Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-24-2024, 11:52 AM -
Good points LP... and well-stated.

To expand on what you said about "Over-paying Burns...", let me add this. If we were to "Over-pay" him, we would be doing a major dis-service to the Panthers team, to the quality players ranked above him, and to the overall salary positions of the entire league.  There is no doubt that salaries are going up. But to arbitrarily pay someone WAY above their demonstrated ability and above their same-position competitors with higher skill levels and stat lines --- makes NO sense.

Here is a breakdown of "Edge" guys under contract by AAV (Average Annual Value) according to SPOTRAC.  This would include both some "Ends" and "OLBs” depending on how the team lists them and whether they play in a 3-4 or a 4-3 base defense.

NICK BOSA  ----------  $34M
TJ WATT  -------------  $28M
JOEY BOSA  ----------  $27M
MILES GARRETT  ----  $25M
MONTEZ SWEAT  ----  $24.5M
RASHAAN GARY  -----  $24M
MAX CROSBY  --------  $23.5M
KHALIL MACK  -------  $23.5
BRADLEY CHUBB ----  $22M

and below these guys we have players like...

VON MILLER  ---------  $20M
HAROLD LANDRY ----  $17.5M
ARIK ARMSTEAD  ----  $17M

Now, without spending too much time and looking up their individual stat lines --- Where would you place Brian Burns.??  I don't care WHAT he's asking for.... There is NO WAY that Burns gets paid in the Top 5.  Objectively speaking, I would place him around the mid-bottom of the Top 10.  But even that would place him ahead of Khalil Mack and Bradley Chubb (AND Von Miller and Arik Armstead..).

IMHO -- Burns should be paid around $22-23M after last years fiasco. Give him a 5-year deal with provisional performance bonuses that would take it up considerably IF he performs. Example: Double digit sacks pays extra. 15 sacks pays MORE EXTRA. #s of TFLs means more money. #s of QB pressures and hits means more money. #s of Pass deflections = more. Passes defensed = more. Snaps played = more.

There are lots of ways to make it fair. But the underlying criteria must be performance. NOT "expected" or "projected" numbers. The criteria must be identifiable and measurable.

NOW -- Burns will never agree to this. He's too greedy and too much of an egoist. He doesn't want to perform. He just wants guaranteed greenbacks. Money - MONEY - MONEY.

SO .... Just like LP said and I've said many times --- "Tag him and trade him".
This post was last modified: 02-24-2024, 06:12 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"

Messages In This Thread
RE: CAP $ - WHAT EFFECT? - BURNS & FREE AGENCY - by Hobbit99 - 02-24-2024, 11:52 AM