FUN COMPARISONS AND DESCRIPTIVES IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE...
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

64 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,699 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-06-2022, 01:35 AM -
(11-05-2022, 11:14 PM)Josh21 Wrote: U got that girls # Hobbit?  

I still don’t understand popcorn fart?  Am I dense?

Nope... I knew when I was out of my league. That teenaged girl was definitely too "intense" for me.  That was just a 'big bag of trouble' sitting there waiting for a place to happen.  And I didn't want it "happening" all over me. 'My momma  didn't raise any stupid children all the way to adulthood.....  Nothing good could come from that situation.

Popcorn fart.....  Well, let me say right here that some of these idiomatic speech things are not meant to be completely understood.. They're mostly local sayings that have meaning to the person involved and maybe a group of their friends or maybe a small geographic region.  So, I don't admit to understanding them all. Some of them are just too 'obtuse' for my limited brain power. However.... If you really think or imagine the situation, you can usually figure out the little "nugget" of information that's buried in those sayings.

For example, we all know that a 'fart' is directly related to foods we eat. Easy enough so far. So think about a couple of bowls of good ol' chili spiced up with a good amount of Jalapeño pepper. Sometime later your tummy starts rumbling and somehow, you just know that you better hustle to the commode and you "better not sneeze." That there is a "wet" fart. Now if you've ever been out west in an Arizona sand storm, your hair, and eyes, and ears, and clothes all full of blowing sand. You're blowing your nose, and spitting sand and grit for a week.....well, THAT's "dry". Right.??. Now imagine a big ol' bowl of popcorn, fresh out of a 'popper', no cheese, no butter, no flavor additives, nothing at all added. Food stuff don't get much drier than that. So, I GUESS, if you had to pass a little gas right then, it would be sort of a really "dry", "squeaky" fart.  Not at all like the Jalapeño Chili fart. Completely different animal.  So, something that was "Drier than a popcorn fart" would be like really, REALLY dry.!!!

THAT is my guess about a "popcorn fart". I'm sure there are some folks who could probably tell you exactly how that saying came to be. Sadly, I'm not one of those people.  So, at least some of these sayings are meant to provoke a little 'thought' or 'wonder' I guess. We may never really KNOW how they came to be, just that somewhere, sometime back, someone thought that particular few words described what they were thinking right then....

There are a LOT of descriptive sayings that I have avoided here so far. I don't know where they came from, but you can almost always imagine them and the meaning becomes VERY clear. I may post a few of them (just for clarity..).  Smile
This post was last modified: 11-06-2022, 07:43 AM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,158 posts 61 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-06-2022, 08:58 PM -
Here’s one for today, dumpster fire.  Easy to picture…
This post was last modified: 11-06-2022, 08:59 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-07-2022, 12:16 AM -
Yeah.... Dumpster Fire. That's another good one.

In pretty common use today. But I'm not sure how the analogy came to be applied to things that are 'going wrong'.  But.... we all know what it means. 

Headbang
Josh21
Posting Freak

11-07-2022, 12:33 AM -
Yup, bad.

Terrible smell, awful smoke, generally unpleasant.
This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 12:37 AM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-07-2022, 02:30 AM -
(11-06-2022, 08:58 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Here’s one for today, dumpster fire.  Easy to picture…

[quote="Josh21" pid='3655' dateline='1667799207']
Yup, bad.

Terrible smell, awful smoke, generally unpleasant.

Here is a GIF for a Dumpster Fire...!!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-11-2022, 03:19 AM -
As I mentioned up there ^^^, there are a bunch of idioms or sayings that are a bit "off-color" as they are invoked. I will pass on a few of them here for historical purposes.

"It was colder than a witch's tit in a hail-storm, in a cast-iron bra."

"It was raining so hard it was like a cow pissing on a flat rock."

And then there was the famous speech given by General Patton to Third Army before their trek across part of Europe. Patton was trying to describe how Third Army would deal with the opposing forces.

"We are going to go through them [the enemy] like crap through a goose.... like shit through a tin horn."

And then there is the more eloquent version ..... "like a dose of salts through a widow woman."

And finally one of my favorites describing a manic personality.

"He was so clumsy he looked like he was trying to jack-off a rattlesnake with boxing gloves on."
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-11-2022, 02:13 PM -
I've been collecting 'old sayings', idioms. expressions, adages, proverbs.... for many, MANY years. It started way back in High School when I had an English teacher who required us to 'stand and present' one every day at the start of class. And it better not be a duplicate either.!!  You learned in a hurry to monitor (remember..) previously used expressions, because she certainly did.!!  Over the years I have completely filled two spiral bound notebooks and have started on a third. It's not a big 'thing' these days, but I still write down the good ones as I come across them.

Recently, I've started to focus a little on "southern" sayings, so I think I will use some of those here (at least for a little while..). Here's a couple of good ones from one of the notebooks.

"That boy is as country as a baked bean sandwich."

"That boy is so country he thinks a 7-course meal is a roasted possum and a six-pack."
This post was last modified: 11-11-2022, 10:45 PM by Hobbit99.
Josh21
Posting Freak

11-11-2022, 10:05 PM -
Hopefully I can give u a new one or two. I’m old, but work with k-8th. Hear lingo, not many phrases, just words. Kinda sad.

Got one

“Jerk the tar outta u”

Bet u got it.

Would love to see those notebooks.

Got one

“Jerk the tar outta u”
This post was last modified: 11-11-2022, 10:16 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

11-11-2022, 10:41 PM -
(11-11-2022, 10:05 PM)Josh21 Wrote: Hopefully I can give u a new one or two.  I’m old, but work with k-8th.  Hear lingo, not many phrases, just words.  Kinda sad.

Got one

“Jerk the tar outta u”

Bet u got it.

Would love to see those notebooks.

Yep... That's a good one.  Sort of similar to the one up there ^^^ somewhere..... "I'm gonna jerk a knot in you."

I'll give you a little sample of some of the "early" ones.... These were back in the late 1960s-1970s... Most of them you probably have heard. Some of them are easily recognizable.

Such as:

"Silence is golden"
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"
"A stitch in time saves nine"
"Birds of a feather flock together"
"The early bird gets the worm"
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Then there are the ones a little more esoteric, a little more unusual.

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"
"Pride goeth before a fall"
"Don't cast your pearls before swine"
"Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and it irritates the pig."

And the occasional ODD one...

"One rat dropping spoils a pot of rice"

And the really profound ones...

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Josh21
Posting Freak

11-12-2022, 04:26 AM -
That last ones famous. Abe Lincoln?