Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-20-2023, 09:43 PM -
Thanks guys…. Lol
This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 09:43 PM by BlackCatzFan.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-21-2023, 12:24 AM -
I compared BY to Tua already, Good vid 007. Good debate BCF. Durability is my only concern. We’ve got a staff to coach a qb extremely well. Let’s see who we get!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,770 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
04-22-2023, 07:31 AM -
This size debate is really the only question about Young. His mental game is strong. His ability to understand or "process" information from what goes on around him is not in question. He can make the normal throws, no doubt. But we will have to wait and see about the rest of the "physical" stuff. He CAN move around a little. But let's be honest.... He is NOT a Michael Vick, or a Lamar Jackson or Justin Fields, or any other of the supposed "dual-threat" QBs in the league. He is just not big enough to take the punishment that it requires to run a 'designed' run play for a QB. He will take the snap. He will hand the ball off. He will do 'play action'. He will 'roll-out'. He will throw the ball in throwing lanes where possible.  He will NOT be carrying the rock on 4th and two (most of the time). He won't be running up the gut or off-tackle on goal-line power. He will have to use "finesse" instead.

In retrospect, Young reminds me a LOT of another QB. One who gave the Panthers fits at times, and a lot of other teams as well. Who is 'that guy'.??  Well... Glad you asked.  Young reminds me a LOT of Russel Wilson. But, saying that, Wilson is still a little bit taller and quite a bit heavier. Wilson turned out to be a bit of a "tough-guy" too. AND, in addition, Russell Wilson is (probably) the best QB I have ever seen at throwing on the run (IMHO..).

The only thing left to say is... "I am not a fan of small QBs." The field-general. game-manager, type of QB of diminutive stature is NOT my cup of tea. There is a reason that VERY few QBs under 6 ft. get drafted. So.... as a 'quick look', let's review....

In the "modern era", since the AFL and NFL merged; sort of like the "Super Bowl" era, there have been only three (3) QBs drafted in the 1st round who were 6 ft. tall or shorter. There have been a total of seven (7) QBs drafted in rounds 1-3.. There have been a total of thirty (30) QBs drafted overall in that size range.  So, it breaks out like this....

SINCE 1970.....
  • 522 total QBs drafted -- 30 QBs 6 ft. or shorter.  (5.7%)
  • 241 QBs in 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds -- 7 QBs 6 ft. or shorter.  (2.9%)
  • 127 QBs in 1st round -- 3 QBs 6 ft. or shorter.  (2.4%)

And for clarity, the three (3) 1st Round QBs since 1970 are.... (drum roll please..)... Michael Vick; Kyler Murray; and Johnny Manziel.

So.....  There is a reason that short, small stature QBs do not do well in the NFL.  It is VERY difficult for them to perform at an elite level in a world dominated by giants.
This post was last modified: 04-23-2023, 08:46 AM by Hobbit99.