THE CAROLINA PANTHERS 2022 STARTING QUARTERBACK OFFICIALLY IS.......
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-24-2022, 11:26 PM -
I didn’t want Mayfield. We got a deal on him. I like that. Can understand. Sam’s pushing 19 mil this season as a backup. Glad how our qb depth is! (Minus Coral to ir). Contracts be danged this year. Still under 40 for the year. Less than the elite qb’s. If baker doesn’t hit incentives we’re out 22.5 at most at qb. Cheap. For baker n Sam. If pj makes it it’s like 900,000.

I’d put pj on practice squad.
This post was last modified: 08-24-2022, 11:28 PM by Josh21.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-25-2022, 02:37 AM -
(08-24-2022, 11:26 PM)Josh21 Wrote: I didn’t want Mayfield.  We got a deal on him.  I like that.  Can understand.  Sam’s pushing 19 mil this season as a backup.  Glad how our qb depth is!  (Minus Coral to ir).  Contracts be danged this year.  Still under 40 for the year.  Less than the elite qb’s.  If baker doesn’t hit incentives we’re out 22.5 at most at qb.  Cheap.  For baker n Sam.  If pj makes it it’s like 900,000.

I’d put pj on practice squad.

Hey brother..!!  You tryin' to take over my 'favorite prognosticator' title aren't ya.!!

You hit this one right on the nose. Perfectly "on point".  And I think you've got it right too.  Did I say that you are correct.??  Yup... Pretty much believe you nailed it.!!

Seriously though, everything you mentioned makes perfect sense. Sam is a true gentleman. Much better man than I am (sadly... but I know me..). We'll have to see how it all works out. No matter what happens, I'll still root for the Panthers.

Oh, and about the PS.  I HOPE PJ goes to the PS. It'll mean one more spot on the roster for an O-lineman or a defender somewhere on the field....which we'll probably need.

Good job, Josh.... Most excellent.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-27-2022, 05:59 AM -
So, I said I REALLY like having Darnold as QB2. That sure didn't last long.

Hopefully not out too long. (I hope he's OK before we need a QB2)

Baker looked really good, though. Of course, it was against the Bill's backups so we are still in 'wait-and-see,' but there were several times that I felt he made plays where Sam would've folded.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-27-2022, 06:43 PM -
(08-27-2022, 05:59 AM)coffee Wrote: So, I said I REALLY like having Darnold as QB2.  That sure didn't last long.

Hopefully not out too long.  (I hope he's OK before we need a QB2)

Baker looked really good, though.  Of course, it was against the Bill's backups so we are still in 'wait-and-see,' but there were several times that I felt he made plays where Sam would've folded.

I did, too, until he (quickly) reminded us of why we brought in Baker Mayfield.  But, he did good n that one play where he scrambled for the TD.   And Steve Smith hit it on the head when he talked about Darnold being indecisive when doing his checkdowns.  He takes too long, and when he finally gets it out of his hands, as Smitty said, "That just ain't going to cut it".

That said, I hate that he was injured and wish him a quick and full recovery.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-28-2022, 01:01 PM -
Yeah, I kinda felt it was that Rhule beat it into his head so much to play it safe and use the checkdown. He's scared to trust himself if the receiver isn't wide open. So, when CMC isn't there and there isn't that reliable checkdown, he just panics.