Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,699 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-14-2024, 10:52 PM -
One of the other threads here has taken on a bit of a different direction. The "Comparisons and Descriptives" thread has slowly absorbed a bunch of quotes as I got a little lazy. Quotes are a different animal, require some research, and deserve their own place to shine. So I'm starting this thread so that they will have a home, rather than being buried among similes, metaphors, and proverbs.  I will end up moving them over here i think..... along with the new ones as they are added.

So I'll start this off with a few from the other thread.  PLEASE:  Join in with a quote. Even if you can't remember it exactly. If you remember it. it's probably worth remembering.!!

“Letting the cat out of the bag…is a whole lot easier than putting him back in.”  
Attributed to Will Rogers
TRUTH..!!!

"There is no war so hateful to the gods as a war between kin; and no war so bloody as a war between dragons."
Not sure of the attribution.  Maybe from 'Game Of Thrones'..??  Maybe..??
Great quote.

"It is not easy to tame one’s mind. Very few of us can manage it, even when taught. We doubt ourselves; we doubt the sincerity and motives of others. We cling to childish beliefs even as the evidence around us proves otherwise."
"The Druid" by Jeff Wheeler 
This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 11:27 AM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-18-2024, 11:25 AM -
Quoting Bronte is a privilege...

Her coming was my hope each day,
Her parting was my pain;
The chance that did her steps delay,
Was ice in every vein.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

A couple more from a recent read...

"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility."
by James Thurber

"Man is born unto trouble as sure as sparks fly upward."
Job 5:7
This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 11:52 AM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-18-2024, 07:28 PM -
Here is part of a conversation that strikes a balance between chastisement and pointed criticism...

Quote:“I like modern things. Slick, sleek, minimalist.”
“It’s unlivable,” she declared.
“I’m sorry?”
“You don’t need to apologize. You just didn’t know any better when you bought all this.” 
  Taunt
“I know what I like. Everyone to his own taste.”
“Do you ever sit here?” she asked.
“Why would I sit here?”
“Exactly my point. Sitting here would be about as comfortable as sitting in a dentist’s waiting room.”   Tongue
“Who sits in any living room?” he said. “People sit in their family rooms.”
“Then why have a living room?”
“Well, houses have always had living rooms.”
“The view is cool,” she said. “I like how you put the ocean just where you did.”    Big Grin Worship

The Bad Weather Friend" by Dean Koontz

Quote:What have you done to your hair?”
“Nothing.”
“That’s what I thought.”

"The Bad Weather Friend" by Dean Koontz   

This book is absolutely full of brilliant conversation, satire, and witty rejoinder. It's a study in vocabulary as well.  Koontz is a master at letting his characters breathe.
This post was last modified: 03-21-2024, 12:15 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-18-2024, 09:47 PM -
Here's a couple more, then we'll leave Koontz --- at least for awhile....

Quote:He was a hulk with a good heart and a quick mind in which, unfortunately, fantasy and reality were as tightly braided as dreadlocks.

Quote:Benny stood on his doorstep, watching her go until she was out of sight. He was alone on the table, a mere dessert-spoon in an incomplete and meaningless place setting.

Quote:"My pretty boy’?” Benny scoffed. “Who talks like that?” “Maybe younger wives of headmasters. But Galsbury is farther from pretty than the distance between ass and posterior in the dictionary.”

Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-21-2024, 10:16 AM -
Here are a couple of quotes that you may (or may NOT..) have heard.  This first one has been attributed to several people over the years, but most frequently to Winston Churchill. I suppose it's because Churchill said something similar about fighting in a speech during the Battle of Britain when Germany was bombing England and "buzz bombs" were flying....

"We'll Fight Them, Sir, Until Hell Freezes Over, and Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice" 
...An unnamed Confederate officer to General Robert E. Lee -- Battle of Gettysburg.

And here is what Winston Churchill had to say in one of his most famous speeches before the House of Commons on June 04, 1940, during the Battle of Britain.  Winston Churchill was knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 1953, becoming Sir Winston Churchill, KG

"...We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender."
Att: Winston Churchill
This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 06:37 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-25-2024, 12:18 PM -
Martin Luther King Jr is frequently quoted. Here are three I read this morning.

Quote:"All that needs to happen for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
Att.  Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote:"The day we see the truth and cease to speak is the day we begin to die"

Quote:"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-26-2024, 05:48 PM -
Right, wrong; For, against; Involved, not involved; Lawful, unlawful; Attacking, defending; Giving, receiving.....

As Leonard Cohen was wont to say.....

Quote:"There is no decent place to stand in a massacre."
Att. Leonard Cohen
This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 06:42 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-26-2024, 08:05 PM -
Here is another quote from conversation contained in "The Bad Weather Friend" by Dean Koontz.  I've only recently started reading Koontz. I am  amazed at his command of English structure, the use of "understatement", and his ability to develop characters. This book is full of great vocabulary and idiomatic speech. He is a master at developing characters through conversation.

Quote:“You some mush-brain dimwit?” the guy with the machete asked Spike.
“Why?” Spike asked. “Are you starting a club?”

"The Bad Weather Friend"  by Dean Koontz
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

04-14-2024, 10:29 AM -
Once again, I find myself returning to "The Bad Weather Friend" by Dean Koontz.  I have just about ran out of material from this book though, so I'll soon move on to other sources.

Quote:"...the huge box seemed to resist illumination; it stood in shadows that appeared to be unrelated to the fall of light, as if a darkness as soft as soot seeped from the thing, gathering under and around it in a miasmic mist."

"The Bad Weather Friend"  by Dean Koontz
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,158 posts 61 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-23-2024, 11:28 PM -
Seasonal humor.

“Pollen, when flowers can’t it in their plants.”

Midway vet, nc.

Keep^. Dang it

I almost made a funny.
This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 11:29 PM by Josh21.