Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2024, 09:26 PM -
Not really surprising, but I don't think we could get a whole lot for him.  He has been injured, mostly by being burned ( Tongue ) and not sure anybody out there would see him as anything more than a backup.

Report: Panthers expected to trade or release CB Donte Jackson (msn.com)

One of the longest-tenured Carolina Panthers may not be tenured by the Carolina Panthers much longer.

According to ESPN senior NFL reporter Jeremy Fowler, the team is expected to part ways with cornerback Donte Jackson. Fowler notes that the Panthers will likely look to trade or release the 28-year-old defender in the coming days.

Such a move would logically go down before March 16, when Jackson would earn a $4 million roster bonus. A release of the veteran corner would save Carolina $5.9 million of cap space this offseason.

A standout speedster at Louisiana State University, Jackson was selected by the organization in the second round of the 2018 NFL draft. Since then, he's made 76 starts over 80 games—recording 303 combined tackles, 14 interceptions and three forced fumbles.
Jackson played in 16 of 17 games this past season after sustaining a torn Achilles tendon in 2022. He was named the team's Ed Block Courage Award winner for his valiant recovery and comeback.

2024 would mark the final campaign of the three-year, $35.1 million deal Jackson signed with the Panthers two springs ago.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2024, 11:31 PM -
I read this article earlier, and one thing stood out. Well, several things really.....

You know, I never understood the animosity toward Jackson. Also, I never looked up his career "stats" either.  So, I'll just go ahead and say what I'm thinking I guess..... 76 starts out of 80 games played.?? 16 out of 17 games last year. Sounds pretty darn good to me. Injured a lot.?? Nope, not really. Not ideal for certain, worse than some, but better than others. Severe injury in 2022, torn achilles.... complete comeback last year.  Even with the occasional games missed, 14 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles..??  303 tackles..??  Sounds like a pretty darn effective CB to me.

So, yes, IF the Panthers decide to release Jackson, it will undoubtedly be before the new league year starts. Saves the roster bonus...  But imagine this.... If you thought our CB room was needy LAST year, just wait until Jackson is gone.!!  Where do you find that kind of experience at a 'comfortable' pay scale..??

I don't know folks.... Sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2024, 03:57 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2024, 11:54 PM -
I agree. Like Jackson. He’s a starter, n 28. I’d hope an extension, or restructure. We have enough holes, w/o adding cb. Just my hope. He n JC are a good pair. Need a nickel.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-05-2024, 02:00 AM -
(03-04-2024, 11:54 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I agree.  Like Jackson.  He’s a starter, n 28.  I’d hope an extension, or restructure.  We have enough holes, w/o adding cb.  Just my hope.  He n JC are a good pair.  Need a nickel.

YEP...

If ANY CB was underperforming, it would be Horn.  He's missed more games than he's played.  When he's on the field, he's very good. But he can't claim to be "good" if he's not playing.  Since he was drafted, the Panthers have played 51 games.  Horn has played in 22 of those games. He has missed 29 games.  That means he has missed 57% of the games -- over the first 3 years of his career.

So... Can we count on Horn to play in every game, or maybe just most games.??  The answer is obviously "NO".  So, with Horn an "unknown", and Jackson set to be "gone"...??  What exactly are we going to do for CBs this year.??  Serious Question...!!

Another question... This is "Year Four" of Horn's rookie contract. Playing like he is, what do you think the odds are that the Panthers will pick up his 5th year option..??  Next year at this time he will be out of a job, looking at Free Agency..... Unless he does something magical this year.
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 02:14 AM by Hobbit99.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-05-2024, 08:39 AM -
I agree about getting too thin. How would we replace him, Henderson and add some quality depth? Seems worth keeping him at this point.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-05-2024, 03:57 PM -
(03-05-2024, 08:39 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: I agree about getting too thin. How would we replace him, Henderson and add some quality depth? Seems worth keeping him at this point.

You asked a good question LP.  Wish I knew the answer.  We have eight or nine CBs on the roster I think. I can name six for sure -- Horn; Jackson; Bootle; Jamison; Hill; and Henderson. Seems like there are several more too.  Right now I would say that your suggestion has merit.  Henderson has more playing time than most, but I think Troy Hill has been more effective. I'll go check the roster...

Okay, so in addition to those named up there, we also have Shaquille Griffin, Lamar Jackson, and AJ Parker.  None of which have any stat line to talk about.  So, yeah, right now I'd say you're probably right. It'd have to be Henderson and Troy Hill.  I think both of them are serviceable, but I'd lean more toward Hill.  So if Jackson leaves we're pretty much in deep dookie. Especially if we HAD to rely on Horn.  Look for a good veteran in FA, and another in the draft, I guess...???
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 03:59 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-05-2024, 06:05 PM -
(03-05-2024, 08:39 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: I agree about getting too thin. How would we replace him, Henderson and add some quality depth? Seems worth keeping him at this point.

Having CJ Henderson on the field is like having a revolving door.  The dude tries his backside off, but danged, he gets burned worse than Venus.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-06-2024, 10:28 AM -
To expand just a little on Horn and Jackson as mentioned above… I consider Jackson to be a solid CB. What the Panthers decide to do with him is a different matter. He very well could end up leaving. Hopefully the Panthers figure it out to our advantage.

The Horn dilemma is what bothers me. His career “effectiveness” was documented up above, so I won’t go into it again. Drafted in 2021, he has ‘completed’ three years in the league. 1st round pick in ‘21, this year (2024) will mark the end of his rookie contract. The Panthers have a 5th year option they COULD use for 2025, which would give him two more years here.  PROBLEM: The option comes into play RSN (Real Soon Now). The Panthers have to exercise the option NLT May 2, 2024. This is almost immediately after the draft, and before mini-camp, before workouts, before OTAs, and before Training Camp.

Given Horn’s lack of productivity and almost constant injury status…. What do the Panthers do about the 5th year option.???  REMEMBER: The option incurs a significant money payout and Cap hit… 

Sick Huh
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-06-2024, 12:47 PM -
(03-06-2024, 10:28 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: To expand just a little on Horn and Jackson as mentioned above… I consider Jackson to be a solid CB. What the Panthers decide to do with him is a different matter. He very well could end up leaving. Hopefully the Panthers figure it out to our advantage.

The Horn dilemma is what bothers me. His career “effectiveness” was documented up above, so I won’t go into it again. Drafted in 2021, he has ‘completed’ three years in the league. 1st round pick in ‘21, this year (2024) will mark the end of his rookie contract. The Panthers have a 5th year option they COULD use for 2025, which would give him two more years here.  PROBLEM: The option comes into play RSN (Real Soon Now). The Panthers have to exercise the option NLT May 2, 2024. This is almost immediately after the draft, and before mini-camp, before workouts, before OTAs, and before Training Camp.

Given Horn’s lack of productivity and almost constant injury status…. What do the Panthers do about the 5th year option.???  REMEMBER: The option incurs a significant money payout and Cap hit… 

Sick Huh

Look, I liked Horn at South Carolina, but he hasn't stayed healthy enough or played enough to warrant the money he would want to stay here.  I hope he gets healthy and stays that way for his own good, but for us, I don't see a future for him on this Team.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-06-2024, 04:55 PM -
(03-06-2024, 12:47 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Look, I liked Horn at South Carolina, but he hasn't stayed healthy enough or played enough to warrant the money he would want to stay here.  I hope he gets healthy and stays that way for his own good, but for us, I don't see a future for him on this Team.

I am inclined to agree with you.  I am just hoping that the Panthers don't pick up the 5th yr. option.  It's coming up way too fast and there is just no time to evaluate before May 2nd.  I could see Horn sticking around if he has a decent season this year. But he has to prove that he can play without getting hurt. He absolutely MUST play way more than 50% of the games.!!!  If he stays healthy and plays decently this year, I would not be opposed to negotiating a new contract. Just NO 5th yr deal and NO guaranteed long-term deal either. He will probably want big money as you said, but I don't care.!!  NO big money deals until he has proven himself capable of staying on the field and playing like a 1st rounder.

Personally, I don't believe he can do it. He's a GOOD CB when he's on the field. He's just never on the field.  WELL...almost never.