DJ Chark is IN the house
Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-24-2023, 12:06 PM -
CHARLOTTE — The Panthers still had a need at receiver, even after agreeing to terms with veteran Adam Thielen.
They found some help for him on Friday.
The team agreed to terms with free agent wide receiver DJ Chark, giving them an outside target with size at a time they need one.
The former Jaguars second-rounder posted big numbers in 2019, with 73 catches for 1,008 yards and eight scores.
The 26-year-old has been limited by injuries (playing 54 games in the last five seasons), but was productive last year with the Lions, catching 30 passes for 502 yards (16.7 per reception) and three touchdowns in 11 games.
He had four catches for 108 yards for the Lions against the Panthers in December, but that was his second-best game against his new team. In 2019 when he was with the Jaguars, he had eight catches for 164 yards and two touchdowns in their 34-27 loss at Bank of America Stadium.

The 6-foot-4, 198-pound Chark grew up in Alexandria, La., and played at LSU just before new teammate Terrace Marshall Jr. arrived there (though he was there with Panthers cornerback Donte Jackson).
It's a significant addition for a team that sent DJ Moore to Chicago in the deal for the No. 1 overall pick, as they lacked proven receiving targets for the quarterback they're about to draft.
The Panthers have backstopped the future pick with running back Miles Sanders and tight end Hayden Hurst in the first week of free agency, along with backup quarterback Andy Dalton. Coupled with retaining free agent center Bradley Bozeman to keep the offensive line together and an offensive coaching staff with a ton of experience, it's a significant boost for one of the guys they're out on the road getting to know now.

Sorry guys. That copy and paste sucked. But the good new, he is signed.
This post was last modified: 03-24-2023, 12:08 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-24-2023, 01:01 PM -
As First mentioned, D.J. Chark is going to be a Panther for this coming year. The Panthers have "Agreed To Terms" with him as reported on Panthers.com. 

Chark will be paired with Adam Thielen and a couple of Panthers WRs from last year to make up the bulk of the Panthers WR room. D.J. Chark was well regarded coming out of LSU in 2018. He was drafted by Jacksonville in the 2nd round. The Panthers will be his third team. He played last year for the Lions. Chark (apparently) has agreed to a one-year deal with the Panthers.  The biggest concern about Chark is his tendency toward injury. He has played a total of 54 games in five years. Chark has 2544 total career receiving yards.
So... about 509 yards per year.

In 2021 and 2022 Chark has been "out" and on IR. Both years for ankle injuries to the same ankle. Broken ankle in 2021, another injury last year to same ankle. Crutches  Bag

The Panthers will sign Chark to a one-year deal (Apparently..).

PANTHERS.COM:  Panthers & DJ Chark "Agree To Terms"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-24-2023, 02:06 PM -
Wow, boys! Jeezes H. Peete! Seriously! This is GREAT, and I"m not just talking about Chark, I'm talking about ALL of the additions the new staff have made. It is clear they are building a WINNING TEAM FROM THE GROUND UP and doing it QUICKLY.

Personally, this reinforces my belief that they aren't doing to booger up this year's #1 Draft Pick. We'll get "The Guy". And I'm hoping it's CJ Stroud, but won't be heartbroken if they select Bryce Young.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-24-2023, 06:03 PM -
I'm truly pleased to get DJ Chark (AND Adam Thielen as well...). We needed the WR help, no doubt. The way Fitterer and Reich have approached this coming season is one for the ages. Almost every need has been supported in some way....and with GOOD players too. No 'dumpster diving' here this year.   Thumbsup

My ONE concern with Chark is his propensity for injury. As much as I like him (and I DO..), I worry about his physicality and his ability to play through a season without a season-ending injury.  It's only a one year contract (supposedly..), so no great investment, but if he can manage a decent year without injury, the Panthers will probably try to retain him.

Let's hope for the best...

Praying