TRIPPING-Memory Lane- Panther's Draft History...
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,760 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-12-2020, 08:40 PM -
Oh My..... What a trip.!! Take a few minutes and review this...  Some really good draft years.... AND some, not so much.!!

As you go, take special note of beginning and ending dates. Puts it all in perspective. Players careers are NOT that long.!!

https://www.panthers.com/history/draft
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-14-2020, 05:15 AM -
(04-12-2020, 08:40 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Oh My..... What a trip.!! Take a few minutes and review this...  Some really good draft years.... AND some, not so much.!!

As you go, take special note of beginning and ending dates. Puts it all in perspective. Players careers are NOT that long.!!

https://www.panthers.com/history/draft

Some careers are very short in "career terms".  How long did Foster actually play?  Many others as well.  Some of our first round picks left here, only to find themselves in the CFL or not playing at all a couple of seasons later.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,760 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-14-2020, 08:03 PM -
(04-14-2020, 05:15 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Some careers are very short in "career terms".  How long did Foster actually play?  Many others as well.  Some of our first round picks left here, only to find themselves in the CFL or not playing at all a couple of seasons later.

EXACTLY..!!!

This is a really enlightening memory trip.  SO many highly thought of draftees.!!  So many failures.!!  Way too few SUCCESS stories.....

For all of you guys who constantly 'harp' on "young college guys"; "Trade Down"; "More PICKS".....Etc, Etc., Etc.....  READ that link up there ^^^  Then NOTE how FEW of those "picks" actually "make it" in the league, and how few stay with the team that drafted them.  They bounce around for a few years, make some bucks, then fade away into NOTHING.  We have ONE player left from the 2013 draft (KK..). One left from 2015 (Shaq..). NONE left from 2014, NONE left from 2016.!!
2017, 2018, and 2019 are where our remaining draftees are located. All playing on their rookie contracts. You can add Tre Boston back into the mix if you want to. He's from 2014, but he jumped ship then decided he didn't have it so bad.....

The point is..... Draftees are good for about three years before they lose interest, wander off and disappear.  Only truly exceptional talent stays around for five or more years.  All of those draftees you're so hyped up about mostly just fall on their face after they run out of "rookie" contract.  YES, we have to renew players every year.... But we don't have to sacrifice our TOP draftees to secure a "BUNCH of picks" that quickly fade away into nothingness.........

That's the view from here..!!
This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 08:04 PM by Hobbit99.
45catfan

12 posts 1 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-19-2020, 03:37 PM -
Draft season is always bitter/sweet for me. Actually, stop...reverse that. Draft season is always sweet/bitter for me. I get so excited for the draft only to be let down nearly every year. I looked back today, I was happy with Star Lotulelei's pick (Gettleman) and then have to go back to 2008 to the last time I was excited about our first round pick. Actually, I was happy with early Marty Hurney, but he got dropped on his head after the 2008 draft and hasn't been the same since. Gross, Gamble, Williams, Beason, Stewart...happy will all those guys.
There's always next year....