Started by PantherFan007

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2024, 08:04 AM -
Not sure if this is really "news" or "make something out of nothing news".  Either way, the Panthers have stated they have ceased contract talks with Brian Burns "at this time". 

Does that mean they have reach an agreement?  I don't think so.

Are they just settling with putting the Franchise Tag on him?

Will they trade him if they do tag him or try to continue with a long-term contract?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootbal...rian-burns

The Panthers have reportedly put a pin in extension talks with edge rusher Brian Burns.

Josina Anderson of CBS Sports reports that the team is no longer talking to Burns about a long-term deal. The decision to put an end to those conversations reportedly came at the Scouting Combine last week.

The Panthers picked up Burns’ fifth-year option in 2023 and they could still use the franchise tag ahead of Tuesday’s deadline. Burns would be in line for a salary of $24 million in 2024 if he played under the tag and the Panthers would have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term deal with him.

The Panthers could also trade Burns after tagging him, although they reportedly passed on an opportunity to swap him for two first-round picks in 2022. Saying no at that point suggested the Panthers were confident about signing Burns to a long-term deal, but things played out differently in Carolina.
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 06:02 PM by PantherFan007.
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-04-2024, 10:40 AM -
...........[Dan] Morgan also stated that the situation could be resolved in a number of ways—including the utilization of the franchise tag.

“We would definitely use it if we had to use it,” he said. “And we love Brian. Brian’s a Panther. Somebody that I know, that I’m close to. I played with his brother. So, definitely love Brian. But all options are on the table.”

The Panthers have until Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET to place the franchise tag on Burns. If they do, which is seemingly a certainty according to multiple reports from this morning, the team will have until July 15 to reach a new contract with the 25-year-old pass rusher.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2024/0...y-combine/

With the big increase in the cap my guess is that Burns' demands got even crazier.  I believe he gets tagged but I still believe a tag and trade is very possible.  Dan talking him up to keep his trade value up, IMO. Can't just let him walk.  Either we get something for him or we get him at a reasonable price for a year.  Win, win.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-04-2024, 12:02 PM -
(03-04-2024, 10:40 AM)Ladypanther Wrote: ...........[Dan] Morgan also stated that the situation could be resolved in a number of ways—including the utilization of the franchise tag.

“We would definitely use it if we had to use it,” he said. “And we love Brian. Brian’s a Panther. Somebody that I know, that I’m close to. I played with his brother. So, definitely love Brian. But all options are on the table.”

The Panthers have until Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET to place the franchise tag on Burns. If they do, which is seemingly a certainty according to multiple reports from this morning, the team will have until July 15 to reach a new contract with the 25-year-old pass rusher.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2024/0...y-combine/

With the big increase in the cap my guess is that Burns' demands got even crazier.  I believe he gets tagged but I still believe a tag and trade is very possible.  Dan talking him up to keep his trade value up, IMO. Can't just let him walk.  Either we get something for him or we get him at a reasonable price for a year.  Win, win.

EXACTLY. -- PRECISELY. -- AGREED..

And a second tag next year is possible as well.... Although, as I've said several times, I believe some team will want him for a SB run this year.  If someone takes him off of the tag (non-exclusive), we get two (2) #1 picks in return.  If a trade happens (separate from the "tag" process..), we could end up with anything... picks; players; value of any sort...  I see him leaving maybe off of the "tag" = two #1 for us. If a trade happens, I see a #1 and a #2 or #3, plus maybe a later round or possibly a player...

In any event, something is going to happen. (Pretty safe bet, huh.??)  Big Grin
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-04-2024, 01:02 PM -
What gets me is that we were offered two count 'em, TWO first round picks for him in 2022. That means we would have had TWO first round picks in 2023 and still have one this season after the DJ Moore trade, but no. Never happened.
This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 01:03 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-04-2024, 01:28 PM -
(03-04-2024, 01:02 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: What gets me is that we were offered two count 'em, TWO first round picks for him in 2022.  That means we would have had TWO first round picks in 2023 and still have one this season after the DJ Moore trade, but no.  Never happened.

Hard to tell about the reasoning behind certain actions. Probably considered that Burns was still in the middle of his rookie contract and was a cheap player at the position.  NOW... at the end of the contract, he is no longer cheap.  AND, he's not performing at an elite level.  Sure, he's good, but he's NOT elite.  The only thing elite about Burns right now is his EGO.....

He's underperforming and "dogging it" on the field.  As far as I'm concerned, he's history.
Josh21
Posting Freak

1,192 posts 63 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-05-2024, 11:22 AM -
Well, he’s tagged…now what?
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-05-2024, 01:36 PM -
The Panthers have placed the Franchise Tag on Brian Burns.  We'll see how this develops.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-p...rian-burns

CHARLOTTE — The Panthers took a step Tuesday to make sure a key part of their defense remained in place.

The team placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on outside linebacker Brian Burns.

The 25-year-old Burns is coming off an 8.0-sack season. That output was obviously complicated by the fact he never got to rush with a lead in the fourth quarter, keeping him out of the kind of situations he can take advantage of with his speed and explosiveness. Both the Panthers' wins last year came on walk-off field goals, so opponents never had to try to pass to catch up.

The 2019 first-rounder has 46.0 sacks in five seasons and has been to two Pro Bowls. He's one of just five players in the league to record 7.0 or more sacks in each of the last five seasons.

The only player in franchise history with more sacks in their first five seasons was Julius Peppers (52.5 from 2002-06).

The Panthers haven't used the franchise tag since 2021, when they put it on right tackle Taylor Moton and eventually signed him to a long-term deal that summer.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-05-2024, 02:26 PM -
(03-05-2024, 11:22 AM)Josh21 Wrote: Well, he’s tagged…now what?

OKAY.....

I think we may have discussed this earlier, but just in case.....  For clarity then, when folks talk about "tagging" a player there are three potential scenarios. Lots of folks don't realize that and fewer still actually understand the intricacies and the differences.  So, quickly then, there are three different Franchise Tag possibilities. First is the "Transition Tag"; Second is the "Exclusive Tag"; And third is the "Non-exclusive Tag". The Panthers have placed the "Non-exclusive Tag" on Brian Burns. The 'Exclusive' tag and the 'Transition' tag do not apply in this case. There are some significant differences between the three "tags", most of which are with respect to the amount of money owed to the player, and the player's ability to negotiate a contract when the "tag" is in place. Since the Transition Tag and the Exclusive Tag do not apply, I'll just skip them for now.

In this case, the Panthers have decided to use the NON-exclusive tag on Burns. This was the only smart thing to do under the circumstances. THIS tag will pay Burns about $24M for one year. (I think it's actually just slightly less than $24M..). Burns will be obligated to play for one year at the contract amount. Burns retains the right to negotiate with other teams while he is under the tag. IF another team offers Burns a contract, the Panthers have the right to "match" the contract and Burns would remain a Panther. If the Panthers choose NOT to match the contract, Burns would go to whichever team made the contract offer and that team would owe the Panthers TWO 1st round draft picks.  The Panthers could also TRADE Burns to any other interested team. This "trade" could occur any time before the trade deadline and the 'tag compensation' would not apply. In that case another team could offer draft picks, other players, or "other" forms of compensation to the Panthers just like a regular trade. In Burns case, the amount offered in trade would **probably** be one 1st Rd. draft pick and a lesser pick or two, as well as an additional player possibly.

All of this is contingent upon Burns 'signing' the tag. If Burns chooses to NOT sign the tag, then he will not be allowed to play this year at all (unless he signs with another team..). The Panthers also have the right to rescind the tag at any time before it is signed....(remember Josh Norman..??). Now, there are two 'hard' dates involved with the "TAG". The first is Tuesday, March 5th (TODAY), at 4:00 PM when the tag has to be placed (IT WAS PLACED),  and the second is the date by which it has to be signed by the player which I believe is July 15th. (I'm not absolutely sure about that date...).  The first date is TODAY.... And Burns has been tagged.

SO.... Will Burns sign the tag..?????   WHO KNOWS..??!!!??!!!???  The absolute best result for the Panthers (IMHO..) would be for Burns to negotiate a deal with another team for a long-term contract. Official negotiations open on the 13th, with the "tampering period" opening on the 11th.  If Burns gets a contract offer the Panthers SHOULD let him sign it and leave. The Panthers would then get TWO 1st Rd picks --- and all would be well in PantherLand. If the Panthers match the offer, they would then be on the hook for the contract amount offered by the other team. (TERRIBLE idea..!!). Alternatively, if Burns doesn't get a contract offer that he likes, the Panthers could still trade him at any time up to the trade deadline.... but would receive less for him (probably).

Anyway, as you can see, there are multiple possibilities. How it will play out, no one knows. As FC mentioned in another thread, it could drag out for awhile especially if Burns doesn't get any offers he likes.....

***I think all of this is pretty much correct. But I can also be wrong, and sometimes I am....***
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 02:32 PM by Hobbit99.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

03-05-2024, 02:46 PM -
(03-05-2024, 01:36 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: The Panthers have placed the Franchise Tag on Brian Burns.  We'll see how this develops.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-p...rian-burns

CHARLOTTE — The Panthers took a step Tuesday to make sure a key part of their defense remained in place.

The team placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on outside linebacker Brian Burns.

The 25-year-old Burns is coming off an 8.0-sack season. That output was obviously complicated by the fact he never got to rush with a lead in the fourth quarter, keeping him out of the kind of situations he can take advantage of with his speed and explosiveness. Both the Panthers' wins last year came on walk-off field goals, so opponents never had to try to pass to catch up.

The 2019 first-rounder has 46.0 sacks in five seasons and has been to two Pro Bowls. He's one of just five players in the league to record 7.0 or more sacks in each of the last five seasons.

The only player in franchise history with more sacks in their first five seasons was Julius Peppers (52.5 from 2002-06).

The Panthers haven't used the franchise tag since 2021, when they put it on right tackle Taylor Moton and eventually signed him to a long-term deal that summer.

A pretty good discussion of the "TAG" on the other thread about Burns.

THREAD ABOUT BURNS AND THE TAG
This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 02:47 PM by Hobbit99.
PantherFan007
Administrator

03-05-2024, 05:59 PM -
Carolina Panthers Apply Non-Exclusive Franchise Tender to OLB Brian Burns (msn.com)

In Charlotte, North Carolina, news has surfaced that the Carolina Panthers have utilized the non-exclusive franchise tag on their standout outside linebacker Brian Burns, just ahead of the league’s deadline.

Burns, who is 25 years old and a veteran of two Pro Bowls, is positioned to earn a whopping $24 million for the 2024 season under the franchise tag. He has until July 15 to potentially secure a long-term deal with the team.

The terms of the non-exclusive tag allow Burns the opportunity to engage in negotiations with other NFL teams. Should Burns agree to terms with another team, the Panthers have the option to match the offer. Alternatively, if they choose to let Burns go, they will receive two first-round draft picks as compensation from the signing team.
Over his impressive five-year tenure with the Panthers, Burns has amassed 46 sacks. His performance last season saw eight sacks—a number influenced by the Panthers’s on-field struggles, as they did not lead in the fourth quarter throughout the entire season, affecting Burns’s ability to maximize pass rush chances. Remarkably, both victories secured by the Panthers last season were achieved through walk-off field goals.

Only Julius Peppers, the recent Hall of Fame inductee, has recorded more sacks in his first five seasons with the Panthers, notching 52 1/2 between 2002 and 2006. Prior to Burns, the last time the Panthers applied the franchise tag was in 2021 to offensive tackle Taylor Moton, who subsequently landed a long-term contract.

FAQ Section
What does a non-exclusive franchise tag mean for Brian Burns? The non-exclusive franchise tag allows Brian Burns to discuss contract terms with other NFL teams, but gives the Carolina Panthers the right to match any offers he receives or get two first-round draft picks as compensation if they decline to match. What is the financial implication of the franchise tag on Brian Burns for the 2024 season? If Brian Burns does not agree to a contract extension before July 15, he would play the 2024 season for a salary of $24 million under the franchise tag. Who has more sacks than Burns in their first five seasons with the Panthers? Julius Peppers holds the record for most sacks in the first five seasons with the Panthers, tallying 52 1/2 sacks, compared to Burns’s 46. When was the last time the Panthers used the franchise tag before Brian Burns? The Panthers last used the franchise tag in 2021 on Taylor Moton, who eventually signed a long-term contract with the team.

Conclusion
The Carolina Panthers have moved decisively to secure their defensive asset, outside linebacker Brian Burns, applying a non-exclusive franchise tag to him. This strategic move underscores Burns’s importance to the Panthers’ defense and projects a high potential for his performance in the upcoming season. It remains to be seen whether he will negotiate with other teams or reach an agreement for a long-term contract with the Panthers. Either way, Burns’s presence on the field is sure to be a significant element of the Panthers’ game plan for the 2024 season.