Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-03-2022, 02:18 AM -
(01-02-2022, 07:42 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: Not to mention we have a terrible offensive line.  No QB no matter the talent will do well in our offense.  The line is atrocious.

You're right, BCF... We have been unable to provide QB protection for almost every game this year. But it's not all about the players. Some of the issue is a resultant. That is to say, the results have been dependent on other dynamics in the game. We have some good (decent..) linemen. They don't ALWAYS show up. Sometimes it's injuries, sometimes it's Covid, sometimes it's lack of experience, and SOMETIMES it's lack of talent.

(01-03-2022, 01:06 AM)Josh21 Wrote: Yes bad o-line is the problem, but is it coaches, or players?  Inclined to say a mix of both.  At least try to upgrade it this offseason!  Bottom teir/deal fa’s n 3rd to 6th round picks to FIX it?  Needs an influx.  Majorly.  Major fa(s), n best lineman n the draft would dent it.  If not a qb, what else do we need round 1?  If not we got a 4th rounder to try…

Here's the way I look at it.  We need to solidify the O-line AND the protection SCHEMES  (BOTH run and pass..). To do that we need the coaches to study and modify the schemes as necessary every week dependent upon available personnel. We need enough talent to play at a high level at all times everywhere on the O-line. And we need a TEAM desire to succeed. ALL of those things are needed, but we will never have all of them at any one time. So, we need to have enough overlap in areas to make up for deficiencies that WILL occur in others.

WE have SOME talent. Unfortunately, we have had a LOT of injuries and now, a LOT of Covid impacts on the whole team. We need a solid core of O-linemen who have experience and who are dedicated to the TEAM...willing to do whatever is necessary. We also need a good supply of young talent to fill in and play alongside the veterans.  BUT, make no mistake about it, a team full of rookies, fresh from the draft, will NOT show up well against NFL competition.!!  We are NOT going to draft 3 or 4 linemen and have them ready to start against experienced NFL defenses. That's how you 'break' or 'destroy' good prospective talent... i.e., force them into untenable positions against tougher, more experienced, more mature opposing lines. The only way to get there (in the short term..) is to draft the best talent that is available and coach them alongside true veterans with great work ethics. The problem is finding several veteran O-linemen with the right 'maturity', 'fit', and 'desire' to play for the Panthers. It's a delicate balancing act.

The draft.???  I don't know. I THINK we may see some trade movement along those lines BEFORE draft day. And some more during the draft. BUT, I've said it before, and I'll say it again....  I would much rather have 3 or 4 solid players early in the draft than a whole bunch of numbers in rounds 5,6, or 7.  So... DRAFT STRONG, EARLY!!! If we happen to find a surprise late in the draft, then GREAT.!  Just don't count on it.

Next year's success will depend on the talent we have available right now, and what we can acquire by trade or through free agency. Add in a couple of EARLY draft picks, and we should have a 'serviceable' O-line. Then, "cross your fingers, and pray a lot".
This post was last modified: 01-03-2022, 03:02 AM by Hobbit99.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we just….. The Carolina Panthers Select: - by Hobbit99 - 01-03-2022, 02:18 AM