Tepper fires Soccer HC
Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
11-08-2023, 10:32 AM -
Tepper in a foul mood these days??  They just gave this guy a 2 yr extension.  Seems like Tepper has money to burn.

I don't follow that branch of football, but if the guy was so bad...why an extension followed by the boot a few weeks later??

Maybe Tepper should stick to stocks and stay out of sports.  He is very good at the first and terrible at the latter.

Charlotte FC fired head coach Christian Lattanzio, the team announced Wednesday. The team is also parting ways with assistant Andy Quy. This comes after the young franchise advanced to its first MLS playoffs this past season. “We undertook an offseason evaluation of our organization and we’re confident this move is in the best interest of the Club for 2024 and beyond,” team president Joe LaBue said in a statement. “Our Club will continue to be ambitious and strive to progress both on and off the pitch.” Lattanzio, 52, took over in May 2022 for Miguel Angel Ramirez, who was fired 14 games into Charlotte FC’s inaugural season. He signed a two-year extension last October.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports...rylink=cpy
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-08-2023, 02:55 PM -
Hey LP...

Just wondering what you've heard about this..... Other than the quoted article, maybe..??  Is there anything else out there mentioning this.??

I noticed that the quote is from the Charlotte Observer. They can be somewhat abrasive at times, although not necessarily wrong. In any event, I couldn't help but notice the firing was reported by the team President, Joe LaBue.  Your question about Tepper has merit, but still have to wonder if this move wasn't instigated by the team itself.  "We"; "...off-season evaluation"; "continue to be ambitious"; "on and odd the pitch". -- yada, yada, yada.  Sounds like the Prez. wasn't happy with the HC.

I don't know of course, but this sounds like internal strife at the team level. Especially since the team made the playoffs in their 2nd season.  Doesn't seem like something Tepper would do to a successful franchise..??

But what do I know..???
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
11-08-2023, 07:25 PM -
(11-08-2023, 02:55 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Hey LP...

Just wondering what you've heard about this..... Other than the quoted article, maybe..??  Is there anything else out there mentioning this.??

I noticed that the quote is from the Charlotte Observer. They can be somewhat abrasive at times, although not necessarily wrong. In any event, I couldn't help but notice the firing was reported by the team President, Joe LaBue.  Your question about Tepper has merit, but still have to wonder if this move wasn't instigated by the team itself.  "We"; "...off-season evaluation"; "continue to be ambitious"; "on and odd the pitch". -- yada, yada, yada.  Sounds like the Prez. wasn't happy with the HC.

I don't know of course, but this sounds like internal strife at the team level. Especially since the team made the playoffs in their 2nd season.  Doesn't seem like something Tepper would do to a successful franchise..??

But what do I know..???

I have heard nothing. It is my guess that for this to happen it would have to have Tepper's blessing.  Just for you I looked to see what The Athletic said on the topic:

Charlotte FC will soon have its third full-time head coach in three years. Ramírez was the inaugural coach in 2022 but lasted less than half the season, when he was fired and Lattanzio took over on an interim basis. Lattanzio got the full-time job and lasted one season.

Lattanzio guided the club to the playoffs during a rocky season on and off the field. The club navigated the Anton Walkes tragedy in preseason and rallied by the end of the year.

On the field, Charlotte led MLS with 25 points dropped from winning positions. Along the way, Lattanzio made some head-scratching decisions.

He over-tinkered with the lineup, putting players outside their natural positions and shifted away from the 4-4-2 he used at the end of 2022 that presumably got him the job.

It was indicative of a chasm between the front office and the staff. Sources briefed on the situation described that relationship as frayed towards the end of the season. The club didn’t make a quick decision to move on after the 5-2 loss to the New York Red Bulls in the play-in round of the playoffs but took time to analyze all departments before ultimately deciding this week that it needed to go in a different direction.

https://theathletic.com/5043938/2023/11/...rlotte-fc/
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-08-2023, 10:32 PM -
Thanks for the update.!!  So, it seems as if the HC was at odds with ??? over the way he was making "head-scratching decisions" and "over-tinkering" with the lineup. Hard to tell "who" is behind "what".  I went to the Charlotte FC website and they pretty much said the same thing.  It APPEARS as if the HC was flip-flopping the players around into NON-natural positions (whatever that means..??). I'm not sure because I know very little about the game or the positions of the players. You have to assume the players didn't like it very much and the red flag started waving.

As far as who made the final decision --- ¿Quien sabe?  Tepper could have had some input, or maybe not. I suspect he was "informed" at the very least.

Overall, it's a fairly 'compact' group of players. Something like 24 total (right now), at the end of the season. Probably will add some over the break and may lose some as well.  Honestly, I am at a loss over the makeup of the team and how they play, substitute, etc.... I know it's a  F A S T  game  so there must be players on and off of the field constantly. It might be fun to better understand the ins and outs, but OTOH I don't really have the time or the inclination to go into an in-depth study.  I know the makeup of the "Front Office" is a LOT different than an NFL team.!! Different positions and different titles as well.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-09-2023, 09:14 AM -
(11-08-2023, 02:55 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Hey LP...

But what do I know..???

I heard it on the news yesterday
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-09-2023, 09:35 AM -
(11-09-2023, 09:14 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 02:55 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I don't know of course, but this sounds like internal strife at the team level. Especially since the team made the playoffs in their 2nd season.  Doesn't seem like something Tepper would do to a successful franchise..??

But what do I know..???

I heard it on the news yesterday

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely certain there was a problem as LP mentioned.  Because I give Tepper a lot of credit as a businessman only, I find it unrealistic that he would break up a team/coaching partnership that was in the playoffs in their 2nd year. You can't argue with success.  EXCEPT if the atmosphere had become completely toxic.  That's why I believe the problems were endemic between the players and the HC. Following what the club President had to say and the personnel guy (whatever his official TITLE is..??), it seems likely that the move was made to mollify players and because the HC was making "unnatural" and highly suspect decisions. I think the club hierarchy realized that the HC had to go. No blame to be apportioned here..... I just don't think Tepper had anything to do with it, except peripherally to back up (authorize..) what the club Prez had to say.

That's the only way it makes sense (to ME) for a 2nd year successful team. (IMHO...)
Old