Deshaun Watson
Started by coffee

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-17-2021, 06:02 PM -
Yes, I know there would be a million things to overcome, but I still have to ask if anyone has thoughts about it.

I don't know what his contract is, what he'd expect to make, etc. etc. etc.  I know we'd have to do a ton of work to make the money work out.  I also know you can always make the money work out if you want something bad enough.  Multiple GMs and previous GMs have said that repeatedly in interviews.  Here are a few of the things that make me wonder if we'd try to get him:

1. He apparently wants out of Houston BAD.  He was awesome this year.  Thus he'd be an awesome QB gotten for at least somewhat of a bargain price.  

2. Houston should have a HIGH pick because of a terrible year, but they don't.  They gave it away to Miami.  In fact, they don't pick until the 3rd round.  We have a pick high enough to get a potentially good QB.

3. A trade with us would get DW out of their conference.

4.  We have a brand new GM who would love to make an early impact on our team.  Looking at our needs, what position do you think he'll be targeting to accomplish that?

5. Deshaun would get to come to a team with a great receiving crew and that was one winning drive away from tons of wins this year, even without their best player.  

OK, tear it apart.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-18-2021, 09:22 PM -
The only, and I repeat only "knock" I have against Deshaun Watson is Clemson lol.

But, you apparently aren't the only person mulling this around:

https://www.nfl.com/news/teams-calling-t...phins-jets

Teams calling Texans about Deshaun Watson's availability; could Panthers be suitor for QB?

Deshaun Watson is not happy in Houston. Like with all disgruntled stars, the QB's discontent has led to rampant speculation that he could force a trade from the Texans.

The reports that Watson wants out have led other clubs to enquire about said availability.

To get the facts out of the way first before we delve into theory crafting: No one in Houston, including owner Cal McNair, has suggested they'd trade Watson; and the QB hasn't officially requested a trade.

Those two facts won't do anything to slow speculation.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport added another potential candidate to the rumor mill: the Carolina Panthers.

"I would not discount the Carolina Panthers in this situation," Rapoport said Monday on NFL Network's Good Morning Football. "They have the eighth pick, so obviously not as high as, say, the Jets or Dolphins, but that is also a team that needs very badly to solve its quarterback issues. And (has) an owner who is not afraid to make big bold moves."

With Teddy Bridgewater under contract for another year, the Panthers have already begun the search for a long-term solution at QB. 

Matt Rhule has stuck by Bridgewater, but landing Watson would be a game-changer for a club like Carolina. Panthers owner David Tepper isn't one likely to shy away from the high price-tag Watson would cost.

At the moment, we're living in Speculation Township.

Watson is unhappy he wasn't involved in Houston's management decisions. He's not the first player to experience such dismissal. Whether he holds the club's feet to the fire by withholding his services -- and all that comes along with such a holdout -- remains to be seen. And whether the Texans would decide to move on from their franchise QB also remains a huge question.

Until we know one way or another, rumors will continue to swirl. Every team with QB questions should be calling Houston. Game-changing quarterbacks in their prime like Watson never become available.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-19-2021, 07:39 AM -
Glad to know I'm not an idiot (or at least not the only idiot) entertaining the thought. Somehow, I think activity would pick up here quite drastically the second that happened. He would be the cure for the losing/rebuilding/need a QB/COVID season blues.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-19-2021, 12:35 PM -
Yeah, I haven't kept up with what happened between him and the Texans, but he has talent and in the right circumstance could be an MVP Candidate.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-19-2021, 06:39 PM -
Sorry but our Panthers are two year away from being truly competitive much less being a true contender. Draft our guy and groom him behind Watson next year, take his lumps the following year and then maybe all the pieces will finally be in place. Watson however will make a great QB for a contender.

Does anyone know the Baylor QB?

(01-19-2021, 06:39 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Sorry but our Panthers are two years away from being truly competitive much less being a true contender. Draft our guy and groom him behind Watson next year, take his lumps the following year and then maybe all the pieces will finally be in place. Watson however will make a great QB for a contender.

Does anyone know the Baylor QB?
This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 06:39 PM by Firstchance.