Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

67 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-17-2024, 06:40 PM -
Panthers are apparently still "looking" in Free Agency. Latest news indicates the Panthers are hosting a couple of WRs for a "visit" sometime next week. The two WRs are Mike Williams, formerly with the Chargers, and Michael Gallup, formerly with the Cowboys. No firm dates mentioned yet, just "next week".
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
OceanPanther

107 posts 12 threads Joined: Mar 2020
03-18-2024, 12:30 PM -
Where do y'all see us turning next ? or are we through with free agency ?? Each time I think we are, they being in someone..

What direction do you see us going in the second round of the draft ?
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-18-2024, 03:35 PM -
So far they have (in my humble opinion) done pretty good with free agency. It bodes well with us, especially on these one to two year deals. It gets us the help (upgrade) we need right away while giving us a year or two to evaluate these guys.

I see the Draft as being significant in skill position rather than need positions.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-18-2024, 06:39 PM -
(03-18-2024, 12:30 PM)OceanPanther Wrote: Where  do y'all see us turning next ?  or are we through with free agency ??          Each time I think we are,  they being in someone..

What  direction do you see us going in the second round of the draft  ?

It's really hard to tell about the remaining free agents.  There are still some excellent players available, but issues abound among some of them.  I really believe we will see a couple more signings before we start concentrating on the draft.

I'm thinking another WR possibly, and another Edge guy maybe....  WHO..??  Hmm. that's the question.  I think either Chase Young or Jadeveon Clowney would make sense. With either of those guys, a late signing is very possible. In particular, I believe Clowney has a history of taking his time and making a decision late in the process, maybe right before the draft.  I don't know if Dan will want to wait that long, but Clowney may do it anyway.  Of course, there are other Edge guys available....so waiting could hurt Clowney's chances, although that doesn't seem to matter much to him....

The WRs visiting this week are both interesting. Both have talent and speed. Either could end up being a #1 WR here. Both would be better as an "X" than Diontae Johnson who I see as more of a "slot" type WR and thus as competition for Adam Thielen. My initial thoughts lean toward Gallup as a better choice mainly because he is a year "newer" in the league (2018 vs. 2017) compared to Williams, and because he has had an extra season to rehab from his ACL surgery. Williams, while thought to be a better quality WR, is also still in the middle of a rehab from his ACL last year, and his availability for training camp is still very much in question. So, with Thielen and Johnson both being "slot type" receivers, we really could use an "X" outside, vertical speed guy. I just happen to think that Gallup would be a "safer" choice. 

The Draft is a quandary right now, mainly because of the Edge & WR stuff. I really see us taking at least one of each early in the draft. Does that mean at #33 and #39..??  Hmm.... I don't know. Until we know more about these Edge and WR guys that are visiting, the early picks in the draft are up for grabs. If a major talent slips to #33, say a LB or a CB or *maybe* even a TE, I could see Dan jumping all over it. Otherwise, it'll probably be an Edge guy or a WR. 

I still think we take an Edge, a WR, a CB and a LB. I think our RBs are locked in for this year. Our O-line could add a rookie, and our TEs could also add someone, especially if Dan doesn't solidly  "believe" in Tremble (which I DO..). Also, as I mentioned, a true value pick could show up at any point in the draft at any position. I believe Dan wouldn't hesitate to jump the board and take a player perceived as "Best Available". One who has a special talent and is just "too good" to let pass.
This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 06:43 PM by Hobbit99.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-18-2024, 07:26 PM -
Chase Young is off the board, going to our Saints. Also we signed some career backup tackle. But we also have Icky so maybe not a backup?
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-18-2024, 07:57 PM -
(03-18-2024, 07:26 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Chase Young is off the board, going to our Saints. Also we signed some career backup tackle. But we also have Icky so maybe not a backup?

As First mentioned....  A backup tackle.

Panthers have "Agreed to terms" with Yosh Nijman a former UDFA from the GB Packers. He's been with the "Pack" for four years on his rookie contract.

Panthers Agree To Terms With Yosh Nijman
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-19-2024, 06:41 PM -
As mentioned in the other thread, the Panthers have today agreed to terms with WR David Moore. Moore is from TB where he teamed up with Baker Mayfield under the umbrella of Dave Canales.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-19-2024, 08:04 PM -
Joe Person
@josephperson
·

Panthers have agreed to terms with former Broncos LB Justin Strnad on a 1-year deal, per league source.
Strnad, who was with Ejiro Evero for a season in Denver, provides depth (behind Josey Jewell, another ex-Bronco) and play special teams.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-19-2024, 08:13 PM -
Someone was asking (somewhere..??) if the Panthers were "done" in Free Agency.  I guess the two "signings" today answered that question. So, we added a WR and a LB today. Have to admit, this one (LB..) surprised me a little.  I'm totally NOT familiar with him. Maybe that's a good omen.!!
Big Grin
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-20-2024, 05:46 AM -
(03-19-2024, 08:04 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Joe Person
@josephperson
·

Panthers have agreed to terms with former Broncos LB Justin Strnad on a 1-year deal, per league source.
Strnad, who was with Ejiro Evero for a season in Denver, provides depth (behind Josey Jewell, another ex-Bronco) and play special teams.

How do you even pronounce that name? LOL  "Strrrrrr-nad"?