Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

19 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 08:10 PM -
(01-25-2024, 07:07 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: Like most so far my thoughts are mixed.

First of all I am hoping for the best.  If Evero stays the defense is good. If Canales is the real deal the Panthers could have a dynamic group of talented  young men running things.

My concerns...as has been mentioned numerous times, he has been a coordinator for only 1 year.  Before Tampa, he was with the same team for 13 years. Just wondering why Seattle did not give him any consideration?  That is curious to me.  Also, the Panthers were the only team that gave him an interview. ??

Positives...both Geno Smith and Baker had career years with him.  Geno won comeback player of the year.  Russell Wilson has not looked the same since he left Seattle,

Dan knows him very well. Here's hoping Dan's assessment of him is right.

In Seattle he has coached both receivers and QB's.

I have to say, in the playoffs Baker did not look like the same QB we had in Carolina.

I would think Evero and Tabor stay.  Canales can focus on his offensive staff.  Hope it is a good one.

Rumors seem to be that "many" of the HC candidates do NOT want to come to Carolina, period.  So yeah, if we take a gamble on this guy, it seems like a good risk.  They could have taken Raheem Morris, but the Falcons have hired him.

Also, when he coached Geno Smith, Smith was the "Comeback Player of the Year". He coached Baker Mayfield for one season, and Mayfield was selected this week as "Comeback Player of the Year". Just saying.
This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 08:12 PM by PantherFan007.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 08:35 PM -
It’s official. Announced by the Panthers.

What I don’t like::As with Morgan, Canales will report directly to owner David Tepper
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-25-2024, 08:44 PM -
(01-25-2024, 08:35 PM)Firstchance Wrote: It’s official. Announced by the Panthers.

What I don’t like::As with Morgan, Canales will report directly to owner David Tepper

Wow...that sucks (reporting to Tepper).  He has learned NOTHING! So much for that consulting firm that was supposed to help him reorganize.
Firstchance

716 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-25-2024, 08:56 PM -
The instability of Tepper will haunt this franchise forever. Yes, I said it.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-26-2024, 06:40 AM -
(01-25-2024, 08:56 PM)Firstchance Wrote: The instability of Tepper will haunt this franchise forever. Yes, I said it.

Forever is a long, long time...... Tongue

[Image: 360_F_621069948_3eIIh0trFWbkQkaxIxMGG4mzbzXtsmNh.jpg]

Joker
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
01-26-2024, 08:13 AM -
One positive...Canales is nice looking and has good grooming skills.  I was tired of looking at those guys who looked scruffy and unkempt.

Some good info here: https://www.panthers.com/news/5-things-t...ve-canales.

I know it's team PR but I like feeling positive while I can.

He specializes in QB resurrections
Three times, he led quarterbacks to the best seasons of their respective careers. Canales was the passing game coordinator in Seattle when Russell Wilson had his best year for completion percentage (68.8) and touchdowns (40) in 2020. That season, Wilson also posted his second-best yardage total (4,212) and third-best completion passer rating (105.1). He was the wide receivers coach the year Wilson threw for his most yardage (4,219) in 2016. Canales was serving as quarterbacks coach in 2018 when Wilson posted his best passer rating overall (110.9) and again in 2022 when Geno Smith went through a resurgence.

That 2022 season saw Smith post his best yardage total (4,282), completion percentage (69.8, which led the NFL), passing touchdowns (30), passer rating (100.9), and rushing yardage (366). Smith won Comeback Player of the Year that season.

Canales then went to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he led Baker Mayfield to his best yardage total (4,044), completion percentage (64.3), passing touchdowns (28), and second-best passer rating (94.6), and second-best rushing yardage in his career.

The 42-year-old was either the passing game coordinator or quarterbacks coach for four of Russell Wilson's Pro Bowls, one of Smith's, and the aforementioned Comeback Player award for Smith. The latter is also something Mayfield has been in consideration for this season.

His offensive play calling is cerebral
As Orr outlined in his profile of Canales, his offensive scheme is an assortment of many schemes, never leaning on one identity too much. Instead, the play-caller likes to rely on the mental side of the game to give his players a more significant advantage. His receivers aren't put into a box labeled slot or outside. Instead, they learn and run the whole route tree.

Evans, who had the second-best season of his career in 2023, flourished with Mayfield and under Canales. The future Hall-of-Famer tweaked his game under Canales' instruction, using his eyes more to move defenders, even in the middle of a route. It's a tactic that play-callers can employ to level the playing field and give an even more significant advantage when equipped with the physical talent available in the NFL.
This post was last modified: 01-26-2024, 08:47 AM by Ladypanther.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-26-2024, 09:23 PM -
It looks good. Not great. First time doing these jobs. Hope it plays out well. I mean, let Morgan pick a few wr that play like he did. Nasty, instincts, tough.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-27-2024, 01:19 AM -
Keep Eviro!
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,769 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
01-27-2024, 05:06 PM -
Okay -- So it's now a 'done deal'. Lots of questions to be answered. I'm scared to think what this team's staff is going to look like come 'Draft' and OTA's. The "young and inexperienced" leading the "inexperienced and ineffectual".  Sort of reminds me of the proverbial "blind leading the blind".

Of course, I don't know that to be true. Maybe Canales will attract a bunch of 'experienced' coaches..... Rolleyes
Joker
This post was last modified: 01-29-2024, 04:03 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
OceanPanther

108 posts 12 threads Joined: Mar 2020
01-29-2024, 01:18 PM -
Ok, I'm back, I think lol.. Had to loan my laptop to my son, who contracted Covid, and had to work from home.. His Mac PC would doesn't coexist with the TV station he works for, so he had to borrow mine for a week.

What did I miss ? we hired new coach. Canales.. I was probably just acting OLD SCHOOL, because I wanted someone tried and tested that was available. I felt we are SOOO CLOSE to rock bottom, we couldn't afford another 3 more years with a new gun slinger coach should he not work out.
Not Frank Riech ,, but more the Grable or Harbaugh type.
Anyway, I'm happy with Canales. EXCITED HE'LL GET US TURNED AROUND.

Looking forward to see if there is any magic in the draft or trades before the draft to get us back to sea level.
I hear and read a lot about trading away players to get draft picks. Like Jaycee Hore, or Bryan Burns, and others. to get better picks in the draft. But an unknown player coming out of college is never a sure thing.

Personally I'd rather see us go the free agent route than the college draft ,, with Canales and Morgan making all the choices. Mostly Canales.

( i've not mentioned the owner being involved at all LOL )