Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,048 posts 569 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-17-2022, 04:42 PM -
(02-17-2022, 08:49 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I understand, and agree O-Line is a pressing need.  But those can be addressed in Free Agency as well as the 2-7th rounds of the Draft, and even in undrafted players, but it's rare to have a quarterback of his caliber land in your lap and then pass on him.

WELL... I'm not certain, but there is at least one thing wrong with this scenario right now. Oops.... Two things.

FIRST, this year, 2022 draft year, is one of the WORST years in recent history for Quarterbacks. As almost all big boards indicate, there is NO QB out there with a high 1st round grade. Yes, there will be QBs drafted in the 1st round. BUT... None of them, NONE, have shown a lot of potential like draft classes over the past five years or so. About the highest GRADE on a QB this year is low-mid 1st, around #18 or so.  NOTE:  This is not a draft PROJECTION.!! This is a GRADE.! Sooo...while a QB or maybe two may be drafted higher than that by a team who wants him, the consensus says NO QB is WORTH being drafted that high. That means that all of these QBs are a real REACH if drafted high in the 1st round.  IF these QBs were in the draft last year or before, they would ALL be mid-2nd or 3rd round picks. They are just NOT the quality of typical high 1st round picks. So, do we want to "reach" and waste a #6 on a potential #20 player.??  I can't see it......

The SECOND thing about this scenario that is concerning... As of right now, we DON'T HAVE a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So it's IMPOSSIBLE to "pick up" anyone starting in round two. Just can't be done.!! The ONLY way this happens is IF we trade BACK or trade a roster guy for a 2nd or 3rd. SO... we MIGHT trade back. We've all seen that happen. Scott Fitterer is NOT afraid to do this. So, NOW consider the possibility at say #12-15. Who is available.?? Or, maybe for an additional pick maybe trade back to #18-23. NOW, who is available.?? At this point we MIGHT have a 2nd and/or 3rd round available...MAYBE.??  IF we trade back to somewhere around #20, picking up a QB there at THAT draft position, might be feasible.....IF one is still available..??  What do we sacrifice to do this.??

OTOH, if you look at some of the "mocks" you DO see Pickett and Willis PROJECTED off the board higher in the 1st. It could happen, and some say it will happen. MAYBE-so. That doesn't mean they are worth it, or that it's a smart thing to do.

QUICKLY, look back a few years.... Consider the QBs since 2018 who were drafted in the top 10. Josh Rosen; Josh Allen; Baker Mayfield; Daniel Jones; Kyler Murray; Justin Herbert; Tua Tagovailoa; Joe Burrow; Trey Lance; Zach Wilson; and Trevor Lawrence.
Now compare this years class of QBs to those Top-10 Draftees.

Hmmm.... See what I mean.?? THIS years Qbs are really---- well, I don't know...  There is NO QB is this year's draft that is worth a #6 pick. If we do that, we'll regret it forever (probably..). Although I could be wrong. Once in a blue moon Tom Brady comes along...
**shrugs** Confused Depressed WTH..What do I know..???

Messages In This Thread
My First Round Choice -....... - by PantherFan007 - 02-16-2022, 08:05 PM
RE: My First Round Choice -....... - by Josh21 - 02-16-2022, 11:47 PM
RE: My First Round Choice -....... - by Hobbit99 - 02-17-2022, 04:42 PM
RE: My First Round Choice -....... - by Hobbit99 - 02-17-2022, 09:16 PM
RE: My First Round Choice -....... - by Josh21 - 02-18-2022, 01:31 AM