Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-15-2022, 05:56 PM -
.... for quarterback Backer Mayfield.  

I'm so sick of this topic, almost as sick as I was of the Deshaun Watson trade talk.  Personally, I'm not convinced Mayfield is any better than Darnold, of whom I am not so fond. 

LINK HERE

The 2022 NFL season is less than three months away, and it's still unclear where former No. 1 overall draft pick Baker Mayfield will play. But if it were up to the Panthers, the disgruntled Browns quarterback might already be in Carolina. As minicamps kick off around the league this week, the Browns and Panthers remain in talks regarding a potential Mayfield trade, CBS Sports NFL insider Jonathan Jones reported Tuesday, and Carolina in particular has "urgency" to finalize a deal.

"The main issue remains Mayfield's salary and how much or how little (the) teams (will) pay," Jones wrote. "There's urgency on Carolina's side to execute the deal soon so Mayfield can get some time in minicamp with the Panthers. For the Browns, it's the best offer they have. Talks (are) ongoing."

This has been the same story since prior to April's 2022 draft, when the Panthers were identified as front-runners to land Mayfield but proceeded to spend a third-round pick on Mississippi QB Matt Corral. Mayfield, whose split from Cleveland has been forecast since the Browns' aggressive pursuit and acquisition of ex-Texans QB Deshaun Watson, is due $18.85 million on the final year of his rookie contract. The Panthers' prior talks with Cleveland stalled because Carolina reportedly wanted the Browns to absorb the majority of that salary as part of a trade. The Browns have also declined to outright release Mayfield up to this point in an effort to avoid paying the QB's full salary, even though the team has already replaced both he and his backup for 2022.

Panthers owner David Tepper may be desperate for more help under center, but he will not pay all of Mayfield's $18.85M salary in 2022, according to Jones. Because he's already paying the same amount to Jets castoff Sam Darnold, their latest gamble at QB, it's possible he wouldn't even be willing to absorb half of Mayfield's 2022 payout, Jones speculates.

One thing that could help facilitate a trade is Mayfield agreeing to a pay cut, a move former Panthers starter Teddy Bridgewater deployed to land with the Broncos prior to the 2021 season. At this point, however, there's been no indication that Mayfield is prepared to do so, having publicly and privately critiqued Cleveland's handling of the QB situation this offseason. As the season draws closer, it's perhaps more likely one of the three parties -- the Browns, Panthers or Mayfield -- will compromise.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-15-2022, 08:59 PM -
Yeah.....maybe.

This particular rumor has been ongoing for the last four or five days. I've been ignoring it for the most part. In addition to the fact that there is nothing new here, I seriously question these "rumor mill" style articles because nothing is "attributable".  Would the Panthers 'look' at Mayfield at this point.??  Maybe.... depends on the deal. Same thing can be said about Jimmy Garoppolo.... Maybe.

These articles all 'say' the same things. The Panthers have some "urgency" because they want the new QB acquisition to "have some time in minicamp with the team.."  OH REALLY.??  I wonder if all these "fly-on-the-wall" prognosticators realize that summer camps end TOMORROW.!!  Could it happen.??  Sure...maybe.  AND...maybe not, also.

Who is this Jonathon Jones character.?? A personal "friend" of Rhule or Tepper or Fitterer.?? I seriously doubt he has any more insight (or 'inside' information..) than anyone else does. The truth is this has been floating around for days.  The different sites are just plagiarising from each other and republishing the same old crap over and over.

PANTHERS WIRE:  Panthers--Browns...Mayfield

FANSIDED: Panthers "Urgency"

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED:  Panthers/Browns Ongoing

Over and Over and OVER --- It's all the same crap.  Nothing new here. It's all just a bunch of "click bait."  Fbmad

OK--- I'm done now. Joker  Say... How is everyone doing.?? Y'all feeling' it yet.?? Football-- It's in the air.!!   Uhh.... hmm... Maybe it's not in the air.  just that idiot 'crystal ball guesser' sitting over in the corner lighting farts.
This post was last modified: 06-15-2022, 09:01 PM by Hobbit99.
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-16-2022, 01:48 PM -
I have honestly been done with this topic for a while. It’s just MEH. To me. It’s kind of sad cause I have a general apathy towards Carolina right now. I don’t feel like there’s a real effort being put in to build a team. I guess it’s kind of bah humbug for me.
This post was last modified: 06-16-2022, 01:49 PM by BlackCatzFan. Edit Reason: Stupid autocorrect.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-16-2022, 07:26 PM -
(06-16-2022, 01:48 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: I have honestly been done with this topic for a while.  It’s just MEH. To me.  It’s kind of sad cause I have a general apathy towards Carolina right now.  I don’t feel like there’s a real effort being put in to build a team.  I guess it’s kind of bah humbug for me.

Hey BCF...
   I too am DONE with this. The constant roiling of the waters. The constant stirring of the s*it, trying to see if its possible to make it stink any worse. There are a very few "reporters" who have an inside track....two, maybe three. That's all. And this guy ain't one of them.!!

However, I am not apathetic. I still love my Panthers....and continue to hold out hope for them every game. Also, I think Fitterer and the supporting scouts are doing a VERY good job. Overall, the roster building has been stalled a little, but I blame that on the GIANT handcuff that Tepper placed on Scott. You can't hire a GM then handcuff him to a Coach who has 'final say'.  Makes no sense.....
This post was last modified: 06-17-2022, 03:20 AM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-17-2022, 03:20 AM -
Latest "Rumor Central" has the Bucs looking at Mayfield as a veteran presence behind Brady....

See separate thread on Bucs--Browns & Mayfield..
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-17-2022, 03:24 PM -
https://catcrave.com/2022/06/17/skip-bay...trade/amp/

Skip Bayless called Carolina a “clown show” because of the owner and coach. I have to say I’m not surprised. Fwiw, I’m not a Skip fan at all, but I’m finding it hard to disagree.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
06-17-2022, 05:59 PM -
I don't want him here (nor does Robby Anderson). Whistling
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-18-2022, 02:14 AM -
(06-17-2022, 05:59 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I don't want him here (nor does Robby Anderson).  Whistling

Me neither.....However, I would take Mayfield if it meant we didn't have to suffer any more of Skip Bayless.!!  Angry1  That is one donkey-kong individual. You could put all of his grace in a thimble and still have room for your finger...
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

06-18-2022, 05:04 AM -
MORE  SCUTTLEBUTT  ABOUT  BROWNS-PANTHERS-MAYFIELD

Well, you had to know that more of this crap would be coming. The latest of this steaming pile of 'horse exhaust' has been uttered by another fine upstanding example of journalistic integrity.....named Albert Breer. Who is Albert Breer, you ask.?? Well, I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine. Apparently, he is .... "MMQB Senior NFL Reporter" (...???..) who appeared on The Rich Eisen Show. So, there you have it. Now you know.....

Anyway, Albert Breer claims that his 'source' is indicating that the Browns "...may be willing to give Carolina half of Mayfield's money."  So now, Panthers Wire is quoting a sound bite from Albert Breer through The Rich Eisen Show about something that 'might' happen between the Browns and the Panthers over an underperforming QB named Baker Mayfield.

Yep, that sounds about right.....

So here is the link to that story as posted by Panthers Wire:  Browns--Panthers--Mayfield

Please understand this... I am NOT saying that the Panthers will or will not do a "deal" for Mayfield. I don't have enough confidence in Rhule to make that decision either way. It COULD happen. The only thing I am certain of is... I DON'T KNOW. And neither do any of these bombastic jerks who love to expound and 'hold forth' with long-winded diatribes, all in a vain attempt to hear their own head rattle.

OK. That's all for now.  More coming soon. (You can put money on that..).