his speed is good (4.65) and he has tremendous concentration and catching skills..??

I don't know what is going on, but hopefully we'll change it.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-17-2023, 03:24 PM -
Oh….Josh, forgot to mention.

We may think of Ricci as a FB, but in fact, he is listed on the roster as a TE.  Anyway, counting Ricci and Sullivan, Thomas, Tremble and Hurst, we have FIVE rostered TEs. I don’t believe we will keep them all. I think we lose one of them, maybe two, depending on how Coach Reich wants the Offense to develop. 

If we were to draft Darnell Washington…… all bets are off. It’d be a free-for-all. Bag