Hayden Hurst
Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
10-31-2023, 06:54 AM -
He sure has been a disappointment so far.  I was really hoping he would be great for Young and make a difference in the offense.  Just read this and thought it was interesting:

Hurst played only 33 percent of the offensive snaps, with a season-low two targets in the Panthers’ first win Sunday — a 15-13 decision against the Houston Texans. Hurst told The Athletic last week he’s frustrated and indicated he’s been told his run blocking needs to improve.

https://theathletic.com/5014651/2023/10/...-deadline/

Wonder who was responsible for the scouting on him.  Did they miss the blocking thing or is this something that did not show up in his play on  previous teams?
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,193 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-31-2023, 10:35 PM -
I’ll go. The Ravens traded Hurst b/c he wasn’t that complete te. I believe he was a 1st round pick. He does what Theilen does. Middle of field slot guy. Tommy’s the blocker. If Sullivan can pass him? Hurst better start blocking. Big component to te. Imho Theilan does a decent job. ?

So he’s more a slot than an in line, or move te.
This post was last modified: 10-31-2023, 10:37 PM by Josh21.
OceanPanther

107 posts 12 threads Joined: Mar 2020
11-01-2023, 10:19 AM -
(10-31-2023, 06:54 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: He sure has been a disappointment so far.  I was really hoping he would be great for Young and make a difference in the offense.  Just read this and thought it was interesting:

Hurst played only 33 percent of the offensive snaps, with a season-low two targets in the Panthers’ first win Sunday — a 15-13 decision against the Houston Texans. Hurst told The Athletic last week he’s frustrated and indicated he’s been told his run blocking needs to improve.

Wonder who was responsible for the scouting on him.  Did they miss the blocking thing or is this something that did not show up in his play on  previous teams?

who scouted him ?  ( Hurst )  obviously the same scout that scouted Sanders lol ..  He was suppose to have good hands .. but as of late.. not so much.
Ladypanther

11-01-2023, 10:34 AM -
(11-01-2023, 10:19 AM)OceanPanther Wrote:
(10-31-2023, 06:54 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: He sure has been a disappointment so far.  I was really hoping he would be great for Young and make a difference in the offense.  Just read this and thought it was interesting:

who scouted him ?  ( Hurst )  obviously the same scout that scouted Sanders lol ..  He was suppose to have good hands .. but as of late.. not so much.

Fblaugh
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,157 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-02-2023, 01:54 PM -
To be perfectly honest, Hurst hasn't been thrown to much by Bryce Young.  When he has, he has made some terrific plays. 

There have been times in the past few games where he was wide open downfield but Bryce wasn't even looking that far in front of himself. 

The one time Hurst was thrown to last game, the ball was way over his head and behind him, so there was no way he could catch it.

This season Hurst has 14 receptions for 116 yards, averaging 8.3 YPC, with a long of 16 yards.  He has scored one TD and six First Downs.

In comparison, Tommy Tremble has 6 receptions for 45 yards, averaging 7.5 YPC, with a long of 21 yards, scoring 2 TDs and 4 First Downs.

Sullivan has 1 reception for 13 yards, averaging 13 yards (total), scoring 0 TDs and 1 First Down.

I'm just saying, it's hard to make plays when you're not part of a play.
This post was last modified: 11-02-2023, 02:06 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-02-2023, 03:19 PM -
(11-02-2023, 01:54 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: To be perfectly honest, Hurst hasn't been thrown to much by Bryce Young.  When he has, he has made some terrific plays. 

There have been times in the past few games where he was wide open downfield but Bryce wasn't even looking that far in front of himself. 

The one time Hurst was thrown to last game, the ball was way over his head and behind him, so there was no way he could catch it.

This season Hurst has 14 receptions for 116 yards, averaging 8.3 YPC, with a long of 16 yards.  He has scored one TD and six First Downs.

In comparison, Tommy Tremble has 6 receptions for 45 yards, averaging 7.5 YPC, with a long of 21 yards, scoring 2 TDs and 4 First Downs.

Sullivan has 1 reception for 13 yards, averaging 13 yards (total), scoring 0 TDs and 1 First Down.

I'm just saying, it's hard to make plays when you're not part of a play.

EXACTLY -- TRUTH !!!

Hayden Hurst is a fearless receiver and has good hands. We've been talking about him for weeks now. He is just not being allowed into the dynamics of the game. I'm not sure why..??

The "talking head" at The Athletic was careful NOT to quote Hurst as 'saying' anything about his run-blocking. Instead he said that Hurst "indicated" something about run-blocking. An "indication" is open to interpretation. An 'off-the-cuff' comment could be interpreted as an "indication" or not..??

Just saying Hurst is a dynamic TE. And realistically, we don't really need another 'blocking' style of TE. We need a "pass-catching" TE.  Think back to Greg Olsen. Greg was a pass-catcher. Really successful. Was he a "blocker".?? Well, he blocked at times, that's certain. But he wasn't known for his blocking. His role was best described as a "pass-catcher".  We haven't had a successful TE since Greg left. No TE here has been properly incorporated into the offense since then.  Cannot understand it.!!
Huh Huh
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

11-02-2023, 06:11 PM -
Here are more stats:

player........catches.......targets....catch%..........avg yds
Adam         57              70           81                 10.2
Hurst         14              24           58                   8.3
Tremble       6                7           85                   7.5

Before the season started I thought Hurst and Thielen would have more similar stats. (By the way, Chark and Mingo have lower catch %s)  I thought the TEs would be much more involved.

Why do you think Hurst's catch rate is so low?

Why is this offense not going to the TE's?
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-02-2023, 08:30 PM -
Bryce can’t see him??? Just a guess.
Ladypanther

11-02-2023, 08:59 PM -
(11-02-2023, 08:30 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Bryce can’t see him??? Just a guess.

That's short sighted.  CoolDance
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,765 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-02-2023, 09:06 PM -
(11-02-2023, 06:11 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Here are more stats:

player........catches.......targets....catch%..........avg yds
Adam         57              70           81                 10.2
Hurst         14              24           58                   8.3
Tremble       6                7           85                   7.5

Before the season started I thought Hurst and Thielen would have more similar stats. (By the way, Chark and Mingo have lower catch %s)  I thought the TEs would be much more involved.

Why do you think Hurst's catch rate is so low?

Why is this offense not going to the TE's?

Interesting numbers.  
Hurst runs primarily short, abrupt, hard-crossing routes in heavy traffic. He has had a minimal number of balls hit his hands that he didn’t hold onto.  I’ve seen only a couple of actual drops. Most of the ‘misses’ have been way high and behind him. You see him jump, twist backwards, and maybe get a fingertip on the ball. Young has a tough time throwing sharp, quick, SHORT passes into tight spots. Further downfield it’s not so bad.

From the LOS out maybe 4-6 yds it’s really congested and Young can’t get the ball down in the catch zone. This area is where Hurst lives (here with the Panthers). No reason he couldn’t run deeper crossing routes or slants, posts, or vertical seams (like Olsen used to do). But he’s just not getting any targets in that part of the field.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"