Started by BlackCatzFan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

19 posts in this topic
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-13-2024, 08:10 AM -
OK, seems that Jonson has quite the diva rep. Here's what Joe Person wrote:

Dan Morgan got one of the playmakers Tuesday he sought in Diontae Johnson.

But did the Carolina Panthers general manager also get one of the “dawgs” he famously referred to during his introductory news conference … or a mercurial receiver with a history of dogging it when things don’t go his way?

It likely depends on how often Bryce Young targets Johnson this season after the Panthers acquired the sixth-year wideout in a trade with the Pittsburgh Steelers that will become official Wednesday with the start of the league year.

Johnson is hardly the first wideout to earn his diva stripes. Steve Wilks didn’t have much use for the last one to play in Carolina, prompting Scott Fitterer to ship Robbie Anderson to Arizona for a pair of late-round picks after Anderson threw a hissy fit on the sideline in Wilks’ first game as interim coach in 2022.

But after watching Young get knocked around last year while waiting for receivers to get open, the Panthers weren’t in a position to be picky when it came to categories such as “plays well with others” and “dives on loose balls.”

And it’s not like they gave up a lot for Johnson, who was second-team All-Pro as a rookie and a Pro Bowler as recently as 2021. Morgan sent cornerback Donte Jackson, who was set to become a salary-cap cut Wednesday and a sixth-round pick (No. 178) to Pittsburgh for Johnson and a seventh-round selection (No. 240).

With Johnson’s production declining as he entered the final year of his contract, the Steelers were willing to move the 27-year-old receiver. After a season in which defensive backs stuck to Carolina wideouts like gum on a sandal, the Panthers were willing takers. They’ll pick up Johnson’s $3 million roster bonus and $7 million salary in what amounts to a one-year trial run.

If Johnson gets open, picks up yards after the catch and keeps his mood swings to a minimum, maybe Morgan and Dave Canales have him stick around through the rebuild. If he is inconsistent, complains to Young about throwing him the ball and fights with teammates — which he did in each of his last two seasons in Pittsburgh — well, it was worth a shot.

Asked for the scouting report on the 5-10, 183-pound Johnson, a pair of longtime personnel executives with other teams both began with snarky comments about his attitude. “Pain in the ass,” one said, “both on the field and off.”

But both praised Johnson’s playmaking ability, with one calling him and “quick and shifty” and the second scout describing him as a “good player (who’s) fast

When Johnson broke in with the Steelers as a third-round pick from Toledo in 2019, he ranked fifth in the league with an average separation of 3.6 yards, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. Johnson’s separation became a little tighter each season through 2023, when his 2.9-yard average was tied for 54th among a group of 12 other receivers that included the Panthers’ Adam Thielen.

Thielen, who turns 34 in August, posted a 1,000-yard receiving season in his first year in Charlotte. Thielen again figures to line up predominantly in the slot, with Johnson the likely X and Jonathan Mingo the Z. But Canales likes to use his receivers in different spots, and Morgan is more interested in playmaking upside than alignment.

Johnson is an excellent route-runner, an area where he should be able to help Mingo improve after the second-round pick’s raw rookie season in that department. Johnson gets in and out of breaks quickly, and the Panthers hope he can rediscover his form from 2021, when he pulled down 107 passes (most of them from Ben Roethlisberger) for 1,161 yards and eight touchdowns — all career highs.

https://theathletic.com/5337755/2024/03/...son-trade/

An interesting set of negatives for the Panthers to take on especially with a young struggling QB. I assume Canales has worked with a few divas in his career..must think he can teach him some patience...and manners...lol.
OceanPanther

106 posts 11 threads Joined: Mar 2020
03-13-2024, 10:05 AM -
(03-12-2024, 06:33 PM)Ladypanther Wrote: What do we know about Johnson?

Your video highlights ,  he looks good.

Primadonna at WR ,,  sighhhhh,,  we always want the team player, but i'm beginning to think that is rare at WR in the NFL .

His stats are pretty good considering he's not the number 1 WR at Pitt.  

His QB's haven't been steller either..  Roethlisberger at the end of his career,  Mason Rudolp, Mitch Trubisky, Kenny Pickett,

I'm hopefill
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-13-2024, 11:24 AM -
Two things I learned about Johnson from the Steelers Message Board.

Their fans take on him?

1.  Crybaby

2.  Nicknamed him "Dropsy Johnson".

Sick Dodgy
This post was last modified: 03-13-2024, 11:25 AM by PantherFan007.
Firstchance

715 posts 81 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-14-2024, 07:53 AM -
(03-13-2024, 11:24 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Two things I learned about Johnson from the Steelers Message Board.

Their fans take on him?

1.  Crybaby

Sick Dodgy

You left out #3

A$$hole. Whatever that means?
Ladypanther

481 posts 77 threads Joined: Oct 2023
03-14-2024, 08:03 AM -
Johnson has well known Diva problems for sure.  But you know fans can turn against a player very quickly, especially when they are no longer on the team. I'll take a little of that with a grain of salt.  No doubt Dan and Dave know what they are getting and have a plan for dealing with the negatives.
OceanPanther

106 posts 11 threads Joined: Mar 2020
03-14-2024, 09:25 AM -
As I was listening to the radio yesterday,, the commentary was that Johnson had one bad year for dropping passes.. since then he's been in the bottom third in the league ,, which is good.
Lets hope he has his head on straight,, winning is his goal,, and we're all happy come this coming January
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-14-2024, 12:49 PM -
Part of the problem with Diontae Johnson is perception. I'm not going to bad-mouth the Steelers fans or their message board because we have the same problem here in Carolina.  Fans are a fickle bunch. A small handful can warp the reality around a player, especially when the reality is made up of a series of small soundbites posted as "click-bait" in the digital on-line world.

If a person has the time and energy, Johnson's record can be straightened out. If you take out the hype, the personal bias, and the animosity generated by "fans" behind a keyboard, the truth will shine through. Johnson had one bad year (2020 I think..) with about 10 drops. Since then it's down to almost nothing. In 2023, last year, Johnson had two (2) drops all year. 

As far as being a "Diva" --- Well, almost all NFL players are Divas. Johnson may show out some, but as long as it's "sane and fit for human consumption", I really don't care too much. Just play football and support the team. That's all I ask.  Well......almost all, anyway.

For some balance here --- If you were to look up the word "Diva" and "NFL" in the same breath, you would get a handful of players, none of which would be Deontae Johnson. For the poster-boy of "Diva-hood" in the NFL, you need look no further than (---???????---). Fill in the blank here. Your choice.  My choice would be good ol' AB -- Antonio Brown. Never could stay out of trouble. His mouth would always overload his as*.  Now, THAT'S a Diva.!!!  (Actually -- Between Brown, Beckham Jr., Chad Johnson - Ochocinco,  and Terrell Owens, there isn't even room on the list for Deontae...).

I have full confidence that Dan Morgan knows what is 'fact' and what is 'fiction'. Deontae Johnson SHOULD be just fine. ---- Now watch, Johnson will prove me wrong..... Please no... 
Praying
This post was last modified: 03-14-2024, 12:57 PM by Hobbit99.
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
BlackCatzFan

370 posts 43 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-14-2024, 05:26 PM -
(03-14-2024, 12:49 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Part of the problem with Diontae Johnson is perception. I'm not going to bad-mouth the Steelers fans or their message board because we have the same problem here in Carolina.  Fans are a fickle bunch. A small handful can warp the reality around a player, especially when the reality is made up of a series of small soundbites posted as "click-bait" in the digital on-line world.

If a person has the time and energy, Johnson's record can be straightened out. If you take out the hype, the personal bias, and the animosity generated by "fans" behind a keyboard, the truth will shine through. Johnson had one bad year (2020 I think..) with about 10 drops. Since then it's down to almost nothing. In 2023, last year, Johnson had two (2) drops all year. 

As far as being a "Diva" --- Well, almost all NFL players are Divas. Johnson may show out some, but as long as it's "sane and fit for human consumption", I really don't care too much. Just play football and support the team. That's all I ask.  Well......almost all, anyway.

For some balance here --- If you were to look up the word "Diva" and "NFL" in the same breath, you would get a handful of players, none of which would be Deontae Johnson. For the poster-boy of "Diva-hood" in the NFL, you need look no further than (---???????---). Fill in the blank here. Your choice.  My choice would be good ol' AB -- Antonio Brown. Never could stay out of trouble. His mouth would always overload his as*.  Now, THAT'S a Diva.!!!  (Actually -- Between Brown, Beckham Jr., Chad Johnson - Ochocinco,  and Terrell Owens, there isn't even room on the list for Deontae...).

I have full confidence that Dan Morgan knows what is 'fact' and what is 'fiction'. Deontae Johnson SHOULD be just fine. ---- Now watch, Johnson will prove me wrong..... Please no... 
Praying

Fickle fickle fickle. 
Exactly.  And we(fans) are all guilty of it.  Especially me.  I feel this movement in FA to be refreshing, sometimes it’s better to rip the bandaid off and let things work out than trying the same old crap.  Simple as this:  don’t want to be here? See ya! I am a Panther fan before I’m a Player fan.  Panthers let me down many many times.  Just like they do.  But it’s not the end of the world
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

2,763 posts 503 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-14-2024, 06:39 PM -
(03-14-2024, 05:26 PM)BlackCatzFan Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 12:49 PM)Hobbit99 Wrote: Part of the problem with Diontae Johnson is perception. I'm not going to bad-mouth the Steelers fans or their message board because we have the same problem here in Carolina.  Fans are a fickle bunch. A small handful can warp the reality around a player, especially when the reality is made up of a series of small soundbites posted as "click-bait" in the digital on-line world.

Praying

Fickle fickle fickle. 
Exactly.  And we(fans) are all guilty of it.  Especially me.  I feel this movement in FA to be refreshing, sometimes it’s better to rip the bandaid off and let things work out than trying the same old crap.  Simple as this:  don’t want to be here? See ya! I am a Panther fan before I’m a Player fan.  Panthers let me down many many times.  Just like they do.  But it’s not the end of the world

NICELY SAID—-AND EXACTLY RIGHT
"A Reasoned Response From A Reasonable Mind"
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,156 posts 707 threads Joined: Dec 2019
03-15-2024, 06:30 PM -
(03-14-2024, 07:53 AM)Firstchance Wrote:
(03-13-2024, 11:24 AM)PantherFan007 Wrote: Two things I learned about Johnson from the Steelers Message Board.

Their fans take on him?

1.  Crybaby

Sick Dodgy

You left out #3

A$$hole. Whatever that means?

Fblaugh