Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-09-2024, 10:51 AM -
In an interesting development, Matt Corral leads the UFL's Birmingham Stallions to "shocking" UFL Conference Championship win.

The Stallions, at one point down by 15, come storming back to win 31-18. The Stallions are now on the doorstep of their third straight title.

Matt Corral leads Birmingham Stallions to Conference Championship win
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-09-2024, 03:36 PM -
Seems he found a rhythm and road the wave. While I think he has very little potential, some mind you, he would have only been the second best qb on last years team. I wish him success though.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-09-2024, 08:01 PM -
I watched that game yesterday and told my son about it yesterday evening.  He said, "Yeah, but he's playing against sub-NFL talent", to which I replied, Accuracy and arm strength have nothing to do with who you're playing against.

Matt Corral came in the game late (ala Jake Delhomme) when his team was losing badly and not only brought them to victory, but to a resounding win.  I was proud of the kid.  He looked great!~
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
06-10-2024, 06:32 AM -
Got to pull for the guy.  He definitely was in the wrong place at the wrong time when drafted by the Panthers.  He was obviously more of a project that the Panthers recognized and they did nothing but put him in a terrible situation.

I wish him nothing but the best.
PantherFan007
Administrator

06-10-2024, 02:43 PM -
Here are the highlights from Saturday's game.  Start it at 12:56 where Matt Corral comes in if you like (and throws in interception with his 2nd pass, but gets it right back and goes on to win).

This post was last modified: 06-10-2024, 02:45 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-11-2024, 02:49 PM -
I haven't watched enough USFL football. I am not familiar with all of their rules and situational stuff.  Still, Corral looked efficient and moved the ball well. The interception throw was a little behind the receiver, but he got his hands on the ball and couldn't control it. Ball deflected, popped up, and defender was there to snag it. Ball definitely could have been placed better, but receiver has to be able to handle passes like that.

Otherwise, Corral looked pretty good.  Sure wish I knew what his problem was when he left the Panthers and then walked away from the Patriots. According to Belichick it was "a personal matter".

For those who don't remember, Corral was drafted in the 3rd round by Carolina in 2022. After suffering a Lisfranc injury in his rookie year, he was waived and was picked up by the Patriots. He is only 25 years old...
PantherFan007
Administrator

06-12-2024, 05:51 AM -
(06-11-2024, 02:49 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: I haven't watched enough USFL football. I am not familiar with all of their rules and situational stuff.  Still, Corral looked efficient and moved the ball well. The interception throw was a little behind the receiver, but he got his hands on the ball and couldn't control it. Ball deflected, popped up, and defender was there to snag it. Ball definitely could have been placed better, but receiver has to be able to handle passes like that.

Otherwise, Corral looked pretty good.  Sure wish I knew what his problem was when he left the Panthers and then walked away from the Patriots. According to Belichick it was "a personal matter".

For those who don't remember, Corral was drafted in the 3rd round by Carolina in 2022. After suffering a Lisfranc injury in his rookie year, he was waived and was picked up by the Patriots. He is only 25 years old...

I actually enjoyed watching the game more than I had thought.  It wasn't the first game I have watched, but it was a great game overall.

There were some differences from the NFL, though, and one of the biggest differences is extra points after scoring a touchdown.  They have three options for a 1 point, 2 point, or 3 point conversion. (A three point field goal is the same as in the NFL, however)

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/u...-much-more

Extra points

When teams score a touchdown in the USFL, they'll have the option to attempt a one-, two- or even three-point conversion. Teams will receive:

- One point for a kick made with the ball snapped from the 15-yard line
- Two points for a scrimmage play from the two-yard line that successfully crosses the goal line
- Three points for a scrimmage play from the 10-yard line that successfully crosses the goal line

As a result, a team trailing by nine points can still tie the game with a touchdown (and a three-point conversion), while an 18-point lead is still a two-possession game.

Onside kicks

Teams will have two options to retain possession after scoring. The first option will be a traditional/NFL onside kick attempt from the 25-yard line.

The second will be running a 4th-and-12 play from their own 33-yard line. If the team makes a first down, fantastic — it retains possession from that spot. If the team attempting the "onside" fails, however, the defense gets the ball wherever the offense is downed.

Overtime

Overtime will be a shootout in which each team's offense will alternate plays against the opposing defense from the two-yard line. Each team will run a total of three plays, and each successful scoring attempt will receive two points. The team with the most points after each team has run its three plays wins.

If the score is tied after each team runs three plays, the subsequent attempts become sudden death until a winner is declared.

Two forward passes

Offenses will be allowed to throw two forward passes behind the line of scrimmage, expanding teams' playbooks while adding even more excitement and trick-play potential to games.

Instant replay: Each coach will be allowed one replay challenge. Replay Command at FOX Sports Control Center in Los Angeles will make all replay decisions, meaning that one replay crew will make all the decisions. This will ensure accurate, consistent, and faster rulings.

USFL Replay Command will have the authority to overrule incorrect personal foul calls, including roughing the passer, hits on defenseless players, face-mask penalties, horse-collars, and more. USFL Replay Command will also be responsible for determining whether the act of pass interference is obviously intentional when it occurs 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage (see below).

Defensive pass interference: The penalty for defensive pass interference will mirror the NCAA rule, with exceptions. Defensive pass interference will be a spot foul if it occurs less than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, but it is a 15-yard penalty if the spot of the foul is beyond 15 yards. The goal is to decrease the punitive nature of defensive pass interference penalties.

However, a defender intentionally tackling a receiver beyond 15 yards past the line of scrimmage would be a spot foul.

Offensive pass interference: If a pass does not cross the line of scrimmage, there can be no penalty for either offensive pass interference or ineligible player downfield. This rule change opens up the offense without undermining defense and forgoes punishment for infractions unrelated to the play

Kickoffs: All kickoffs will be from the 25-yard line. No kicking team member may line up any further back than one yard, while the receiving team must have a minimum of eight players in the set-up zone between their 35- and 45-yard lines. After a kickoff travels 20 yards, the first touch must be by the receiving team. If an untouched kick becomes dead, the ball belongs to the receiving team at that spot.
This post was last modified: 06-12-2024, 05:53 AM by PantherFan007.
PantherFan007
Administrator

06-12-2024, 06:03 AM -
Also, that page I linked above has some conflicting information from what they said during the game. The announcer said, "There are no extra point kicks in the UFL, there are only 1 point, 2 point, or 3 point conversions". Again, the field goal try is the same as the NFL, just no kicks for extra points after scoring a touchdown.

Oh yeah, another interesting difference is that there can be two forward passes as long as they stay behind the line of scrimmage. IE; the quarterback can forward pass it to a receiver (doesn't have to be a backward pass), and the receiver can throw run with it or throw it to another player downfield as long as he hasn't crossed the LOS.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-12-2024, 08:08 AM -
Hmmm....There are some significant differences.

I like the replay stuff. No reason not to replay penalties automatically, especially 15 yd penalties. I also think non-calls should be reviewable if a team challenges. (Subject to a maximum number of course.....maybe two challenges for non-calls in addition to regular challenges..??).

Some other interesting "rules" here too.

Cool
This post was last modified: 06-12-2024, 02:00 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

06-12-2024, 01:21 PM -
(06-12-2024, 08:08 AM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Hmmm....There are some significant differences.

I like the replay stuff. No reason not to replay penalties automatically, especially 15 yd penalties. I also think non-calls should be reviewable if a team challenges. (Subject to a maximum number of course..maybe two challenges for non-calls in addition to regular challenges..??).

Some other interesting "rules" here too.

Cool

Not sure if you noticed it during the game, but viewers get to see the booth live view with audio during reviews of plays and during challenges.