Coaches Arthur Smith, Dennis Allen have heated postgame exchange following Saints-Fal
Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

453 posts 71 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-07-2024, 04:55 PM -
A little discussion about sportsmanship apparently.

Atlanta Falcons coach Arthur Smith and New Orleans Saints coach Dennis Allen had a heated exchange during handshakes at midfield following their Sunday afternoon game.

Smith told Allen “that’s f—————g BS” after New Orleans scored a touchdown with one minute left in the game up by 24 points instead of kneeling. The Saints won 48-17, keeping their playoff hopes alive.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1744103230500422103

Allen started his postgame news conference by apologizing to Smith for the touchdown at the end of the game. Allen said the Saints should’ve taken a knee. He also said the players wanted to get Jamaal Williams a touchdown and that’s “unacceptable.”

“That’s not who we are, not what we’re about,” Allen said.

Williams said the offensive linemen decided in the huddle they wanted to get him a touchdown. He appreciated them for getting him his first one as a Saint.

“I couldn’t go home without getting him one,” said Saints guard Cesar Ruiz on his decision to get Williams his first touchdown. “Whatever heat that comes with that, put that on the O-line.”

Smith said during his postgame news conference that it “got out of hand.”

“You can do whatever you want,” Smith said. “I just gave them my opinion about it.”

https://theathletic.com/5184882/2024/01/...-exchange/

Never known the Saints to be classy.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,158 posts 61 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-07-2024, 04:58 PM -
If u don’t like it, stop it. If u can’t don’t whine.

Imho, just me
This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 04:59 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,699 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-08-2024, 12:34 AM -
(01-07-2024, 04:58 PM)Josh21 Wrote: If u don’t like it, stop it.  If u can’t don’t whine.

Imho, just me

I hear you, Josh. Ordinarily, I agree with you. If you don’t like what your opponents are doing, stop them from doing it. Pretty simple.

However…… (yeah, I know… there IS a caveat here..).  In this case, there are two things that make a difference. FIRST: The game was over and decided. The Saints were so far ahead, there was nothing to gain by adding on an additional seven points. Football is a team sport, and both teams knew the outcome. The last seconds meant nothing to either team. The Falcons had admitted defeat. Stood on the field waiting for the final whistle, doing nothing. What the Saints did was a completely classless act. Absolutely nothing for the team to gain. Very, VERY poor exhibition of sportsmanship. 

SECOND: And this is perhaps the BIGGEST issue. The Saints players refused to execute the plays in the manner the HC directed. There is always someone in charge. The HC is responsible for the actions of the team. He makes the decisions. The players do what they’re told. It MUST work that way… no exceptions, no excuses. If I were in charge… there WOULD be repercussions. Axes would fall. Heads would roll. I would not be surprised to see (hear) about a player or players getting huge fines or other penalties, or possibly being forced off of the team. 

It’s disgraceful….
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,099 posts 690 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-08-2024, 06:42 AM -
(01-07-2024, 04:58 PM)Josh21 Wrote: If u don’t like it, stop it.  If u can’t don’t whine.

Imho, just me

That ^^^^

(And let me prefix my opinion by stating that I did not, and do not, know what happened during that game, as I did not watch it)

And to be perfectly honest, teams are paid to score points, not to let the "little guy off the hook".    It does matter how many points you scored in a season, especially during the playoffs when your position might be affected pro or con determining rather you or another team get the seed advantage.
This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 06:45 AM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-08-2024, 05:14 PM -
(01-08-2024, 06:42 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:

Imho, just me

That ^^^^

(And let me prefix my opinion by stating that I did not, and do not, know what happened during that game, as I did not watch it)

And to be perfectly honest, teams are paid to score points, not to let the "little guy off the hook".    It does matter how many points you scored in a season, especially during the playoffs when your position might be affected pro or con determining rather you or another team get the seed advantage.

So... Okay.  What is your position on coaches.? Does the HC control the team... OR not.?? Do the coordinators and position coaches overrule the HC.??  Do the players do what they want, any time they want.?? THAT is what this is about..!! 

If all of this ^^^ is true, then why hire a HC at all.??  Just let the players do what they want.?? Sounds like anarchy to me.!!

Someone has to be in charge. Someone has to be at the apex of the triangle. SOMEONE has to make the decisions and accept the responsibility. If you allow the players to make their own decisions without regard for the TEAM...??  All team sports would cease to exist.

THIS situation is about the chain of command. Those 6 points mean NOTHING. And it most certainly does not have anything to do with playoff "seeding". Neither team is in any "race" for the playoffs. Either one would be a "wildcard" and subject to the play-in games. NO advantage either way.

As I said, I agree about the principle Josh mentioned. I've always said "Keep your foot on the gas" -- as long as there is a reason to do so. THIS game, however, was OVER. Seconds left, insurmountable lead, the leading team had the ball. NOTHING to be gained.... Why go all out to play another snap or two --- AND risk players injuries --- AND disobey the HC.  NOTHING about this makes sense.

(IMHO)
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-08-2024, 08:04 PM -
SO...

As it turns out, the Saints HC, Dennis Allen, has little to say about the incident.  He stands by what he said yesterday... "The players were wrong... overrule coaches". He doesn't think there is a disconnect between players and coaches. (LOLOL).

There are a group of players who don't mind telling you what they think. In general, they say 'it is what it is'. '...we received our instructions, ... we went against them".  "...dont care what the world thinks"  'the world isn't this locker room' 'we'll deal with the insubordination in-house".

Sounds like there is "strife" in Nawlins...

But.... In any event, if the HC (Allen) doesn't have the balls to say anything, or truly 'doesn't care', then I guess it will end right there.  Or, not...

¿Quien sabe?

I'm not going to spend any more time on it.  Let N.O. Saints deal with it (internally.. ha ha).
Tongue
Ladypanther

01-08-2024, 09:43 PM -
Saints mess for sure.  It says to me that the players do not respect their HC.  So far looks like Allen will get another year.  Works for me.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-08-2024, 11:20 PM -
(01-08-2024, 09:43 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Saints mess for sure.  It says to me that the players do not respect their HC.  So far looks like Allen will get another year.  Works for me.

I think you have it exactly right...

No respect for the coaches, no discipline. And everyone just doing the CYA thing.  

You're right -- Allen may survive it. Although I feel as if we have not heard the last of this.  Could be the "straw" ...
Rolleyes
Ladypanther

01-10-2024, 08:21 AM -
Here is what the Athletic said.

https://theathletic.com/5183401/2024/01/...decisions/

Dislikes
New Orleans Saints’ fake kneel

First, I want it known that I have no problem with a team running up the score. This is professional football, not Pop Warner. My problem is with how the Saints did it.

On the 1-yard line, they got into victory formation and handed off the ball to Jamaal Williams. Saints coach Dennis Allen said after the game that it wasn’t his decision. He called for a kneeldown. Backup quarterback Jameis Winston said after the game that he went rogue and made that call himself and that it was a “team decision.” The team not respecting its head coach enough and going against his direct order might be worse than Allen calling this himself. Let’s just call this a Saints decision.

>This play crosses the line because the defense will let up as an act of sportsmanship when a team gets into victory formation. It’s an unspoken agreement for both teams to end the game and get out without any more injuries. The Saints signaled to start this process and then broke the agreement. NFL teams were furious at former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano when he had his defenses fire off hard against victory formations years ago. If you want to score a touchdown, get into a regular formation and give your opponent a fair chance to defend. To fake a kneeldown is deceptive, unethical and bush league.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

01-10-2024, 11:23 AM -
(01-10-2024, 08:21 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: Here is what the Athletic said.

https://theathletic.com/5183401/2024/01/...decisions/

Dislikes
New Orleans Saints’ fake kneel

First, I want it known that I have no problem with a team running up the score. This is professional football, not Pop Warner. My problem is with how the Saints did it.

On the 1-yard line, they got into victory formation and handed off the ball to Jamaal Williams. Saints coach Dennis Allen said after the game that it wasn’t his decision. He called for a kneeldown. Backup quarterback Jameis Winston said after the game that he went rogue and made that call himself and that it was a “team decision.” The team not respecting its head coach enough and going against his direct order might be worse than Allen calling this himself. Let’s just call this a Saints decision.

>This play crosses the line because the defense will let up as an act of sportsmanship when a team gets into victory formation. It’s an unspoken agreement for both teams to end the game and get out without any more injuries. The Saints signaled to start this process and then broke the agreement. NFL teams were furious at former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano when he had his defenses fire off hard against victory formations years ago. If you want to score a touchdown, get into a regular formation and give your opponent a fair chance to defend. To fake a kneeldown is deceptive, unethical and bush league.

EXACTLY...