Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-23-2022, 03:18 PM -
I hate it for the kid. :(

Matt Corral placed on season-ending injured reserve (panthers.com)

CHARLOTTE — Matt Corral's development this season will have to be from the classroom only.

The rookie quarterback was placed on injured reserve Monday, officially ending his season.

To have left open the possibility of him returning this year, they'd have had to keep him on the 53-man roster through final cuts before putting him on IR. Teams can bring back up to eight players from IR this year once the season starts, after they miss a minimum of four weeks. But the medical realities of Corral's injury suggest that a comeback this season was not likely.

Corral suffered a Lisfranc injury in his left foot during Friday's preseason game at New England and is still exploring his options with the medical staff and outside doctors.

His injury also changes some of the roster math heading into next week's final cuts. The initial plan was to have Corral as the third quarterback on this year's roster. They have generally only kept two on the active roster, and that's again a possibility with the third-rounder out for the year. The Panthers still have starter Baker Mayfield, backup Sam Darnold, and PJ Walker on the roster now.

Also Tuesday, the Panthers placed cornerback Duke Dawson on IR (groin), and waived tight end Jared Scott.

That gets them down to the 80-man roster limit for this week. They have to get to the 53-man regular season limit by Aug. 30.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-23-2022, 06:36 PM -
Yep... Exactly what I expected. Although I didn't think Dawson was that serious.
Probably a 'softer' method of reducing the numbers to the cut line.

Wishing everyone well. Especially important for the injured guys.