2021 vs 2020: Did We Improve the Roster?
Started by coffee

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-01-2021, 08:48 AM -
(08-01-2021, 08:11 AM)coffee Wrote: NFL Radio spoke again about TC and had some good and bad as expected.  Very high praise for the D.  I knew Horn had gotten his first INT.  I was hoping it was some magnificent play on his part but I think it was Darnold's growing pains.  They said the practice looked "disjointed."  They could see really good plays from Sam mixed with some that showed he still hasn't gotten all the nuances of our team/plays/etc.  I think that's pretty much expected at this point, but it put more in perspective some of the comments I've been hearing from Rhule. 

Coach says SD makes huge strides forward each time he's out there.  That's great, but also means he had (has?) huge strides to make.  Rhule also keeps stressing to SD that he doesn't have to take the team on his back like NY expected.  So, check down to CMC, throw it away, be willing to punt and live another day.  At least for now, apparently they want a game manager.  Sounds to me like tearing him down and rebuilding.  I'm sure he's still got the panicky "we're gonna lose" feeling left over from NY that makes him try to force it.  Seems smart.  If he becomes a game manager QB for one season, he'll start seeing the bigger opportunities more clearly.

Yeah, agreed.  If Sam Darnold will shake off the Jets entirely and focus of "KISS" (Keep it Stupid Simple), he can have much success here. I'm not sure if it's "Good for our D" or "Bad for Darnold" that he threw two interceptions at practice that day.  That had been the knock on him moreso than anything else.  

If Darnold has success here, Rhule will look like a genius, but if he fails, the Talking Heads will rip him to pieces for not drafting one of the very talented quarterbacks still available.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-01-2021, 05:01 PM -
K, I’ll try d. The most improved position is corner. D jack, bouye, Melvin, horn, n 2,3 guys may help. Taylor, pride, sto, n others better play well to make it. Few spots left. S…chin at ss. Got Burris, hartsfield, Sam Franklin competing for fs/bu. Don’t know any threats, maybe a cb.

Lb is thin. Shaq, jabril, n perryman, everybody else edge rushers. Add sneeze.!

The dL is a ok. Burns, gross mayos, fox, redick. Jones, brown, Roy n 2 rooks! May be our best unit on d. Will help the db’s.

(08-01-2021, 05:01 PM)Josh21 Wrote: K, I’ll try d.  The most improved position is corner.  D jack, bouye, Melvin, horn, n 2,3 guys may help.  Taylor, pride, sto, n others better play well to make it.  Few spots left.  S…chin at ss.  Got Burris, hartsfield, Sam Franklin competing for fs/bu.  Don’t know any threats, maybe a cb.

Lb is thin.  Shaq, jabril, n perryman, everybody else edge rushers.  Add sneeze.!

The dL is a ok.  Burns, gross mayos, fox, redick.  Jones, brown, Roy n 2 rooks!  May be our best unit on d.  Will help the db’s.  

cb n dl.  seems stacked.  Lb n s has 2/3 good prospects.  Might need to add one apiece.  Overall looks better, especially cb.
This post was last modified: 08-01-2021, 05:16 PM by Josh21.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,194 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-02-2021, 09:25 PM -
I’m bad at technology.

I’d think our big cb pick (Taylor) could play s. Could surprise with length n instincts. 6’3 or close, or not. Hope at least a good try!
This post was last modified: 08-02-2021, 09:33 PM by Josh21.
coffee

238 posts 24 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-03-2021, 09:08 AM -
Thanks, Josh.

Have to say I'm excited about the trickle down effect of our defensive additions.

Last year, our CB position was so depleted and weak, especially with Donte Jackson out or hurting. So, it's not just getting Horn AND Donte back. It's that it fixes the whole scheme. We are no longer stuck having to play zone and using all our timeouts for prayer sessions. Then you've got another trickle effect that keeps LB strong while moving Chinn backwards to safety (primarily). And the other ripple effect of what Burns will do with a serious threat on the other side that has to be accounted for.

It's fun to think of the defensive gameplan that we HAD to use in our last ATL game, and compare that to what we would've been able to do with this D. Looking at the matchups, it goes from "We've got no chance" to "We've really got this covered!"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,158 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
08-03-2021, 03:42 PM -
Last week I was watching the video of Matt Rhule discussing going back in pads this week and I thought, "Uh-oh, here come the TC injuries", and just like that, day one, one player with a concussion and another kicked off the team.