Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

66 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,760 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-24-2020, 01:01 AM -
WOW.!!  Fbwow

This thread should be in the "ShoutBox"..!!!

Biggrin
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-24-2020, 06:10 AM -
(04-23-2020, 08:20 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Sleep well fellas!

BlackCatzFan Wrote:Jaylen Hurts 2nd round
Not a bad idea, but we need cb's, lb, s/nb, edge, ol, more dl...  If a qb we love falls, ok.  But we need d help.
Josh nailed it... ( plus I would throw in TE and C )... those are immediate needs just fill a roster in 2020. Hopefully you can find two starters today ( likely not ).... after today it is no more than a hope and prayer.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-24-2020, 08:52 AM -
In closing this round. In my opinion Derrick Brown and Chase Young were 1&2 or 2&1 in this years draft. This is the best move that the Panthers have made as an organization overall in several years. This pick could allow the rebuild process to be 4 or 5 years instead of the current 7 or 8 years... the finality of that will. Be determined today and tomorrow.... but this is an excellent start.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-24-2020, 01:50 PM -
(04-23-2020, 08:20 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Not a bad idea, but we need cb's, lb, s/nb, edge, ol, more dl...  If a qb we love falls, ok.  But we need d help.
 YES, we need 'D' help..!!

BUT... don't make it sound like death bells tolling.!!  We currently have nine (9) DBs on the roster....!!!
Only two (2) Safeties worth talking about though...Justin Burris and Tre Boston. Both of those guys are good.!! So we could definitely use a Safety.

At Corner we have Donte Jackson, who I think will really "break-out" this year. Also Corn Elder and Cole Luke. Elder has played well, but Luke is still unproven. The rest of the guys are "unknown" although T.J. Green has some size..!! So we could use a QUALITY Corner...and there-in lies the problem. We already have four guys that are "unknown quantities". Draftees (especially "late round"..) are just another way to say "unknown". If they're not a top 100 talent (Rounds 1-3..), what have you got...really.??

After losing AJ Klein and David Mayo...we could use another LB for sure. Luckily we have 3 guys that are sort of "positionless"... Brian Burns, Marquis Haynes, and Christian Miller. All three are OLBs or "Edge" guys depending on how we set our defense. We have Jermaine Carter, and Shaq Thompson as 'true' LBs. So we COULD get by--maybe..??  Still, I'd love to draft a LB like Zack Baun (Wisconsin..).  

And..... If AJ Epenesa falls to us, I would take him immediately

Actually, I'm pretty "OK" with our Offense (especially Center..!!...Geez, you guys...SMH..). We have Matt Paradis and Tyler Larson, both of whom have been adequate to good over the preceding couple of years. Definitely don't need to blow a pick on a center at this time. OTOH...If someone like Matt Hennessy (G/C) were available, and was deemed "best available", I wouldn't be unhappy with that pick.

SO, we need to bolster the Defense, but we don't need to panic. We can field a decent team. IF, I repeat, IF our QB situation calms down and proceeds sort of smoothly, our Offense should be okay. We will need to address issues that come up of course, but every team does.... and is a problem that is best left for a future time and place.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-24-2020, 04:32 PM -
If you put all of your eggs in one basket, the other basket suffers. We do need to bolster our defense, but remember, we have Kawaan Short coming back healthy, and we have Brian Burns who led the team in sacks last year. We have Shaq who outplayed Luke Kuechly last season. We now have Derrick Brown. We still have Christian Miller who is a pretty solid linebacker. We have Chris Smith as a new DE who has spent time with the Browns, Bengals, and Jaguars. We signed Stephen Weatherly who was a 7th round pick by the Vikings four years ago.

All of these guys (except Brown) are more proven than anyone we could draft. Does that mean to say I think we have BETTER than we could draft? No, but I honestly don't think we need to spend EIGHT PICKS on DEFENSE. That's crazy talk.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-24-2020, 04:36 PM -
PLUS there will be some quality guys who go undrafted. ;)
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-24-2020, 06:35 PM -
(04-24-2020, 04:32 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: If you put all of your eggs in one basket, the other basket suffers.  We do need to bolster our defense, but remember, we have Kawaan Short coming back healthy, and we have Brian Burns who led the team in sacks last year.  We have Shaq who outplayed Luke Kuechly last season.  We now have Derrick Brown.  We still have Christian Miller who is a pretty solid linebacker.  We have Chris Smith as a new DE who has spent time with the Browns, Bengals, and Jaguars.  We signed Stephen Weatherly who was a 7th round pick by the Vikings four years ago. 

All of these guys (except Brown) are more proven than anyone we could draft.  Does that mean to say I think we have BETTER than we could draft?  No, but I honestly don't think we need to spend EIGHT PICKS on DEFENSE.  That's crazy talk.

Good points, ..... However.....

Remember, most of the FA support we have received was to bolster our Offense.... Our Offense has few needs (in comparison..)
AND...our Defense was far worse.....  SO... eight picks = NO. But at least five (and they need to be GOOD...!!)