Started by Firstchance

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

80 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,764 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
11-04-2023, 05:20 PM -
It is difficult to quantify this whole QB discussion.  The reality is, as OP mentioned, the QBs are judged by their team records, their "results", NOT by the personnel surrounding them. So the judgement, fair or not, is passed and the QB is forever "praised" or "tainted" by how their team performed. If we go back one year to the 2022 draft, Kenny Pickens was deemed to be the most "NFL ready" of the available QBs. Drafted in the 1st Rd. at #20 he started for the Steelers last year (and this year). In 25 games played, Pickett has started 20....and has done "OK" for the most part. At least well enough to retain the "starter" designation. Meanwhile Malik Willis, a higher"upside" pick and the #1 VALUE pick in the QB draft (according to CBS Sports..), has done nothing, literally. Drafted in the 3rd Rd. at #85 (#86..??-- somewhere in there) by Tennessee, Willis played a few games last year and completed about 50% of his passes and a few INTs with NO TDs. Now, Willis who was #2 behind Tannehill has now slipped to #3 behind Will Levis, a rookie from this years draft.

Meanwhile, Sam Howell, drafted in the 5th Rd. last year at #144 was not believed to be ready and had a much lower "upside", is now starting for Washington. Desmond Ritter, drafted by the Falcons in the 3rd Rd., has started 12 games (4 last year; 8 this year) and has a record of 6-6. He is completing about 65% of his passes, 8 TDs, 6 INTs, 2400+ yds -- Yet everyone thinks Desmond Ritter is "TRASH".  Matt Corral (3rd Rd, #94 by the Panthers) has completely disappeared after getting injured early and then "shuffled" off to die an ignominious death. Bailey Zappe, a 4th Rd. #137 by the Patriots has been cut along with Malik Cunningham and is now languishing in the DEEP backup ranks. Chris Oladokun and Skylar Thompson, both drafted in the 7th Rd. have done basically nothing as expected, although Thompson did play in 7 games last year. He has not played at all this year. Oladokun has not played a snap since he was drafted.

That leaves the very last player drafted last year. At #262 in the 7th Rd. --- Brock Purdy --- After being passed over by all 32 teams 7 times, plus all of the 'compensatory' picks, Purdy was picked up as an afterthought by the 49ers. Everyone laughed at "Mr Irrelevant" saying he would never replace Trey Lance. And yet --- here we are today, with Brock Purdy, from the absolute bottom of the draft barrel, starting for the 49ers and (arguably) having the most success of all of the group.

What does all of this mean.??  Nothing really. And THAT is the point. There is no way to predict how any QB is going to perform in the NFL by looking at their college success. Everything is completely dependent on which TEAM drafts them. Sort of ... "the luck of the draw.." Sure, coaches make a difference. So do "schemes" and support roles and "position" players. A good team with good coaches and a good supporting cast can re-make a "nothing" college talent into a successful player.  Just like a "good" player can easily fail if the team "fit" is not right.

Stroud and Levis were my two favorite QBs in the draft. I'm on the record here. I also thought Richardson had the absolute most "upside" of all of them. I may not be 'right', but that doesn't mean I am wrong. Given a different set of circumstances with any of these guys, who knows what would happen.??  Just ask Brock Purdy.....
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"