Josh21
Posting Freak

1,154 posts 61 threads Joined: Dec 2019
Sad  04-26-2024, 12:09 AM -
Didn’t give up much.  Still got 39.  Get another guy that’s good. Yup
OceanPanther

97 posts 11 threads Joined: Mar 2020
04-26-2024, 08:54 AM -
No one will remember the 5th or 6th we gave up if Legette pans out ..
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,683 posts 494 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-26-2024, 10:38 AM -
(04-26-2024, 08:54 AM)OceanPanther Wrote: No one will remember  the 5th or 6th we gave up if Legette pans out ..

Probably correct....     Cry  Sick

Still, that is a little like saying "If the coffee tastes good, you won't mind the $8.00 charge for a cup."  Or, perhaps more to the point, "The Legette deal is all about "The cost of doing business in the NFL."

I would contend that EVERY deal should be able to withstand the rigor of a 'cost-benefit analysis'. This 'deal' makes very little sense on the face of it. It shows how little we actually think before we jump.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

429 posts 67 threads Joined: Oct 2023
04-26-2024, 11:20 AM -
(04-26-2024, 10:38 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 08:54 AM)OceanPanther Wrote: No one will remember  the 5th or 6th we gave up if Legette pans out ..

Still, that is a little like saying "If the coffee tastes good, you won't mind the $8.00 charge for a cup."  Or, perhaps more to the point, "The Legette deal is all about "The cost of doing business in the NFL."

I would contend that EVERY deal should be able to withstand the rigor of a 'cost-benefit analysis'. This 'deal' makes very little sense on the face of it. It shows how little we actually think before we jump.

Sorry Hobs...got to disagree. (And I rarely disagree with you)  Good receivers are very expensive.  That extra year will mean a lot for the cap and allow up to keep someone else we like on the team. Worth millions.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,683 posts 494 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-26-2024, 12:57 PM -
(04-26-2024, 11:20 AM)Ladypanther Wrote:

Sorry Hobs...got to disagree. (And I rarely disagree with you)  Good receivers are very expensive.  That extra year will mean a lot for the cap and allow up to keep someone else we like on the team. Worth millions.

Well.... Thanks for the nod. But, maybe you realize it, maybe not, but the fifth-year option does NOT just extend the rookie contract. It COSTS money. A LOT of money. YES, it allows the team to lock up the player for an additional year. But the contract cost for that year is approximately equal to the cost of the "Transition" tag. So being "worth" millions ... hmmm, not really.  Look up franchise tag options. You'll see how expensive they are. All it does is add one potential year before the player can hit free agency. So they get one additional year added to their rookie contract, but they GET PAID like a high-performing veteran. And the reality is, only about 50% of 1st rounders ever perform under a fifth-year option.

There is a downside to the fifth-year option too. The option has to be selected at the end of year three. So the team "opts-in" for the fifth year BEFORE the player even goes on the field for the fourth year. That is a real leap of faith in a lot of cases. Think about Jaycee Horn. The drop dead date for Horn is Tuesday, May 2nd. The Panthers will have to decide if they want to exercise the "option" on Horn by that date. Knowing what we do about Horn and his constant injuries, his availability, etc. (he played in 22 of 51 possible games..) --- Do the Panthers "opt-in" on the fifth year at a really high rate..???
Huh
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

429 posts 67 threads Joined: Oct 2023
04-26-2024, 05:43 PM -
(04-26-2024, 12:57 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 11:20 AM)Ladypanther Wrote:

Well.... Thanks for the nod. But, maybe you realize it, maybe not, but the fifth-year option does NOT just extend the rookie contract. It COSTS money. A LOT of money. YES, it allows the team to lock up the player for an additional year. But the contract cost for that year is approximately equal to the cost of the "Transition" tag. So being "worth" millions ... hmmm, not really.  Look up franchise tag options. You'll see how expensive they are. All it does is add one potential year before the player can hit free agency. So they get one additional year added to their rookie contract, but they GET PAID like a high-performing veteran. And the reality is, only about 50% of 1st rounders ever perform under a fifth-year option.

There is a downside to the fifth-year option too. The option has to be selected at the end of year three. So the team "opts-in" for the fifth year BEFORE the player even goes on the field for the fourth year. That is a real leap of faith in a lot of cases. Think about Jaycee Horn. The drop dead date for Horn is Tuesday, May 2nd. The Panthers will have to decide if they want to exercise the "option" on Horn by that date. Knowing what we do about Horn and his constant injuries, his availability, etc. (he played in 22 of 51 possible games..) --- Do the Panthers "opt-in" on the fifth year at a really high rate..???
Huh

I know the money is different.  Still not bidding for a WR in free agency.  I think it is generally considered a smart move. IIRC a few years ago I think baltimore jumped to the bottom of the 1st round to get Jackson.

Additionally...sounds like XL was their guy and they did not want to miss out. Dave really likes him...hope he is right.  

I am going to trust these guys until they prove I shouldn't.

Horn has been very unlucky.  He is talented.  We had another talented player who got a lot of injuries and then miraculously stayed on the field when we traded him to the 49ers.

By the way word is the Panthers will exercise the 5th year option on Horn.
This post was last modified: 04-26-2024, 05:47 PM by Ladypanther.
Firstchance

707 posts 80 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-26-2024, 05:51 PM -
One other thing and then I will shut up… seems people may want that. That one other thing is that a 32nd selection is set to make about 2.5 million more than a second round 33rd selection. So it all adds up. Just not a good move in my opinion, if the kid can stay HEALTHY and produce simply extend him in the third year. 2.5 with interest is probably 3 of whatever that will cost.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,085 posts 683 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-26-2024, 07:12 PM -
Let me tell you a story.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PICK.

The End.

Tongue