Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16 posts in this topic
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,193 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-04-2022, 02:01 AM -
Moton just signed a contract extension this year. 4 years I believe.

Moton + bc is a decent start.
This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 02:05 AM by Josh21.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-09-2022, 08:39 PM -
Outside of Malik Willis there is no QB I like in this draft and Malik is a mid second rounder, imo. This team and organization is still in a total rebuild and the past two years have not help one bit. Still three years away. Start by trading CM he deserves to play for a winner and still has some value but not as much when I suggested this last year. Then simply build from the trenches, your just too far away from competing. Harsh I know but truth.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-11-2022, 12:25 PM -
(01-09-2022, 08:39 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Outside of Malik Willis there is no QB I like in this draft and Malik is a mid second rounder, imo. This team and organization is still in a total rebuild and the past two years have not help one bit. Still three years away. Start by trading CM he deserves to play for a winner and still has some value but not as much when I suggested this last year. Then simply build from the trenches, your just too far away from competing. Harsh I know but truth.

Hey First... You know, sometimes it's really hard to tell about individual talent. QB play is no different. I commented elsewhere on the forum about QB draft guys. There are only a few QBs that I would rate as potential talent in their first couple of years after being drafted. We don't need another QB who is going to take years to develop. The PROBLEM is.... this draft has a real dearth of talent at the QB position. Not a good year to draft a QB. Unlike in recent years where QBs were stacked up in the top ten, THIS year there is a very real possibility that the first QB off the board will be below #10 and maybe only two in the whole first round. Depends on who needs a QB and wants to take a flier on one with less than stellar attributes, or play against top line teams. Of the top four QBs listed on most big boards, I find them ALL to be suspect mostly because of their opponents. None of them were in a power schedule....so, none have a real solid 'report card' to represent them.

Personally, I wouldn't draft any of them above #15....and I would be hesitant to do that. I think Matt Corral is the most agile and throws fairly accurately. But how he would fare against NFL defenses....Who knows.?? Kenny Pickett is another question mark. There just isn't a bunch of QB talent out there this year.

Also, I mentioned a month or two ago,,,, I think we should (and NOW I think we will..) utilize McCaffrey as a slot receiver and a RB, with the resultant special plays and play action stuff. CMC is NOT leaving right now. If you doubt what I say, just go back to his pre-draft tape and his combine appearances. He ran ALL of the RB stuff, then lined up with the receivers and ran the entire route tree, catching everything thrown. No misses. I remember the commentators at the time saying. "That's just ridiculous. He's just showing off now.!!" If they start moving him around, I'll forecast another thousand/thousand year, and maybe two or three more.!!

But, OTOH....what do I know.??
Josh21
Posting Freak

01-13-2022, 12:04 AM -
We gotta find starters at c, 2 g, n lt. Brady n moton are good. Brown ok. Need 6-7 new guys. We have 1 1st. Seems we need a t…. No more help till 4th round. I’m guessing trades. If not best ol at 6 n stick w Darnold with hopefully better protection. Who could we leverage into a 2/3 round pick, and afford to give up?

(01-11-2022, 12:25 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 08:39 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Outside of Malik Willis there is no QB I like in this draft and Malik is a mid second rounder, imo. This team and organization is still in a total rebuild and the past two years have not help one bit. Still three years away. Start by trading CM he deserves to play for a winner and still has some value but not as much when I suggested this last year. Then simply build from the trenches, your just too far away from competing. Harsh I know but truth.

Hey First... You know, sometimes it's really hard to tell about individual talent. QB play is no different. I commented elsewhere on the forum about QB draft guys. There are only a few QBs that I would rate as potential talent in their first couple of years after being drafted. We don't need another QB who is going to take years to develop. The PROBLEM is.... this draft has a real dearth of talent at the QB position. Not a good year to draft a QB. Unlike in recent years where QBs were stacked up in the top ten, THIS year there is a very real possibility that the first QB off the board will be below #10 and maybe only two in the whole first round. Depends on who needs a QB and wants to take a flier on one with less than stellar attributes, or play against top line teams. Of the top four QBs listed on most big boards, I find them ALL to be suspect mostly because of their opponents. None of them were in a power schedule....so, none have a real solid 'report card' to represent them.

Personally, I wouldn't draft any of them above #15....and I would be hesitant to do that. I think Matt Corral is the most agile and throws fairly accurately. But how he would fare against NFL defenses....Who knows.?? Kenny Pickett is another question mark. There just isn't a bunch of QB talent out there this year.

Also, I mentioned a month or two ago,,,, I think we should (and NOW I think we will..) utilize McCaffrey as a slot receiver and a RB, with the resultant special plays and play action stuff. CMC is NOT leaving right now. If you doubt what I say, just go back to his pre-draft tape and his combine appearances. He ran ALL of the RB stuff, then lined up with the receivers and ran the entire route tree, catching everything thrown. No misses. I remember the commentators at the time saying. "That's just ridiculous. He's just showing off now.!!" If they start moving him around, I'll forecast another thousand/thousand year, and maybe two or three more.!!

But, OTOH....what do I know.??

I hear u hobbit.  What about the ol?  Any thoughts?  I’d worry about that before qb by a wide margin.  Sam had 1-2 seconds most plays.  How can a qb function like that.  Answer: they don’t.
This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 12:24 AM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

01-15-2022, 11:08 PM -
How long has it been since we’ve had a back 220 lbs? A banger? Goal line guy. Cam, but since Stewart n Tolbert we haven’t had one. A secret need besides ol. Gotta b able to get 1-2 yards not running the qb. Tremble works, I’d like another/more options though.
This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 11:10 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-17-2022, 03:06 PM -
(01-13-2022, 12:04 AM)Josh21 Wrote: I hear u hobbit.  What about the ol?  Any thoughts?  I’d worry about that before qb by a wide margin.  Sam had 1-2 seconds most plays.  How can a qb function like that.  Answer: they don’t.

OL...??  Gosh, what a can of worms that could be. Start talking about it and you end up going down every rabbit hole on the field.  Actually, i think we need about two pieces to make a decent starting O-line. We have Brady Christensen who has shown he can play LT and both LG and RG. We have Moton who has played every game since he came to the Panthers. We have Deonte Brown who is definitely stout enough to play inside. As a rookie this year he didn't play much, but he is going to.! And we have Cameron Erving who plays OK (BUT not excellently..) and would make a good 'swing' tackle as long as he's not hurt. Unfortunately, he's hurt a lot of the time. Has been for his whole career. We have a couple of Cs who are sort of serviceable but could definitely be upgraded. If we can pick up a couple of guys by trade or FA, vets with some experience, then we can let Christensen and Brown GROW into starting positions. So, I think we take best available O-lineman with first pick and grab one more down the line. Then if we can pick up that vet (or two..) we should be vastly improved......AS LONG AS WE DON'T HAVE A BUNCH OF INJURIES (or Covid issues..). I really think Christensen and Brown will anchor the line along with Moton. Let Erving play "swing'. Center is the real question. I HATE drafting a center unless he is a true multi-purpose lineman. We will have several 'backup' linemen available.....maybe one of them will 'show up'.???

I think who we draft will depend on who we can sign first. Won't necessarily be a LT. Maybe an interior guy LG, RG, C....??

Then to add to the rabbit warren....We need to decide on our TEs. I think Tremble is a star in the making. I am not sure about Thomas although he has shown some ability and is a good blocker. Sullivan is really an unknown quantity...?? In addition to those guys, we have Colin Thompson a mostly unknown out of Temple (Of course--where else..??). I'd like to see Ian Thomas lose about 15-20 lbs, down to around 240-245 (he's about 260..!). At his height, he could be a real target if he could gain a little speed....and maintain his blocking ability.

I don't really know, bro. So much depends on the trade and FA market.
This post was last modified: 01-18-2022, 04:15 AM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-18-2022, 04:18 AM -
Been thinking about this O-line........

My head hurts. I've fallen and I can't get up....  Everything is so "Up in the air..."