Bryce Young Size Debate
Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-19-2023, 12:44 PM -
There are a lot of things being said by everyone with an opinion about Bryce Young’s size. It was my initial impression, and one of the main reasons I didn’t want him.  With all the talk coming about this subject it seems to be the ONLY thing negative about the kid.  With that said, game film talks.  And as 007 said in another post, he has A LOT of highlights. Bryce’s shortest O Lineman was 6’3” and had 2 who were 6’6” ish.  Most DLinemen are anywhere from 6’3 to 6’6”.  Bryce has multiple games with over 300 passing yards and multiple touchdowns against these odds.  He only had 2 passes batted down in his career at Alabama.  Many stories amongst people who do the REAL research (watching every throw from HS to College) have said his in game processing is outstanding.  Those same people say he moves well in the pocket, and understands throwing lanes.  He is very accurate when on the move(and overall), something that’s been a small knock on CJ, despite CJ being extremely accurate, and a master at ball placement.  He is a very intelligent person, and his preparation for each game is evident.  His mind and preparation don’t remind me of a QB, but of Luke, tbh. 

Here’s a few cool things I’ve seen about this issue…

Luke’s Opinion
https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-...oungs-size

GMFB on his size 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q39SN7vmRkk

I get these articles are low hanging fruit, but I’m operating with a cellphone to do 100% of my posts.  That’s why all of my replies are so short.  Give me a break Tongue 

Thoughts?
BlackCatzFan

04-19-2023, 06:22 PM -
There was an amateur scout I saw on YouTube taking about Bryce- he stated how BY steps back with his left foot that can lead to timing issues, and it does. He does it to compensate for his height.
Just trying to be open minded.

I will say, IF we don’t go BY, we definitely should go CJ. I’m so damn back and forth, I’m so caught up in this “Silly season”
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-19-2023, 07:18 PM -
Thoughts…. The MAN (BCF) asked about thoughts.  I have one occasionally, and like a bad penny they keep turning up.  I find myself agreeing with a  bit of what BCF had to say. There are a few things that I find interesting, and possibly pertinent. I’ll pull it together here before too long.
This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 12:24 AM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-19-2023, 10:42 PM -
His size concerns me long term. He is also not gonna try to Cam it up on his runs, he goes ob, or slides. That’s promising. We all saw Tua last year. If his pocket presence/anticipation/decision making is as good as advertised it’s ok. Our o line helps, but he will need to get used to their tendencies n calls at los. I seriously don’t know if he’ll last. I hope he does, just cause PJ WAlker is 5’10. Oh, n cause we might draft him if u haven’t heard.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-20-2023, 05:55 AM -
Here is a video that, coincidentally, sums up my entire worries about Bryce Young.  I'm still praying that I hear CJ Stroud's name called at the Panthers' pick.   Watch the video.  Listen to it all. 

BlackCatzFan

04-20-2023, 09:20 AM -
My knee jerk heart wants to go with BY, my brain says CJ. That’s literally where I stand. IF IT WERE ME IN CRUNCHTIME, I’d pick CJ. He’s the safer option. His ball placement is impeccable. Everything Bryce does is ready now, but CJ can be coached to do.

I know I’m all over the place on this, and I feel like a lot of us are to one degree or another, but man…. It’s seriously one of those “tough situations” of safe vs potential. Both have potential, but longevity favors size. CJ tends to take more sacks, but it’ll only take ONE from a Tj Watt type of hitter, as we’ve seen before for BY.

I suppose another thing is this. We have a good OLINE now, probably as good as we’ve ever had, but we all know it won’t be that way in 3-4 years. There simply won’t be money for it. It’s in those 3-4 years from now that we’d have to worry about.

Ok I know I said debate, but I feel like I’m really just trying to debate my self…. (That didn’t come out right, no Dad, I don’t need to see a doctor)
This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 09:23 AM by BlackCatzFan.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-20-2023, 02:32 PM -
(04-20-2023, 09:20 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: My knee jerk heart wants to go with BY, my brain says CJ.  That’s literally where I stand.  IF IT WERE ME IN CRUNCHTIME, I’d pick CJ.  He’s the safer option.  His ball placement is impeccable. Everything Bryce does is ready now, but CJ can be coached to do.

I know I’m all over the place on this, and I feel like a lot of us are to one degree or another, but man…. It’s seriously one of those “tough situations” of safe vs potential.  Both have potential, but longevity favors size.  CJ tends to take more sacks, but it’ll only take ONE from a Tj Watt type of hitter, as we’ve seen before for BY.

I suppose another thing is this.  We have a good OLINE now, probably as good as we’ve ever had, but we all know it won’t be that way in 3-4 years.  There simply won’t be money for it.  It’s in those 3-4 years from now that we’d have to worry about. 

Ok I know I said debate, but I feel like I’m really just trying to debate my self…. (That didn’t come out right, no Dad, I don’t need to see a doctor)

You know what 'they' say about folks who talk to themselves..??  Right.??  Well, it goes double for the ones who argue with themselves.
And it gets REALLY bad when you 'lose the argument'.
Joker
This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 02:33 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-20-2023, 04:40 PM -
(04-20-2023, 09:20 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I feel like I’m really just trying to debate my self…. (That didn’t come out right, no Dad, I don’t need to see a doctor)

Just don't debate yourself in Mass.  They don't like that, even with the curtain closed lol Tongue
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-20-2023, 06:46 PM -
(04-20-2023, 04:40 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 09:20 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I feel like I’m really just trying to debate my self…. (That didn’t come out right, no Dad, I don’t need to see a doctor)

Just don't debate yourself in Mass.  They don't like that, even with the curtain closed lol Tongue

Hahahahahahaha!
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-20-2023, 06:52 PM -
(04-20-2023, 06:46 PM)Josh21 Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 04:40 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote:

Hahahahahahaha!

Big Grin