Started by Ladypanther

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

43 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,699 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2024, 01:35 PM -
(03-04-2024, 01:26 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: It might have been their nest in Bluff City.  I have just followed the Johnson City nest.

Probably was..

There has been quite a turnover at the Johnson City nest in the past 4-5 years. At least two different females and two different males as well.  Hard to believe there has been that much mortality. Still, these are living creatures whose lives are intertwined with other living things.  Still seems "odd" there would be that many "lost" eagle adults in that period of time...

Fingers crossed for this pair.  Praying
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

453 posts 71 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-04-2024, 07:14 PM -
There was a couple I watched for a good while that I was really attached to.  (Shima and Noshi) They were great parents.  About the time the covid shutdowns started...the male (Noshi) suddenly was missing. with cicks in the nest Search parties were organized, and as I was freshly  downsized by covid job cuts I almost went over to help look.  Then a younger male started hanging around giving a clue as to what had happened. I still miss that couple.

These great creatures fight for survival every day.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-04-2024, 07:47 PM -
Some years back I was a pretty avid canoe paddler - camper. Spent a lot of time on the water around NC looking for quiet places to sit and rest for awhile, make some coffee and 'easy' food then tuck in to get an early start in the morning.  I started to use Lake Jordan (re: Jordan Lake) because there was a very quiet, calm section where no power craft of any sort were permitted.  I quickly found out why.  Bald Eagles everywhere. Lots of nesting in that area. Would be a prime spot to set up multiple nesting stations with cameras.  Don't know why it hasn't been done.. Last I heard there was only one camera up there.

We need MORE eagles on camera.!!
Ladypanther

03-04-2024, 10:12 PM -
Intruder late this afternoon. (another eagle...think a young one it seems).  Dad was in the nest...was cool to see how he sheltered and protected the babies.  Was very vocal. When Mom came back the intruder made a quick exit.

Love the time stamps they provide...lets you go back and see interesting stuff.
Ladypanther

03-12-2024, 06:38 PM -
Have you looked in on the JC eagles lately Hobs?  I think they have doubled in size in the past week.  Parents are doing a great job!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-13-2024, 04:21 AM -
(03-12-2024, 06:38 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Have you looked in on the JC eagles lately Hobs?  I think they have doubled in size in the past week.  Parents are doing a great job!

*** VBG ***

Yeah, i glance in at least once a day, usually more.  Definitely looking stronger (and bigger). It's neat to see them doing well.  The dangerous time is getting closer -- when they start getting more active and taking more chances. Falling out of the nest is a real "thing".  I keep hoping they both survive and live long lives and start their own families.  Fingers crossed.!!
 Praying
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-14-2024, 01:30 PM -
Love the time stamps...

Eaglets are getting BIG.!! #2 looks to have caught up with #1.!!  I think Mom or Dad needs to clean out that nest. Too many old, nasty fish parts and guts laying around.!!    Phew...stinky.!! Especially now that it's getting warmer.!!

"Housekeeping..... Housekeeping, clean up on aisle PINE-4" 
Smile
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-15-2024, 12:37 PM -
Apparently Boone has decided to do some nest 'improvements'. Not sure Jolene agrees. Boone brings back some new sticks then looks to Jolene as if to ask "Did I do good.??"

It's fun(ny) to watch those two together..  Tongue
Ladypanther

03-15-2024, 05:13 PM -
Agree Hobs...it is fun.  I am kind of addicted.

It seems these days that the eaglettes are eating all the time.  Parents are good providers.  Love watching Boone trying to spruce things up.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-26-2024, 04:12 PM -
GOODNESS GRACIOUS..!!!

Those 'little' guys are getting BIG..!!  Just the other day they were the size of a baseball.!!  Fbwow Fbwow

No more "FUZZY-WUZZIES".  Those little balls of fur are growing real bird feathers.!! Big hooked beaks. They're as big as a small chicken.  And SO talkative.!!