CHANGES---COLLEGE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP FORMAT..
Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,699 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
09-02-2022, 05:32 PM -
News on the College Football Championship front.  The 'powers that be' have announced that the post-season playoffs and the format for the "Championship" are changing.  The 'Board of Managers' of the College Football Playoff system announced today that the format for post-season play has changed. Representatives from all 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame met and unanimously approved the changes.

Instead of a four team playoff as we know it, the format has changed to a 12 team playoff. The teams will be chosen by Conference Championships and overall ranking. The top four Conference Champions (highest rated..) will receive a 1st round bye. The teams ranked 5th through 12th will then enter the 1st round in a normal 'elimination' manner. (5th vs. 12th; 6th vs. 11th; 7th vs. 10th; 8th vs. 9th..).  The winners will then proceed to quarter-final and semi-final rounds to be played as part of the normal "Bowl Games" each year. The Championship game will be played at rotating venues.

USA TODAY SPORTS:  College Football Playoff Format Will Change..

I think we've been expecting this since all of the hullabaloo about "paying" college athletes has transpired.  Will this be 'good' for the game...??  Hmmm...I'm not certain..??
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,699 posts 497 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-02-2022, 07:29 PM -
Latest Update...

The changes to the CFP process as mentioned above (the timeline..) may change some..??  Originally scheduled to phase in for the 2026 season, the listed changes are now being said to be "possible" at an earlier date. How early is still not definite. IF a change of date occurs, the phase-in could occur as early as 2024.  Obviously, 2025 is also possible.

I can see this new process causing quite a stir if/when it comes to pass.  I think it will help get the most qualified teams on the field, heading toward a National Championship.  Of course, the "bowl" selection criteria would probably be affected as well.  I'm sure we will hear more about this process as the time counts down.

NCAA.COM:  CFP Process Changing...