Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
02-21-2024, 09:26 AM -
(02-21-2024, 12:15 AM)Josh21 Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 09:55 PM)Ladypanther Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 08:37 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I totally agree Hiobs. My concern is more him dragging rhis out and we can perform
Other needs because we have to have funds available for the tag and trade. Seems I read we have like 28 million, 22 for burns, a couple for the draft… doesn’t leave much for Luvu or others. I think we need to do this  quickly but Burns holds the cards. This stinks.

There will be some cuts and restructures to create some more cap.  

There is also this:

The Carolina Panthers and star edge-rusher Brian Burns "never got close" in previous contract negotiations, according to ESPN's David Newton.

Newton reported Burns was angling to get nearly $30 million annually during those discussions. That would put him near the top of the list of highest-paid edge defenders. The San Francisco 49ers' Nick Bosa leads the way at $34 million, and the Pittsburgh Steelers' T.J. Watt is next at $28 million.

"I feel like I earned that before this season,'' Burns said entering that group, per Newton. "Given our circumstances, it is what it is. But my feeling never changed from that point to now, because I put the work in for years prior to this."

The case with the two-time Pro Bowler is a little less straightforward, though.

Bosa was the reigning Defensive Player of the Year and led the NFL in sacks before signing his extension. Watt had 49.5 sacks and two All-Pro nods through his first four seasons before he penned his new deal. The Los Angeles Chargers' Joey Bosa and Cleveland Browns' Myles Garrett both reset the market in 2020 after having multiple seasons double-digit sacks.

Burns hasn't compiled the same kind of résumé so far.

Still, Spotrac valued him at $21.7 million per year, pointing to how his production hasn't matched that of the Bosas, Garrett and Watt before they signed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...ed-30m-aav

I am still hoping some team will be willing to trade something for him. They can easily blame bad Panther coaching for his lack of production.  Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. Dan is going to do what is best for this team.

After much thought that quote gets it.  Burns wants $.  After “slacking” last year “not wanting to get hurt”, he wants top $.  Not a 30 mil a year deal please.  Burns is good, not 30 mil a year good.  Sign back Luvu.  7.5 sacks, not the same $.  More energy.

Yea...I'll take Luvu any day.
Ladypanther

02-21-2024, 10:58 AM -
This according to Joe Person of The Athletic:

Negotiations with Burns reached an impasse before the 2023 season when the sides couldn’t agree on compensation. Coming off a 2022 season in which he finished with a career-high 12 1/2 sacks and made the Pro Bowl for a second consecutive year, Burns was looking to join the league’s highest-paid edge rushers. When Burns ended a two-day “hold in” before Week 1 last year, The Athletic reported he was seeking a deal with an annual average value of about $30 million. The Panthers were willing to go as high as five years at $27 million a year, according to a league source with knowledge of the contract talks. That AAV would have made Burns the league’s third-highest paid edge rusher alongside Joey Bosa ($27 million), behind only Nick Bosa ($34 million) and T.J. Watt ($28 million).

The Panthers could apply an exclusive tag on Burns to prohibit him from negotiating with other teams. But the more commonly used tag is the non-exclusive variety, which allows players to negotiate with other teams but gives the original team the ability to match an offer sheet or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

Burns fits all the criteria teams look for in free agency: age, athletic ability and all-around game,” Mueller wrote. “His production was limited somewhat by the Panthers’ scheme, but his suddenness and pass rush package should translate to higher-volume production. Offenses must have a plan to deal with his ability each week.” ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported at least five teams asked the Panthers about Burns’ availability before last year’s trade deadline. The list included the Jacksonville Jaguars, Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens. The Washington Commanders also inquired about Burns last fall, a league source told The Athletic. While it’s unlikely the Panthers would get anything closely approaching the Rams’ offer from 2022, one veteran front-office executive believes teams would be willing to give up one first-round pick in a package for Burns.

What would the Panthers’ pass rush look like without Burns?
Anemic and non-existent are two adjectives that come to mind.

It’s hard to envision Morgan, a former Panthers linebacker and first-round pick, letting a talented, young defensive player leave the organization, especially considering what the Panthers already passed up to keep Burns in the fold. It seems likely the Panthers will place the tag on Burns. The sides can then continue to talk to see if they can find a middle ground.

https://theathletic.com/5288729/2024/02/...ee-agency/

FFor my money if someone gives us a 1st and something else for Burns...take it.  Find a couple of less expensive but motivated dawgs to replace him then draft well!
This post was last modified: 02-21-2024, 06:06 PM by Ladypanther.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-21-2024, 12:52 PM -
(02-21-2024, 10:58 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: This according to Joe Person of The Athletic:

Negotiations with Burns reached an impasse before the 2023 season when the sides couldn’t agree on compensation. 

For my money if someone gives us a 1st and something else for Burns...take it.  Find a couple of less expensive but motivated dawgs to replace him then draft well!

Exactly...

I would think that we could get a 1st and a 2nd/3rd, plus maybe another roster guy. Should be the equivalent of two positions -- maybe.

But there is no way Burns deserves $27M per yr. Look at contracts down around #7,8,9,-10.  No higher than #7. Just not worth it. His on-field record is good. But just GOOD. Not great.!! Then add in last year's sandbag....SMDH.  If I was Morgan I would find a "buyer" and dump him like a hot potato.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-27-2024, 11:14 AM -
The more cynical I get I say let him walk. I like burns, but he’s only had ONE season with double digit sacks. ONE. UNO, that’s it. That’s not top 5 performance, not Top 5 money. Not top 5 anything.

Let him walk, take it on the chin. Use the cap money to spend elsewhere.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-27-2024, 06:49 PM -
(02-27-2024, 11:14 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: The more cynical I get I say let him walk.  I like burns, but he’s only had ONE season with double digit sacks. ONE.  UNO, that’s it.  That’s not top 5 performance, not Top 5 money. Not top 5 anything. 

Let him walk, take it on the chin.  Use the cap money to spend elsewhere.

I understand the sentiment.  And, I agree. COMPLETELY....

However, I don't think we need to let him walk. He's a commodity with value.  Let Morgan and Tillis work the situation. I think there will be several teams willing to work with the "TAG" and we recoup most (if not all) of the salary for this year as well as a couple of draft picks and maybe a player as well.  If we end up keeping him, it will be at the "TAG" value NOT Burns' ego-driven value.

Frankly, like you, I am pretty much done with Burns. I'm ambivalent about "how" it happens as long as we get positive value out of the situation.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
Ladypanther

02-27-2024, 07:16 PM -
(02-27-2024, 06:49 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 11:14 AM)BlackCatzFan Wrote: The more cynical I get I say let him walk.  I like burns, but he’s only had ONE season with double digit sacks. ONE.  UNO, that’s it.  That’s not top 5 performance, not Top 5 money. Not top 5 anything. 

Let him walk, take it on the chin.  Use the cap money to spend elsewhere.

I understand the sentiment.  And, I agree. COMPLETELY....

However, I don't think we need to let him walk. He's a commodity with value.  Let Morgan and Tillis work the situation. I think there will be several teams willing to work with the "TAG" and we recoup most (if not all) of the salary for this year as well as a couple of draft picks and maybe a player as well.  If we end up keeping him, it will be at the "TAG" value NOT Burns' ego-driven value.

Frankly, like you, I am pretty much done with Burns. I'm ambivalent about "how" it happens as long as we get positive value out of the situation.

Agree Hobs.