BAKER MAYFIELD INDICATED TO PRESS: "I don't care what the fans think...."
Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15 posts in this topic
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-04-2022, 06:48 PM -
I get the experience part. With that said, I would prefer a younger coach who has had the nfl, not college experience, even if not in the head role. Did you guys realize that Madden became “head” coach at the age of 32 and Shula at 33!

I think the game has evolved that a younger, yet very knowledgeable, coach relates better to today player in general. That however, wouldn’t disqualify at 60 year old who could manage younger coordinators… just keep the college guys in college, please.

(10-04-2022, 06:48 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I get the experience part. With that said, I would prefer a younger coach who has had the nfl, not college experience, even if not in the head role. Did you guys realize that Madden became “head” coach at the age of 32 and Shula at 33!

I think the game has evolved that a younger, yet very knowledgeable, coach relates better to today player in general. That however, wouldn’t disqualify at 60 year old who could manage younger coordinators… just keep the college guys in college, please.

And I’m older than dirt by the way.
This post was last modified: 10-04-2022, 06:49 PM by Firstchance.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-05-2022, 01:28 AM -
(10-04-2022, 06:48 PM)Firstchance Wrote: I get the experience part. With that said, I would prefer a younger coach who has had the nfl, not college experience, even if not in the head role. Did you guys realize that Madden became “head” coach at the age of 32 and Shula at 33!

And I’m older than dirt by the way.

Valid points, all, First...  Well, except your degree of "oldness". That's open for discussion.!! Joker

My comment about "experience" does not disqualify a younger coach, as you obviously understand. However, I am not certain how a "young" coach could possibly have any 'significant' NFL experience without first having college experience. Almost ALL (perhaps ALL..) NFL coaches started first as college coaches. There may be a couple somewhere that started as an "understudy", "work-study", or "intern".... but I can't name any right now. Especially any successful coaches.!!

So any successful coaching candidate for the Panthers, I would want to see ten years of increasing coaching responsibility with a significant portion of that being in the NFL.  I can't see a 30 Y.O. "coach" meeting that standard, unless he started as an "intern" with a NFL franchise as soon as he graduated from college..... OR perhaps a player who was forced to retire very early and immediately took up coaching.?? Maybe..??
This post was last modified: 10-05-2022, 01:31 AM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-06-2022, 12:05 PM -
I am (as stated on another post) on the NO COLLEGE COACHES!!! Bandwagon.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-06-2022, 01:41 PM -
(10-06-2022, 12:05 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I am (as stated on another post) on the NO COLLEGE COACHES!!! Bandwagon.

AGREED....

However, my point, however poorly I may have explained it, is that ALL NFL coaches are "college coaches".  You can't eliminate a coach from contention just because he was a "college coach".  They all start somewhere. And that "somewhere" is 'college.'  There may be a coach out there somewhere who wasn't a "college coach" ......  Maybe..??  But I don't know who it would be.

So, the discriminators that must be used are  "years of experience", "years of NFL experience", and "recency of NFL experience". All of this is obviously 'IMHO', of course, and represents only my particular 'bias' with respect to coaches in the NFL.   Tongue  (How was THAT for a 'tap-dance' around the subject...???)  Big Grin
This post was last modified: 10-06-2022, 01:43 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
10-07-2022, 07:33 AM -
(10-06-2022, 01:41 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 12:05 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: I am (as stated on another post) on the NO COLLEGE COACHES!!! Bandwagon.

AGREED....

However, my point, however poorly I may have explained it, is that ALL NFL coaches are "college coaches".  You can't eliminate a coach from contention just because he was a "college coach".  They all start somewhere. And that "somewhere" is 'college.'  There may be a coach out there somewhere who wasn't a "college coach" ......  Maybe..??  But I don't know who it would be.

So, the discriminators that must be used are  "years of experience", "years of NFL experience", and "recency of NFL experience". All of this is obviously 'IMHO', of course, and represents only my particular 'bias' with respect to coaches in the NFL.   Tongue  (How was THAT for a 'tap-dance' around the subject...???)  Big Grin

Okay, allow me to oversimplify.  "NO STRAIGHT FROM COLLEGE COACHES".   Que?   Tongue Big Grin
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

10-07-2022, 12:30 PM -
(10-07-2022, 07:33 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 01:41 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote:

AGREED....

Okay, allow me to oversimplify.  "NO STRAIGHT FROM COLLEGE COACHES".   Que?   Tongue Big Grin

¿Simplificar demasiado?  ¿En serio?  OK -- Bueno..... Pero, ¿Cual es su "Que"?
Joker