Started by Hobbit99

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,029 posts 563 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-02-2023, 05:47 PM -
I know all of the talk is about coaches...... But the Panthers still have a QB quandary. What is going to happen.??  It's hard to tell right now, but there have been several scenarios bouncing around. 

1) Move up in the draft and take your choice.  This COULD happen but still would probably require a "bridge" veteran...

2) Stick with Darnold and move forward with Matt Corral.  This also COULD happen. And Corral almost assuredly will get an opportunity.

3) Use some sort of a combination of Darnold, PJ, and Corral.  Uhh.... I don't think this is very likely..... But, who knows.

4) Trade Darnold for ...(????) and move forward thinking Corral for the future.

5) Look to Free Agency for another veteran, and at the same time (maybe--possibly.?) draft the next, newest thing.  This is where things could get interesting really fast.

The latest information available seems to indicate thet the 49ers are set to part ways with Jimmy G even after a surprisingly good and effective 2022 season up until he was injured. 

MSN:  Garoppolo Apparently NOT Part Of 49ers Future Plans

Sooo, combine this latest with the previously mentioned Derek Carr stuff.... The Panthers QB dilemma is set to catch fire.
Firstchance
Posting Freak

760 posts 85 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-02-2023, 07:27 PM -
Thinking Darnold is a free agent. But I would try to resign him for 2-3 years, see what Matt is capable of doing and either draft Hooker in round 2 or wait till next year which has so much qb talent.

As you can most likely tell, I’m high on Hooker. (And high on next years talent).
PantherFan007
Administrator

2,334 posts 754 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-02-2023, 09:16 PM -
The one thing I worry about with Matt Corral is that (1) he was injured a bit in college, and (2) he came into the NFL and didn't make it past the batter's box. 

I like Darnold as a veteran presence, but not particularly for Corral. 

I do like Jimmy G, but it also looks like Derek Carr is about to be handed his walking papers.  (HERE)

There are going to be a few "veteran" players available, but some of them aren't coming here to backup a rookie, which I believe in all reality is what is going to happen.

But who knows.  Why is this all taking so long??? lol Are we "there yet"???
This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 09:18 PM by PantherFan007.
Hobbit99
Posting Freak

3,029 posts 563 threads Joined: Dec 2019
02-02-2023, 09:38 PM -
(02-02-2023, 07:27 PM)Firstchance Wrote: Thinking Darnold is a free agent. But I would try to resign him for 2-3 years, see what Matt is capable of doing and either draft Hooker in round 2 or wait till next year which has so much qb talent.

As you can most likely tell, I’m high on Hooker. (And high on next years talent).

Well, you're right I think.  Darnold may very well BECOME a FA. He is, however, NOT a FA right now. So, theoretically, the Panthers could re-sign Darnold without allowing him to "test" the FA market. Free Agency doesn't begin until the new contract year starts. The date for the new contract year (and for FA..) is March 15. I suspect that particular decision, about FA, has already been made, although Frank Reich may push for a specific outcome. So, the decision about Darnold could hang in the balance.

I too am interested in H. Hooker. He looks to be capable and would come with a reduced cost. He has a high ceiling, but sadly a relatively low floor. Probably would be a good choice if we decided to go with a veteran as you suggested.  I really think we could be successful with Darnold, Carr, or Garoppolo. None of them are the long-term answer, but could hold us for at least a year and allow us to build more continuity.

(02-02-2023, 09:16 PM)PantherFan007 Wrote: The one thing I worry about with Matt Corral is that (1) he was injured a bit in college, and (2) he came into the NFL and didn't make it past the batter's box. 

I like Darnold as a veteran presence, but not particularly for Corral. 

I do like Jimmy G, but it also looks like Derek Carr is about to be handed his walking papers.  (HERE)

There are going to be a few "veteran" players available, but some of them aren't coming here to backup a rookie, which I believe in all reality is what is going to happen.

But who knows.  Why is this all taking so long??? lol Are we "there yet"???

I'm not sure why Darnold could not be a veteran bridge for Corral...?? I'm sure you have your thoughts, but..????  Huh

Yes, both Carr and Garoppolo COULD end up on the table. Along with Darnold, that would make three potential veterans for Reich and Fitts to choose from.... if that's the way they wanted to move forward.

I don't think any veteran would come here with the idea of being a B/U to a rookie. I rather believe, as First mentioned, that a veteran would sign a 2-3 yr contract as a starting QB while working a rookie into the lineup over a year or so. In other words a "bridge" to a rookie in the future.

LOL.. You can't ask "Are we there yet.?"  That only works from inside a vehicle moving down the road.!!   Taunt
This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 09:51 PM by Hobbit99.