SALARY CAP HELL -- WHO IS SUFFERING THE FIRE..??
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2024, 03:10 AM -
Lately it seems as if everyone (???) is constantly complaining about how the Panthers have mis-managed the CAP. So, depending on which source you use, the Panthers are currently looking at about $40M in cap space -- give or take, considering the TOP 51, and Dead Cap, and etc., etc.

For your reading pleasure, here are the Cap numbers for the ten (10) teams that are in the worst position this year.

NOTE: THESE ARE OLD CAP NUMBERS -- CURRENT NUMBERS ARE MUCH WORSE..!!  NEW NUMBERS PUT THE SAINTS AT MORE THAN $80M IN THE HOLE... IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN NEWER NUMBERS, CHECK OUT THIS LINK FROM BLEACHER REPORT.
10 Worst Cap Teams As Of February 15th.

#10 -- GB Packers   (+)$5.58M
#9  --  Pitt. Steelers   (-)$767,000  (that's THOUSAND - And it's NEGATIVE.!!)
#8  --  Clev. Browns   (-)$1.55M  (NEGATIVE)
#7  --  SF 49ers    (-)$7.41M  (NEGATIVE)
#6  --  Dal. Cowboys   (-)$9.84M  (NEGATIVE)
#5  --  LA Chargers   (-)$20.84M  (NEGATIVE)
#4  --  Mia. Dolphins   (-)$24.64M  (NEGATIVE)
#3  --  Den. Broncos   (-)$27.17M  (NEGATIVE)
#2  --  NO Saints   (-)$32.44M  (NEGATIVE)

AND NOW --- The #! worst team in Cap Hell is......

#1  --  Buf. Bills    (-)$42.83M  (NEGATIVE)

CAN YOU IMAGINE --- Having to cut  $43M off of player salaries just to get under the TOP 51 Cap number.???  And it only gets worse.!!  As the teams get closer to cut down, the Cap Number includes the 53 roster including the rookie draftees as well as the Practice Squad players.  Plus you have to have some money to manipulate players as the season begins...

I would contend that the Panthers are doing pretty OK. Wouldn't you..??
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 02:41 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2024, 01:43 PM -
The Panthers are not bleeding, per se, but they do still owe Frank Reich money, and probably several of his staff that left. Thankfully, we don't have any "Superstars" other than maybe Brian Burns to worry about paying.

We could afford a couple or three name brand free agents.
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 01:44 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-05-2024, 02:39 PM -
(03-05-2024, 01:43 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: The Panthers are not bleeding, per se, but they do still owe Frank Reich money, and probably several of his staff that left.  Thankfully, we don't have any "Superstars" other than maybe Brian Burns to worry about paying.

We could afford a couple or three name brand free agents.

You're right of course about Reich (and maybe some staff as well..). But as you well know, coaches salary has nothing to do with the CAP. We probably OVER-paid for an UNDER-performing coach (TWICE - if you add in Rhule..).  Hopefully THAT trend is at an end.!!!
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2024, 04:26 PM -
No a problem (with me) from how much cap space we have/had… best I can tell is that the number is/was around 35 million…BUT since we tagged Burns, did 24 million not go away?? That was my concern, you take that number and your draft selection number, you just don’t have the room to be creative. I hope that makes since. ((And I am just assuming those funds have to remain available in case burns signs))
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 04:27 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-05-2024, 08:28 PM -
(03-05-2024, 04:26 PM)Firstchance Wrote: No a problem (with me) from how much cap space we have/had… best I can tell is that the number is/was around 35 million…BUT since we tagged Burns, did 24 million not go away?? That was my concern, you take that number and your draft selection number, you just don’t have the room to be creative. I hope that makes since. ((And I am just assuming those funds have to remain available in case burns signs))

You make a valid point, First.  There is always different ways to look at things. The "problem" with the TAG is ... it's not really in play unless and until Burns signs it. Up until Burns signs it, the Panthers can rescind the TAG and Burns becomes a UFA.  Burns can negotiate with other teams after the tampering period begins  (on the 11th) and can "sign" a contract on the 13th. Burns could sign the tag anytime, but if he did he would give away some of his bargaining power.  The Cap comes into play with the new league year. So, on the 13th at 4:00 PM the Panthers must be under the Cap.  So, IF Burns was to sign the TAG, then yes, the TAG would count against the Cap at 4:00 PM on the 13th. Until then, no harm-no foul.

I guess ... If the Panthers needed the Cap space they COULD just rescind the Tag at any point before Burns signed it.  Otherwise, they would have to allow for it as you suggested.  However, there are several contracts that could be renegotiated to make space, as well as several players who could "get the axe" and that would make space as well. I really don't see this affecting what the Panthers "do" ... at least initially. Although, as we've seen multiple times, anything can happen...
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-05-2024, 08:37 PM -
I am still not ruling out a trade.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-05-2024, 08:50 PM -
(03-05-2024, 08:37 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: I am still not ruling out a trade.

Exactly right...

I suspect Burns and his agent will "shop" him carefully under the TAG among teams who need/want outside help.  I would expect Burns to grab any deal that made him richer.  Nothing can happen (officially) until the 13th, but I expect to see some movement on this before too long. Any team that wants Burns will probably move fast after the year "opens" to avoid another team beating them to the deal.  I would think we'll see something within a week or so after the 13th if the TAG is in play.

A true "trade" could happen at any time up until the trade deadline. Burns would have no say in the matter..... WELL, he could refuse to go play for a different team, I guess.  Can't see that happening though...
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 08:57 PM by Hobbit99.