SALARY CAP HELL -- WHO IS SUFFERING THE FIRE..??
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2024, 08:28 PM -
(03-05-2024, 04:26 PM)Firstchance Wrote: No a problem (with me) from how much cap space we have/had… best I can tell is that the number is/was around 35 million…BUT since we tagged Burns, did 24 million not go away?? That was my concern, you take that number and your draft selection number, you just don’t have the room to be creative. I hope that makes since. ((And I am just assuming those funds have to remain available in case burns signs))

You make a valid point, First.  There is always different ways to look at things. The "problem" with the TAG is ... it's not really in play unless and until Burns signs it. Up until Burns signs it, the Panthers can rescind the TAG and Burns becomes a UFA.  Burns can negotiate with other teams after the tampering period begins  (on the 11th) and can "sign" a contract on the 13th. Burns could sign the tag anytime, but if he did he would give away some of his bargaining power.  The Cap comes into play with the new league year. So, on the 13th at 4:00 PM the Panthers must be under the Cap.  So, IF Burns was to sign the TAG, then yes, the TAG would count against the Cap at 4:00 PM on the 13th. Until then, no harm-no foul.

I guess ... If the Panthers needed the Cap space they COULD just rescind the Tag at any point before Burns signed it.  Otherwise, they would have to allow for it as you suggested.  However, there are several contracts that could be renegotiated to make space, as well as several players who could "get the axe" and that would make space as well. I really don't see this affecting what the Panthers "do" ... at least initially. Although, as we've seen multiple times, anything can happen...
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"

Messages In This Thread
RE: SALARY CAP HELL -- WHO IS SUFFERING THE FIRE..?? - by Hobbit99 - 03-05-2024, 08:28 PM