Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

11 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-29-2024, 05:41 PM -
Funny.  Three that Tepper let out of his grasp (or, as WE say down South, "Ran Off") last season are going to (probably) be wearing Super Bowl Rings in a couple of weeks.  

Three Former Carolina Panthers Headed to Super Bowl with Niners - Sports Illustrated Carolina Panthers News, Analysis and More

A year ago, the Carolina Panthers traded Christian McCaffrey to the San Francisco 49ers for what turned out to be a bag of chips. Shortly following the end of the 2022 season, the Panthers then passed on removing the interim tag from Steve Wilks and instead, hired Frank Reich who lasted just eleven games as the team's head coach.

In their first full year away from Carolina, McCaffrey and Wilks are headed to the Super Bowl with the San Francisco 49ers. Former Carolina QB Sam Darnold will be joining them as the backup to Brock Purdy.

After the game, NBC Sports' Bay Area affiliate caught up with Wilks and McCaffrey on the field to get their instant reaction on winning the NFC Championship.

"It means a lot. Third time hopefully is the charm," Wilks said. "I've been to two and a matter of fact, the last one on this field right here, Super Bowl 50 and we didn't win. But to come and do it here with these men, this is the best organization that I've ever been a part of. They do it the right way. I'm just blessed to be a part of it and looking forward to finishing this deal."

"Just a resilient group. Guys that didn't flinch," McCaffrey responded when asked what changed at the half. "We knew what was on the line obviously and (I'm) just so proud to be a part of this team."

McCaffrey ran for a career-high 1,459 yards this season to go along with 14 touchdowns - the second-most in his career. Wilks' defense finished 8th in the league, allowing 312.6 yards per game while finishing third in scoring defense (18.4 ppg).

Rolleyes
This post was last modified: 01-29-2024, 05:42 PM by PantherFan007.
Ladypanther

482 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-29-2024, 06:45 PM -
Hope Tepper reads those quotes.

And I am happy for all of them.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-29-2024, 10:12 PM -
YES... And I hope they can finish it. The Chiefs are back again with Mahomes. This will be four out of the last five years for KC. Team-wise this will be a rematch of SB LIV where the beat the 49ers, 31-20. In SB LV they were back but lost to the Bucs, 31-9. Then in SB LVII, last year, they beat the Eagles 38-35.  And NOW -- this year SB LVIII, back to the 49ers....

Looking back at the Conference game, the Chiefs did not look like a dynasty. They CAN be beaten,  GO NINERS..!!

Clap3 Headbang
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

01-29-2024, 10:59 PM -
It is going to be a great coaching matchup on both sides of the ball.  Shanahan vs Spagnola and Andy vs Wilks.

The first half of the Niners game vs Detroit I thought Wilks would be fired. He managed to make adjustments and shut Detroit down the 2nd half.

Spags is earning a rep as a defensive whiz.  His plan to exploit Lamar's weakness worked to perfection.  No one was giving the Chiefs much of a chance before the game.

I give Andy an edge over Wilks and the other two maybe a draw.  Going to come down to special teams and turnovers.  Thanks to one of the [many] Panther previous screwups, the Chiefs have one of the best place kickers in the game. Niners kicker is a weak spot and prolly keeps Shanahan up at night.  Saying all that....1 mental mistake, 1 missed tackle, could also determine the outcome.

I think this will be a good one. 
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-29-2024, 11:33 PM -
(01-29-2024, 10:59 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: It is going to be a great coaching matchup on both sides of the ball.  Shanahan vs Spagnola and Andy vs Wilks.

The first half of the Niners game vs Detroit I thought Wilks would be fired. He managed to make adjustments and shut Detroit down the 2nd half.

Spags is earning a rep as a defensive whiz.  His plan to exploit Lamar's weakness worked to perfection.  No one was giving the Chiefs much of a chance before the game.

I give Andy an edge over Wilks and the other two maybe a draw.  Going to come down to special teams and turnovers.  Thanks to one of the [many] Panther previous screwups, the Chiefs have one of the best place kickers in the game. Niners kicker is a weak spot and prolly keeps Shanahan up at night.  Saying all that....1 mental mistake, 1 missed tackle, could also determine the outcome.

AGREED...

This is going to be a GOOD game.  Should be close. I don't put quite as much emphasis on coaching in these big games. I have always contended that players win games on the field. Players, Offenses, Defenses, STs all playing together as a team win games. I also contend that coaches LOSE a lot more games than they win. There are a lot more ways for a coach to LOSE games than there are to win.. IMO.

In any event, the 49ers came out flat... no doubt about it. And the Lions looked like they were in control. As the game progressed, the 'Niners got more in tune and really upped their game. The second half was a complete reversal from the first half.

The Chiefs-Ravens game surprised me. I'll just say it right here.... Right now,  Lamar Jackson is the best dual-threat QB in the league. He reminds me of Cam Newton early in his career. Except, dare I say it, Jackson is better. Having said that, the Chiefs had no answer for Jackson when he decided to move "off the spot" with the ball. Still, the Chiefs did enough to hold the rest of the Ravens Offense in check. Truthfully, I was not terribly impressed with the Chiefs. They won the game, but they did not convince me.....

I think you're exactly right. This game may easily turn on ST, field position, turnovers, and time of possession.  But the 49ers better not come out "flat" like they did against the Lions...
Ladypanther

01-30-2024, 12:15 AM -
(01-29-2024, 11:33 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 10:59 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: It is going to be a great coaching matchup on both sides of the ball.  Shanahan vs Spagnola and Andy vs Wilks.

AGREED...

This is going to be a GOOD game.  Should be close. I don't put quite as much emphasis on coaching in these big games. I have always contended that players win games on the field. Players, Offenses, Defenses, STs all playing together as a team win games. I also contend that coaches LOSE a lot more games than they win. There are a lot more ways for a coach to LOSE games than there are to win.. IMO.

In any event, the 49ers came out flat... no doubt about it. And the Lions looked like they were in control. As the game progressed, the 'Niners got more in tune and really upped their game. The second half was a complete reversal from the first half.

The Chiefs-Ravens game surprised me. I'll just say it right here.... Right now,  Lamar Jackson is the best dual-threat QB in the league. He reminds me of Cam Newton early in his career. Except, dare I say it, Jackson is better. Having said that, the Chiefs had no answer for Jackson when he decided to move "off the spot" with the ball. Still, the Chiefs did enough to hold the rest of the Ravens Offense in check. Truthfully, I was not terribly impressed with the Chiefs. They won the game, but they did not convince me.....

I think you're exactly right. This game may easily turn on ST, field position, turnovers, and time of possession.  But the 49ers better not come out "flat" like they did against the Lions...

Both of these teams are talented...they have the players.  I do believe that in close games coaching and schemes matters.  For example..listening to Sirius radio about the Chiefs/Ravens game....the Chiefs defense forced Lamar into a pocket passer-requiring throwing anticipated passes.  Not his thing. They took away the quick throws and runs.  Made the difference.  Of course, they had to have the players to execute the plan. But the way they were coached and the scheme they executed made the difference.

Barring player screwups (funbles, dropped passes, stupid penalties) I think  coaching will be the dif.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-30-2024, 01:27 AM -
(01-30-2024, 12:15 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: Both of these teams are talented...they have the players.  I do believe that in close games coaching and schemes matters.  For example..listening to Sirius radio about the Chiefs/Ravens game....the Chiefs defense forced Lamar into a pocket passer-requiring throwing anticipated passes.  Not his thing. They took away the quick throws and runs.  Made the difference.  Of course, they had to have the players to execute the plan. But the way they were coached and the scheme they executed made the difference.

Barring player screwups (funbles, dropped passes, stupid penalties) I think  coaching will be th

Ahh, now I understand what you’re saying.  I was talking about strictly game time coaching. Decisions made in the moment, not so much planning and schemes. As the game progresses, 4th down decisions, situational football, time outs, clock management ….. in the moment stuff. Sort of like the Lions 4th down calls in this game. Probably bad coaching decisions..??? It sort of points toward coaching “losing”  a game rather than winning.

You’re definitely right about the planning and schemes stuff. Makes a big difference. And yes, Jackson is a LOT better when he is “freewheeling”. The Chiefs definitely took advantage by forcing him into uncomfortable situations.
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-30-2024, 06:23 AM -
I heard on the local news last night before going to bed that CMC had made the comment somewhere yesterday, something to the effect of, "It's great to be where you're wanted after having been where you're not wanted". Can't say I blame him for his sentiments.
PantherFan007
Administrator

01-30-2024, 06:25 AM -
Oh yeah, and do you all know what Christian did? He broke JERRY RICE'S FRANCHISE RECORD for touchdowns in a season this year:

https://www.49ers.com/video/christian-mc...ampionship
This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 06:27 AM by PantherFan007.
Ladypanther

01-30-2024, 08:51 AM -
(01-30-2024, 06:23 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I heard on the local news last night before going to bed that CMC had made the comment somewhere yesterday, something to the effect of, "It's great to be where you're wanted after having been where you're not wanted".  Can't say I blame him for his sentiments.

Can't believe he said he was not wanted here.  He was our everything. Trading him was not a "we don't want you/like you" decision, it was a business decision which I did not and do not like. (When's the last time the Panthers made a good business decision or a good decision period?) In fairness i would like to hear his thoughts about why he could not stay healthy here and now seems very durable in SF.  To me that is curious. From afar one might think he did not want to be here.

He needs to be happy to be where he is and not throw shade at the Panthers.  We,the fans, loved him!
This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 08:52 AM by Ladypanther.