Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-29-2023, 07:04 PM -
I knew this game was going to be the focus of so many "talking heads" around the NFL, and it made me sick to my stomach to think that "Bryce Young" was going to "lose to CJ Stroud", as the pundits seem to view it.  

Most of y'all know I was hoping we would draft CJ Stroud, but when we drafted Bryce Young I gave him my unbridled support.  I have to admit, I have not liked much of what I have seen of him this season.  For a Rookie, he has done average, especially behind a not-so-great offensive line.

Today, from the opening kickoff, it felt like the same-ole same-ole, and Bryce still looked at bit lost at times. 

That having been said, I saw something from him today, even when we were still behind in the third and early fourth quarter, that I hadn't really seen so far.  Or, perhaps it's just me.  But, I saw what I thought was a look of determination on his face that told me he did not want to lose this game and he was going to fight for it.  And he did.

One game, folks.  One game.  But, I'll take it.  After six straight losses, I will take one win.

But Bryce got sacked what, six times or more today?  And he never slacked off.  Sometimes his awareness in the pocket is still very sketchy, but I loved that he stood in the pocket and looked for players NOT named Thielen. 

Some of Bryce's incompletions were on him, but a couple were on his receivers.

He is still a rookie and still plays like one.  He loses awareness while standing in the pocket and even when he moves to escape, it's usually too late.  I hope he is learning from it and talking lessons from past experiences.  He needs to "click", and I think that now - right at midseason - perhaps it will.

But Bryce has options other than his running backs.  He has Tight Ends in Sullivan and Hayden Hurst, Tommy Tremble (who I was glad to see today), and Wide Receivers in Terrace Marshall, Jr (who, by the way, might consider staying if he gets more chances at the ball).

I was glad to see Bryce starting to mix it up a bit, and I have no idea if it was the play calling or if it was Bryce making those decisions, but they worked.  

Defense played lights out. 

Eddie P.  Dude about gave me a heart attack lol.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,193 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-29-2023, 09:32 PM -
Great game!
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
10-30-2023, 09:34 AM -
Good post 007. Bryce just has not gotten much help...which surprised me this season. Line play has been terrible. I do not understand why, when I watch other games, I see QB's throwing to wide open receivers and the Panther receivers are rarely open.

Maybe Brown needs to gameplan to get Bryce on the move more. He throws well on the run and it is for sure his pocket will be collapsing on almost every play.

What happened to the check down?

What has happened to Hurst? He has been a big disappointment. He has caught 14 of 24 targets and has 1 TD. Tremble has caught 6 of 7 targets and has 2 TDs.

Chark and Mingo have caught less than half of their targets, 15/31 and 19/34.

Chubba has turned out to be the better runner and pass catcher. he has caught 15 of 17 targets while Sanders has 15/24.

The Panthers only had 44 yds rushing Sunday. Ugh! Got to get more creative than running it up the middle for no gain (or worse). Not good for a rookie QB (or any QB) not to have a run game.

Bryce is a rookie making rookie mistakes. I know I sound like I am putting the blame on everyone else but he needs some help. He has shown some very good things, has made some amazing throws (and made some he should not have). He shows no signs of being rattled and takes full responsibility.

The defense played very well. Luvu was a beast! I would like to see a few less missed tackles. Burns whiff skills have not changed.

I too wanted Stroud but drank the kool aid when there was so much talk of Bryce being a football genius. He did a great job on that last drive.

Hopefully the win will inject some positive energy into the team...especially the offense. I am looking for a winning record post bye.