Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-13-2020, 04:22 PM -
I saw some good things and some not-so-good things.

Bridgewater really impressed me, and I was glad to see a quarterback in a Panthers Uniform that understands what "Check-down" means.  He had a couple of overthrows and a couple of "almost" interceptions, but overall, considering it being his first game as a Panther and having exactly zero preseason games under his belt, I thought he looked good.  There is always room for improvement, but that goes the same for everyone.

Even CMC looked gassed by the third quarter, and we really didn't use him that much in the first half, not like last season.

We have poor run Defense and not much speed or anything else on the secondary.  Where was Jackson? Did he not play, or have I been paying so little attention that we cut him or traded him or sent him to the moon and I didn't know it?

Pharoah Cooper is just waiting to take one to the bank.  Write that down.

I applaud the team by the seven or eight lead changes (except for that last one, it was a killer).  Glad to see the team actually try to make a comeback.

But... what the unearthly hell was that last call?  Seriously?  The defense has stacked the line, and we try to run it up their gut on 4th and 1 with CMC on the outside wide open?

I don't get it.

At this point, I feel we should be a bit better than #31 on the Power Rankings Chart, though.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-13-2020, 05:16 PM -
Djax hurt most of the game.

Get back to ya on the rest. ?
This post was last modified: 09-13-2020, 05:17 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-13-2020, 06:40 PM -
Ok, Cooper is big help to our st. D didn’t do well. Not a surprise. Rooks did ok. Need time. O looked interesting. Give it couple a weeks. It’ll get good.

So d needs improvement, n the o needs time. Bout what I thought coming in. O could b good though. Real good.
This post was last modified: 09-13-2020, 06:42 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-13-2020, 07:45 PM -
Oh, n the Armah play. Showing trust in everyone. We’re spreading the ball out, why not the fb? Trust seems the theam. How better than to try to earn it? Early season test. Late season results?
Jimbo-Diddly

7 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2020
09-13-2020, 11:05 PM -
that last play call... ugh. when they converted with him earlier i was really hoping they wouldn't run the same exact play. seemed awfully pedestrian and telegraphed. either an amateurish move by Joe Brady, or they Princess Brided themselves into a failed conversion.

I mean CMC obviously or a QB sneak or run seemed the way to go. it will be a learning experience for Brady, and i guess if we're going to blow games like that, might as well do it now in the first year of the new era Panthers, when the Ws won't count as much as they will later on.

I was also hoping to see some Teddy magic. He is quite experienced and successful in these last minute game winning drives, it would've been a great way to debut. unfortunately he never had the chance. but with this defense, he's going to get a lot more chances to win in a final drive. yikes!
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-14-2020, 07:16 AM -
I'm sticking with the two-year plan viewpoint. I've decided to spend game-time rooting like I think they're going to the Super Bowl, but then take all losses as one draft spot closer to the completed rebuild.

1. I was actually shocked at the lack of sloppiness. I did not expect this game to be close. (Though it would've been much closer to a blowout if not for the horrible coverage on the Robby Anderson TD.)
2. I hate, hate , hate the fake crowd noise. It was just wrong, cheering when nothing happened or when bad things happened, etc. I would much rather it be quiet.
3. This team simply has no identity yet. I don't think that's anyone's fault, but right now it feels like watching the 4th preseason game.
4. Overall, I thought they played much better than expected. I think we'll see this D abused much worse before it gets better, but it looks like we're further along in getting it fixed than I had thought.
Jimbo-Diddly

7 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2020
09-14-2020, 12:44 PM -
(09-14-2020, 07:16 AM)coffee Wrote: I'm sticking with the two-year plan viewpoint.  I've decided to spend game-time rooting like I think they're going to the Super Bowl, but then take all losses as one draft spot closer to the completed rebuild.

1. I was actually shocked at the lack of sloppiness.  I did not expect this game to be close.  (Though it would've been much closer to a blowout if not for the horrible coverage on the Robby Anderson TD.)
2. I hate, hate , hate the fake crowd noise. It was just wrong, cheering when nothing happened or when bad things happened, etc.  I would much rather it be quiet.
3. This team simply has no identity yet.  I don't think that's anyone's fault, but right now it feels like watching the 4th preseason game.
4. Overall, I thought they played much better than expected.  I think we'll see this D abused much worse before it gets better, but it looks like we're further along in getting it fixed than I had thought.

fake crowd noise makes no sense to me unless they're allowed to play it loud enough to distract the visiting teams offense.  but the Vikings-Packers game?  they played ambient stadium noise when Aaron Rodgers was up.  Other than doing everything they could to make Rodgers comfortable and cozy, what other point did that serve??  I much preferred the Saints-Bucs game, where you could hear the players shouting different stuff on both sides of the ball.  added a whole new element to watching.

And this is by far the worst defense Teddy has played with.  and that's not a knock on the Panthers, but he's played with Top 5 Top 10 defenses his whole career, so ran his offense accordingly.  I kind of like Teddy being thrown in the deep end like this, where he's going to need to score 30+ to win, where before it was more about making key plays at key moments (which he always came thru on).   but it's going to take until October probably before Teddy really gets into a groove and plays at his normal level.  and while i still can't get a read on this offensive line, he has the weapons around him.  while Michael Thomas is a unique kind of player, the Panthers receivers as a unit are much better than the Saints had last year, and I always felt Alvin Kamara was the discount version of McCaffrey.  and i'm guessing this is exactly what Brady and Rhule were thinking too when picturing Teddy here.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-14-2020, 10:20 PM -
U just been following teddy jd? No team?
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-17-2020, 10:57 PM -
Anyone else notice Jeremy Chin seeming to be everywhere? That kid is good.
Josh21
Posting Freak

09-19-2020, 11:28 PM -
Chin was great. We had some good plays, just not enough. Gotta stop the run. Big thing this year. Improve from 30some points. Need more consistent help. Chin should b active. So should the rest of the guys. Takes 11 to stop the run. Pass too, but we have a run problem. Only 90some yards, but 3 freaking tds... that’s a lack of toughness. Gotta have that tomorrow. N gotta put Brady on the ground.