Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,760 posts 502 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-29-2020, 07:01 PM -
SO...
Everyone knows the Panthers have been signing WRs. Right now we have at least eight (8) on the roster.  And the draft is still to come. Of those eight, a lot of them are recent signings (maybe five..??).

So the question(s) is/are ... How many WRs stay around?

And maybe a better question is...Do one of our significant WRs from last year get booted to make room.??  I'm thinking here of DJ Moore, or Curtis Samuel.....

What do you think??  Surprisingly (not surprisingly..??) that very question is being asked by others in other places..!!  So, the rumor mill about WRs begins.  As noted here by CSR.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2020/3/...p-who-goes
This post was last modified: 03-29-2020, 07:02 PM by Hobbit99.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-29-2020, 07:53 PM -
Probably will carry 5. Two current roster players are camp fodders. White will probably be practice squad if the others are healthy. I think the panthers started camp with like 10 last year. Don’t see it being an issue. Might even add one more for save measure.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-30-2020, 07:28 AM -
I think Rhule and Company are "Nouveau Riche" and are going on a spending spree right now just to test the waters and see how it feels "up here in the big game".

We won't keep many WRs, as said, maybe five, but many of these we are signing now will become Camp Fodder, especially if someone spectacular falls to us in the Draft or comes into Camp and exceeds all expectations.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-30-2020, 06:01 PM -
(03-29-2020, 07:53 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Probably will carry 5. Two current roster players are camp fodders. White will probably be practice squad if the others are healthy. I think the panthers started camp with like 10 last year. Don’t see it being an issue. Might even add one more for save measure.

(03-30-2020, 07:28 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I think Rhule and Company are "Nouveau Riche" and are going on a spending spree right now just to test the waters and see how it feels "up here in the big game".

We won't keep many WRs, as said, maybe five, but many of these we are signing now will become Camp Fodder, especially if someone spectacular falls to us in the Draft or comes into Camp and exceeds all expectations.

Well.....YES, I agree (sort of..)....
The REAL question though was about Moore and Samuel. Are we going to sacrifice either of them on the "Rebuild Alter"??? Samuel has S P E E D to burn and can operate out of the backfield. Moore, while not as fast, has great moves with the ball and his YAC are impressive. If we roster both of these guys and add in Robbie Anderson, and Pharoh Cooper.....it doesn't look like there is much room to maneuver with all the rest of them...???
Firstchance

03-30-2020, 07:22 PM -
Got it. Personally I think both will be safe. I do however see Samuel taking a much larger roll in a Rhule offense, which unfortunate I think will be similar to a college offense ( and won’t work very well in the NFL ).
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-30-2020, 11:01 PM -
They may just want 5-6 capable wrs. Novel idea. Dj, cs, n Anderson seem safe. Next teir fights it out. ? Hope the same search goes on for all positions. Could help
iiwii
Administrator

86 posts 9 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-31-2020, 04:37 AM -
Rhule tried to recruit DJ Moore coming out of high school, and now he is on his team. I don't think Moore is going anywhere.
Firstchance

04-01-2020, 06:52 AM -
Good point but there was 21 teams who “recruited” Moore out of high school. In fact with Moore being from Philly it would have been crazy for Rhule not to even offer him. Moore however, quite possibly thought his skill set was better for the system that Maryland ran, and he was successful. With that said, Moore is very safe. I still think Samuel will have more success ( if he can stay healthy) than last year and anticipate Moore’s production will be less than the prior year. Or I should say that I believe this will be the case early on. After about 4-6 games the coaching staff will figure out...that a college offensive will not work in the NFL., the field is not wide enough and overall player speed is so much greater.
45catfan

12 posts 1 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-19-2020, 03:52 PM -
I doubt we draft a WR high because there is not room on the game day roster for him. We've never carried more than 6 on the 53 man roster with no more than 5 active on game days. If so, we have to cut one of our recently signed FA WR or trade Moore or Samuel. We already have 10 WRs on the roster now...typically only taking 11-12 to camp. So a couple of camp bodies after the draft and that's it.
There's always next year....
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-19-2020, 06:55 PM -
This is one of the roster battles that is most intriguing. We have a lot of skilled WRs and just a few roster spots. We won't (and CAN'T..) keep them all. Going to be interesting to see who makes the cut. I can't see us drafting another WR...at least not early. Maybe 7th or UDFA..??