Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,085 posts 683 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-26-2024, 07:50 PM -
Like him or not, I don't care.  Watch this awesome tribute and story about Xavier uploaded by the Gamecocks.

I was born just a few miles from Mullins, so I am very familiar with the area and have lots of relatives down that way.

Josh21
Posting Freak

1,154 posts 61 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-26-2024, 08:20 PM -
Nice vid.
Ladypanther

429 posts 67 threads Joined: Oct 2023
04-26-2024, 09:51 PM -
(04-26-2024, 07:50 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Like him or not, I don't care.  Watch this awesome tribute and story about Xavier uploaded by the Gamecocks.

I was born just a few miles from Mullins, so I am very familiar with the area and have lots of relatives down that way.

Thanks for posting that.  Sounds like the type of player we want on the team.  Nice tribute and great info.
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-27-2024, 10:27 AM -
(04-26-2024, 09:51 PM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 07:50 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Like him or not, I don't care.  Watch this awesome tribute and story about Xavier uploaded by the Gamecocks.

Thanks for posting that.  Sounds like the type of player we want on the team.  Nice tribute and great info.

He really is a great person and a Team Player.  While he is as "country as they come", don't let that fool you.  He plays with the passion and physicality that will make him a star in the ensuing years.
Ladypanther

04-27-2024, 01:09 PM -
The Observer has a nice article about him today.  Talks about his parents who sounded like good hard working people. They seemed to have raised a good son.When XL made some money...what did he do?

This winter, when his career ended at South Carolina after a 71-catch, 1,255-yard redshirt senior season, Legette signed with the agency CAA, which came with a nice little check. People quickly knew about it. They found out because the entire Mullins High basketball team was sporting new LeBron shoes. And the track team had new gear. And the football team got new pads, dummies and a bunch of other practice equipment. “We hadn’t gotten any new stuff in the 11 years I’ve been there,” Mullins wide receivers coach Donald Brown said. “That’s the type of person he is.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports...rylink=cpy
This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 01:10 PM by Ladypanther. Edit Reason: typo
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,682 posts 494 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-27-2024, 02:23 PM -
(04-27-2024, 01:09 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: The Observer has a nice article about him today.  Talks about his parents who sounded like good hard working people. They seemed to have raised a good son.When XL made some money...what did he do?

This winter, when his career ended at South Carolina after a 71-catch, 1,255-yard redshirt senior season, Legette signed with the agency CAA, which came with a nice little check. People quickly knew about it. They found out because the entire Mullins High basketball team was sporting new LeBron shoes. And the track team had new gear. And the football team got new pads, dummies and a bunch of other practice equipment. “We hadn’t gotten any new stuff in the 11 years I’ve been there,” Mullins wide receivers coach Donald Brown said. “That’s the type of person he is.”

THAT is way cool.

Good on you, XL. 
Headbang Worship
Thumbsup Yourock
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

04-27-2024, 08:33 PM -
(04-27-2024, 01:09 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: The Observer has a nice article about him today.  Talks about his parents who sounded like good hard working people. They seemed to have raised a good son.When XL made some money...what did he do?

That is exactly the kind of guy he is.  SC Head Coach Shane Beamer literally "beamed" each time he mentioned Xavier's name.
Ladypanther

05-01-2024, 10:01 AM -
This is a good article...worth the click to read the entire thing.  This from the latter part of the article particularly stood out to me:

More than that, the underlying ethos of the Carolina Panthers is tailor made for someone like Xavier Legette. The team’s motto “Keep Pounding,” is a lesson in perseverance, in never quitting — no matter what cards life deals you. The phrase came about in 2004, when former player and Panthers legend Sam Mills was battling an aggressive form of intestinal cancer.

Given just a few months to live, Mills spoke to the Panthers in January — well past the prognosis given by doctors, and used his own battle as a way of motivating the team as they approached the playoffs. Referred to as “The Speech,” it lives in the annals of Carolina Panthers history.

“When I found out I had cancer, there were two things could do: quit or Keep Pounding,” Mills said, in the generally accepted summation of what was said that day. “I’m a fighter. I kept pounding. You’re fighters, too. Keep Pounding!”

It’s now a rallying cry for fighting. For never giving up. For staring adversity in the face and choosing not to get swallowed by it — just as Xavier Legette did after losing both his parents. Legette chose to not let his life, his talent, slip away. Now he plays in his parents’ memory, but also for those who picked him up and put him on the path to the NFL.

The first thing that grabs you when listening to Legette talk is his accent. The second is his relentless positivity. There’s a visceral magnetism when he speaks, and it’s impossible not to have a smile on your face after listening to him. This young man has dealt with so much in his life, and learned how to harness it towards become the best athlete he can be.

It’s impossible not to be a fan of Xavier Legette.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/4/30/2...-nfl-draft

Sounds like this you man and the Panthers are a perfect fit.

Also should mention his grandmother who is obviously an amazing woman!